Ketchikan Transportation Options

sagnellae

Hello!

DH and I will be on the NCL Star May Repo cruise shortly. We had made plans for a kayak/floatplane tour but DH broke his ankle and now we have to do something different. We'd really like to get to see Creek Street but I don't know if he'll be up to walking to it from the cruise dock by the time we get there.

What are our options for transportation around Ketchikan?

Thank you!!

I recall reading about little electric cars for rent for use in downtown Ketchikan for a very reasonable price. They sort of look like modified golf carts and I believe a local store was renting them - seems to me they were $49.00 for several hours?? Sorry...memory isn't what it used to be. This might be just the thing to get your DH around to all the sights right in downtown Ketchikan for a reasonable cost. Hopefully one of our frequent Ketchikan posters, Rene (rditton) will see this and be able to respond with more concrete information.

Creek Street is very close to the cruise ship docks, and it is a pedestrian street (no cars). I would recommend getting a cab, or shuttle to Creek Street.

The electric cars would be a good option if you were planning to travel further.

Yes, as Assateague Island Princes said, there's little Electric Cards you can rent that are really nice for 1-4 people and can zoom around the downtown area. They rent for $50/hr and you can make arrangements in advance for them to meet you at your cruise ship so you don't have to walk to their shop!

Scroll to the bottom of this page for more info... http://www.experienceketchikan.com/alaska-car-rental.html

NCL ships berth at either Berth #2 or 3 (Pearl - #2, Star - #3) on their Repo arrivals. If you were to walk, that would mean about 6-8 blocks which would probably be uncomfortable for him. Check out the Walking Tour Map, or City Maps for more detailed info and to decide if he could walk there.

You could always take a Taxi to Creek Street and walk the boardwalk and then hail another taxi to take you back. I think you may be missing a significant amount though. The little electric cars are pretty snazzy and allow you to check out a lot more of the town than paying for separate taxi rides.

Of course you could also take some one of the tours that show you the downtown areas - the Duck Tour is a good one and takes you all around the town & you see a lot of the places. And they pick up and drop off at your ship, which could be easy for your DH.

Oh! I also just remembered - there is a Scooter Rental place that rents those little medical scooters (pardon me not knowing how to describe them!) in town. It's called Alaska Mobility Scotter Rentals. I know nothing about them and have left a message for them to return my call but their phone # is 907-247-3474 and e-mail is scooters@kpunet.net. Maybe that would work out for you too.

I hope this helps!

Rene

There is a free shuttle that operates around the downtown area including Creek St. There is also municipal transit that will take you out to Totem Bight State Park and to Saxman Village; the fare is $1 each way or $0.50 if you are a senior...you can also purchase an all day pass on transit for just a few dollars.:)

Wow! Thank you all so much for the helpful responses!

I'd love to do the electric cars but $50/hr is a little steep I think.

If I were to go that route though, how many hours would be enough to get to Creek St. and do some sight seeing/lunch. Is there all that much to look at there? I can't imagine it's a very big area :o

As Putterdude stated, there is public transportation available. You'll be arriving on Berth #3 so DH would have to walk to Eagle Park and could pick up the bus there. Then it drops you off very near Creek Street.

Creek Street can be meandered in 5 minutes or an hour if you want to go inside each store, stop at Dolly's House, and look for the salmon in the creek (though there's none yet).

There's a scattering of restaurants on Creek Street - a Chinese place, a Thai House, a Halibut & Chips place, or you could also take the Funicular up to Cape Fox Lodge where they also serve an incredible meal (but pricey).

My opinion is you will be able to do more by renting the little electric carts. You can drive around the downtown 'loop' stopping at Rainbow Falls, the Salmon Ladder, City Park, Totem Heritage Center, the Fish Hatchery & Eagle Center, etc. These places are all within walking distance, bus stops, & cab rides too. The 'ease' of it is what I think is the selling feature.

Or, as I said previously - let someone else do the driving for you! There are lots of 'City Tour' vendors in town that will show you a good time. Enjoy and see you in a short 2 weeks! :-)

Putterdude, as far as I know, the free shuttle may not be running this season. I hate to even put a rumor out there and as soon as I know for sure, I'll let you know.

Or, as I said previously - let someone else do the driving for you! There are lots of 'City Tour' vendors in town that will show you a good time. Enjoy and see you in a short 2 weeks! :-)

By "City Tour" vendors do you mean people that you can locate on your day of arrival that would contract at that time with you for a certain amount to take you for as many hours as you wanted?

Putterdude, as far as I know, the free shuttle may not be running this season. I hate to even put a rumor out there and as soon as I know for sure, I'll let you know.

Thanks for the information, let's hope that it does continue, it certainly is/was a great way to get an overview of the downtown area. Is it subsidized by the downtown merchants??

Archived