Gastroenteritus on Boudicca

trinitytrees

I also came down with a horrendous cold after returning from Boudicca. It's the worst I have had in many years, and the first sick leave I have awarded myself since retirement. I had days of feeling really low, and I've still got sniffles and a hacking cough.

My, that is one sick ship.

I also came down with a horrendous cold after returning from Boudicca. It's the worst I have had in many years, and the first sick leave I have awarded myself since retirement. I had days of feeling really low, and I've still got sniffles and a hacking cough.

My, that is one sick ship.

Get well soon hun. Yes i know the feeling i had two days off work. Still full of it nose and chesty cough. this is the first time i have been bad after a cruise. Maybe Boudicca could do with a dose antibiotics.

Chrissy

One memory that sticks with me is from before we set sail on Boudicca.

We went to the Secret Garden for a quick snack soon after we boarded, and noted that there was someone being shown round the serveries.

This appeared to be a hygiene consultant, or similar, as he was giving some advice on his way round.

The piece of advice that I particularly recall was that tongs used at buffets should be regularly replaced with clean ones, to avoid too many different hand touching them.

Needless to say, at buffet breakfast next morning, the tongs were there for the whole session, so each had the potential of being handled by 800 plus passengers.

As we know, and have discussed, some passengers are the filthiest scum on this earth, and do not believe that clean hands are essential for their own health (they won't worry about other peoples' health, so don't try pushing that one).

Is it any wonder that norovirus keeps recurring?

The piece of advice that I particularly recall was that tongs used at buffets should be regularly replaced with clean ones, to avoid too many different hand touching them.

Simple solution: use a napkin to hold the tongs and then don't use it to touch your food, wipe your mouth etc.

Simple solution: use a napkin to hold the tongs and then don't use it to touch your food, wipe your mouth etc.

what a simple solution,why has no one thought of it .

i bet some people would come up with an excuse for not using napkin if asked to do so.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I was on the April Canaries cruise when we were hit by the Novo on day 3.

On our return I wrote to FO on another matter, to thank them actually, on their great 60th birthday service on my birthday, so not to complain.

I did mention the noro bug though and thought/suggested that the Boudica was rather prone to it.

Their reply was interesting in that they suggest the incidence on the Boudica and ships that sail from the UK mirror the incidence of the noro bug on the UK mainland. So when there is high outbreaks of illness on the mainland it matches on the ships.

Interesting statistic if its correct and would suggest that passengers rather than the ship are to "blame".

I have to say I was rather down on the Boudica but doing a bit of research it seems its no worse or better than other ships. Just that us FO posters give it a hard time, me included.

Anyway on the Balmoral August 1st and looking forward to it.

Take it easy everbody.

As we know, and have discussed, some passengers are the filthiest scum on this earth, and do not believe that clean hands are essential for their own health (they won't worry about other peoples' health, so don't try pushing that one).

Is it any wonder that norovirus keeps recurring?

Got to agree with this comment. It applies everywhere, not just on board ships. I see people leaving toilet cubicles in department stores and going straight out into the shops without washing hands....disgusting.

On Queen Victoria a couple of years ago, some people were turned away from the self service for not using gel, yet still tried to sneak in....what is their problem? it won't kill them.

We take care of ourselves in that we carry gel on us and in the car, always putting on gel before going shopping and wiping hands with antibacterial wipes when getting back to the car. It might seem excessive and shouldn't be necessary, but as long as there's dirty so and so's around, we don't want to pick up their germs and be ill. On board, we seldom use the self service anyway, but always gel up before leaving the cabin and try to only use our own cabin toilet. I'm not going to have my holiday ruined by those that don't care. People that are ill and still leave their cabin against instructions should be locked up and thrown off the ship at the next port. It's just as serious an offence as being obnoxious or violent and can do more harm.

Archived