Best car rental options in Cruz Bay?

WalleyeLJ

After tanking the idea of as bicycle in favor of staying alive, I'm looking at car rental options in Cruz Bay. Any good suggestions/recommendations?

Rental cars are limited on St. John, and one day rentals are lower on the pecking order than weeklies for the companies there that rent. depending on when you're going, there may not even be any available left.

You may want to consider renting on St. Thomas and going over on the car barge, rathet than the people ferry. The car barge will cost you more than the people ferry, but once you factor in taxi costs to the ferry terminal it gets pretty close, and I think that it allows you more freedom.

On St. John, you can try St. John Car Rental, Conrad Sutton, Denzil Clyne, L&L, Cool Breeze, and some others that I'm sure I'm forgetting.

On St. Thomas we usually use Dependable or Amalie. Some folks use Budget. Check to ensure that the company will allow their vehicles to go to St. John - some don't. Also, getting a 4WD is highly recommended. You may not need it, but it's nice to have if you do, especially when you're getting used to driving those roads for the first time.

Good luck - have fun (and I'm glad you abandoned the idea of trying to bike it - I don't think I'd ever ride a bike in Cruz Bay when the cruise ships are in port!)

Rental cars are limited on St. John, and one day rentals are lower on the pecking order than weeklies for the companies there that rent. depending on when you're going, there may not even be any available left.

You may want to consider renting on St. Thomas and going over on the car barge, rathet than the people ferry. The car barge will cost you more than the people ferry, but once you factor in taxi costs to the ferry terminal it gets pretty close, and I think that it allows you more freedom.

On St. John, you can try St. John Car Rental, Conrad Sutton, Denzil Clyne, L&L, Cool Breeze, and some others that I'm sure I'm forgetting.

On St. Thomas we usually use Dependable or Amalie. Some folks use Budget. Check to ensure that the company will allow their vehicles to go to St. John - some don't. Also, getting a 4WD is highly recommended. You may not need it, but it's nice to have if you do, especially when you're getting used to driving those roads for the first time.

Good luck - have fun (and I'm glad you abandoned the idea of trying to bike it - I don't think I'd ever ride a bike in Cruz Bay when the cruise ships are in port!)

Augie,

Terrific advice, especially the idea of renting directly on St. Thomas and taking the car barge over - thanks!

L.J.

Archived