Grand Cayman: Tender Port? & Stingray Waverunner Question

princessvero

Is Grand Cayman a tender port? I will be sailing on the Carnival Glory this Sunday and the cruise docs do not list GC as a tender port, but I've read several places online that it is. I'm trying to finalize excursion plans and need to know if I need to leave extra time for tendering or not.

Also, our ship is docked in GC from 10:00am-6:00pm (ship time I assume). We'd like to do the Stingray City Waverunner Excursion with Island Marketing, but the only slot they have open is at 2:00pm (ship time), meaning we'd be back at the port (supposedly) at 4:30pm (ship time). Is this doable or too close to departure time?

GC is a tender port - the ride is short but loading and unloading the tenders can take some time.

We were in GC last week on Inspiration and they wanted us in line for the tender by 2:00 for a 3:00 departure, so getting back to the pier at 4:30 for a 6:00 departure will work, but if your tour has any troubles (traffic issues, broken boat/waverunner :() you have no margin of error. :eek:

Good luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...

If your excursion is close to arrival, the lines for tenders on board can be long waits - figure that into your schedule.

On the way back, while the lines to board the tenders may be long, as long as you were on a ships excursion, you should be fine.

Enjoy!

we are looking at the same excursion when we arrive in July. DW, DD and I. Any particulars that we should know or you wan to share. We have never jet skied before, is easy/hard? How long are you are with the stingrays? Did yo go snorkling also or is that a different excursion?

Thanks

Mark

Our tour was about 3 hours, but they will cater to you and the time you need to be back at the port. The ride out in the ocean is pretty bumpy, but a lot of fun. The jet skis are easy to handle, so not jet skiing before should not be a problem. You are with the stingrays for about 30 minutes or so and then snorkel for about the same. That being said, they will work with you and if the group wants to stay longer then they will. Wear your life jacket when you snorkel! Wear sunglasses(with straps to hold them on if they are expensive) or goggles as your face will get sprayed with salt water!

We met our guide at 10:30, then after a 15 minute van ride, we were at the meeting place to get our waverunners. We did not have to be back at the port until 3:30, so we added a beach bar stop to the end of our tour. First we rode through the mangroves, then went to stingray city, then snorkeling, then the beach bar, then back to the meeting point. Our group was only us and another couple. We both loved it.

Thank you so much! They just emailed me back as well-I just need to decided if I should share w/ my husband or get my own jet ski. You would have rather had your own? Any reason for that in particular? I've only been one time on a 1000 acre lake, so I would assume much calmer waters than what we would have down there. When I rode w/ my husband I was terrified (simply because he was driving like an idiot on purpose!!:p) and then when I went by myself I was going about 1 mph....very leisurely because I was also a bit weary!!! I don't want to hold up the group, but I also don't want to regret not getting my own either!!! Any advice is much appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...

I did Fat Fish Adventures Jet ski 5/1/11 cruise. They picked us up on time. The van ride was was wonderful. The driver was very knowledgable and funny. They take you to a boat ramp to get on the jet skis. You pay and sign release form then you are ready. They will keep your personal items with driver. No where to change or personal needs so be ready.

I have one complaint, they went TOO _AMN FAST. They did not keep their eyes on the skiers. Rather went off and left us by going fast and hitting the waves.

If you are not a skilled rider, I do not suggest them. If you want to hit waves and go 50 miles, these are your people.

I was riding on the back (2 people), I had bruises on my thighs from holding on so tight. I have rode before and we do boating.

They were great people. The jet skis were in good condition. They were good with the sting rays. The time and tour itself was good but they went too fast.

We did Fat Fish last year and whenever we make it back to Cayman plan on doing them again. It was one of our top excursions. They do go fast but figured out that it was less bumpy if you went faster. We had only been on jetskis once before and once we got the hang of it we were fine. Our teenage boys had their own skis and it took one of them a little bit of time to get the hang of it and he went slower than the rest and was fine.

The stingrays were kind of creepy to me and I was the only one who originally wanted to go but could probably only see them once and be fine with it.

Have fun whichever tour you decide to go on.

Archived