Is Carnival Superstitious?

Toast1412

Do Carnival Ships leave out Deck13 for some reason?

Deck numbers (on ships that are big enough) appear to go from 12 to 14 skipping 13.

I know other cruise lines have deck 13's so is Carnival ultra superstitious?:eek:

I don't know if it's fair to say that Carnival is superstitious. It might be more accurate to note that they're keeping with custom, since there are many high-rise hotels without a floor that is number 13.

Deck numbers (on ships that are big enough) appear to go from 12 to 14 skipping 13.

I know other cruise lines have deck 13's so is Carnival ultra superstitious?:eek:

None of the "mass market" cruise lines have a deck 13

I believe the only cruise ships with a deck 13 are those where deck 13 is not a stateroom deck. I work in a highrise building and I actually work on the 13th floor. I can't tell you how many people get in the elevator with me and comment on the fact that we're on the 13th floor.

---

Toast1412: Yes but it is not just Carnival ships. Many high-rise hotels/buildings do the same thing.

The Dream does have 13XX cabin numbers.

Airplanes do not have a row 13.

Hmm, the highest deck with cabins is 12 though. I had noticed on the deck plans a few weeks ago that none of them ended in 13. I was trying to see some sort of rhyme or reason as to how they numbered those crazy cabins!

It's not just the decks that have no number 13. I've been studying the deck plans and none of the staterooms have a number 13 in them. For example, it goes from 8111 to 8115. Let's hope no black cats (catfish?) cross the ships path.:D

• 2 months later...
None of the "mass market" cruise lines have a deck 13

That's not true. I know that NCL (at least the one ship I was on, the Pride of Hawaii, now the NCL Jade) has a Deck 13.

Interestingly, although most hotels do not have a 13th floor, they do have XX13 room numbers. Interestingly, on my honeymoon, our hotel room number was 1413, in a building with no 13th floor, which means it really should have been 1313. I wonder why they would think that a 13XX room number would bother people, but not a XX13 room number.

I've seen the same thing in hospitals with highrise towers. No 13th floor, goes from #12 to #14. To me that is even more odd than changing the numbering of decks on a cruise ship. Fussing over your deck or cabin number that you will have on vacation is one thing, but do they think patients will balk over being admitted to the hospital if they are to be in a room on the 13th floor? You'd think if you are sick enough to need hospitalization you'd be willing to overlook the floor number, but maybe not.

Likewise in Vegas hotels, #13 is often avoided. Wynn has no floor 13, and also avoids #4 or 40 through 49 due to this being a bad luck number in Asia.

Archived