Baltimore help, please! :)

Have you checked to see if your hotel offers a shuttle? I just stayed at a Best Western in Baltimore with a bus station attached, it was not that far from the harbor where the cruise dock is. I'd be looking elsewhere too if I was quoted $100 for taxi!

You can always take the light rail from the bus station to BWI and get the hotel shuttle from the airport

Not exactly. It's a pretty good walk, probably about 3/4 of a mile, between the Greyhound terminal and the Light Rail stop. You could take the MTA's No. 27 bus between the two. Or, you could just get a taxi. I believe that taxis hang out at the Greyhound station waiting for fares, but even if there are none there, a phone call will get one there in a few minutes.

Not exactly. It's a pretty good walk, probably about 3/4 of a mile, between the Greyhound terminal and the Light Rail stop. You could take the MTA's No. 27 bus between the two. Or, you could just get a taxi. I believe that taxis hang out at the Greyhound station waiting for fares, but even if there are none there, a phone call will get one there in a few minutes.

Yah, I tried to look it up and it really seemed like something I wouldn't want to have to deal with while carrying bags, not knowing the area. :confused:

I live in Baltimore. I'm assuming you are talking about the bus station located at 2110 HAINES ST. Please verify this before you follow the rest of my suggestions.

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT attempt to walk from here to the port. First, it's a very long walk. Second, it's not safe.

Your best bet is to take a taxi to the port. You can call the bus station direct. (410) 752-7682. They should be able to verify if cabs are hanging out. If not, just call one when your bus is getting close.

You were quoted $100 because you called a limousine company. If you wanted cab rates, then you call a cab company. Luxury comes with a price.

Enjoy your trip.

I live in Baltimore. I'm assuming you are talking about the bus station located at 2110 HAINES ST. Please verify this before you follow the rest of my suggestions.

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT attempt to walk from here to the port. First, it's a very long walk. Second, it's not safe.

Your best bet is to take a taxi to the port. You can call the bus station direct. (410) 752-7682. They should be able to verify if cabs are hanging out. If not, just call one when your bus is getting close.

You were quoted $100 because you called a limousine company. If you wanted cab rates, then you call a cab company. Luxury comes with a price.

Enjoy your trip.

YAY someone who knows exactly how to help me ;) LOL. thank you for your response.

Yes, that is the address. Is it so bad that I wouldn't want to wait for a taxi there, or just that we shouldn't walk anywhere?

The only reason why I called a limo company to begin with was because we used one there last time, got great service and a great price (business is closed now :()

I looked on mapquest...can you please verify that this sounds right.

We are looking to...

Take the bus to the station

Take a taxi to airport

Take hotel shuttle to Microtel BWI (1170 Winterson RD)

Sleep :)

Now, I'm wondering if it would be better to take a taxi from the hotel or get the shuttle back to the aiport and take a taxi from there...

Thank you so much for your time!! :)

Assuming they don't just drop you off on the street, I'd imagine you can wait inside for the taxi. I'd also think there will be some outside. Make sure you get a cab that has a light on the top and signs and that there is a hack license with a pic of the driver. Lot's of illegal operators in beautiful Baltimore. I would not walk away from the place. I think it's in an industrial area with a lot of warehouses. It's near our stadiums. But, it's not the quantity of the walk, it's the quality.

Might want to brush up on Baltimore. I suggest seasons 1 - 3 of The Wire. More realistic then our politicians like to admit.

Assuming they don't just drop you off on the street, I'd imagine you can wait inside for the taxi. I'd also think there will be some outside. Make sure you get a cab that has a light on the top and signs and that there is a hack license with a pic of the driver. Lot's of illegal operators in beautiful Baltimore. I would not walk away from the place. I think it's in an industrial area with a lot of warehouses. It's near our stadiums. But, it's not the quantity of the walk, it's the quality.

Might want to brush up on Baltimore. I suggest seasons 1 - 3 of The Wire. More realistic then our politicians like to admit.

:( haha now that I'm super nervous.....

I took my first trip on Greyhound from Baltimore last month. It's a nice, new, manned station but it's unfortunately not too close to much of anything.

When I arrived back into town, there were several cabs waiting for fares....

If you do decide to spend a night in a hotel, the closest to the bus station is the Holiday Inn Express Baltimore at the Stadiums. It's literally 2 blocks from the bus station. It should be safe enough to walk it in the daylight; (I was a little worried when I parked my car on the street overnight a block from the bus station, but it survived unscathed!)

Aloha,

John

I took my first trip on Greyhound from Baltimore last month. It's a nice, new, manned station but it's unfortunately not too close to much of anything.

When I arrived back into town, there were several cabs waiting for fares....

If you do decide to spend a night in a hotel, the closest to the bus station is the Holiday Inn Express Baltimore at the Stadiums. It's literally 2 blocks from the bus station. It should be safe enough to walk it in the daylight; (I was a little worried when I parked my car on the street overnight a block from the bus station, but it survived unscathed!)

Aloha,

John

thank you for the recommendation!!:)

Hopefully this will set your mind at ease. The Greyhound station in Baltimore is located in an industrial area. It's not particularly scenic (despite its waterfront location, ironically), but it's not particularly dangerous, either, at least not in the daytime.

If you want to minimize taxis and shuttles, then the Holiday Inn Express at the Stadiums is almost certainly your best bet. As the previous poster said, it is very close to the bus station. It fronts Russell Street, which is a major thru-road for commuters into and out of downtown Baltimore. I've not stayed there, but I've passed by it countless times, and it looks like a well-kept-up property. I believe that it offers a shuttle to the cruise port, though of course you'd want to confirm that with them directly.

Hopefully this will set your mind at ease. The Greyhound station in Baltimore is located in an industrial area. It's not particularly scenic (despite its waterfront location, ironically), but it's not particularly dangerous, either, at least not in the daytime.

If you want to minimize taxis and shuttles, then the Holiday Inn Express at the Stadiums is almost certainly your best bet. As the previous poster said, it is very close to the bus station. It fronts Russell Street, which is a major thru-road for commuters into and out of downtown Baltimore. I've not stayed there, but I've passed by it countless times, and it looks like a well-kept-up property. I believe that it offers a shuttle to the cruise port, though of course you'd want to confirm that with them directly.

Thank you!

Do you know how far the port is from the bus station?

Also, could you give me an estimate of the cost of a taxi from the bus station to the port?

:)

I would guess that the bus station is less than five miles from the terminal and shouldn't cost more than ten to twelve dollars.

The cab simply has to turn left onto Russell St. from the bus station, then go up a ramp onto I-95N, followed by a quick shot to Exit 55, Maryland Cruise Terminal.

Alternately, the taxi could go right onto Russell St., swing around to I-395 and then take an I-95N ramp just two short exits from Exit 55. It would be the same price or less.

Whichever, tell the driver to use the interstates. If he stays on city streets, he will be running up the fare.

I would guess that the bus station is less than five miles from the terminal and shouldn't cost more than ten to twelve dollars.

The cab simply has to turn left onto Russell St. from the bus station, then go up a ramp onto I-95N, followed by a quick shot to Exit 55, Maryland Cruise Terminal.

Alternately, the taxi could go right onto Russell St., swing around to I-395 and then take an I-95N ramp just two short exits from Exit 55. It would be the same price or less.

Whichever, tell the driver to use the interstates. If he stays on city streets, he will be running up the fare.

That information is EXTREMELY helpful...I've had a couple of bad taxi experiences with drivers running up fares because I didn't know the area.

Come in a night early and enjoy the waterfront area == The Inner Harbor. Some "cute" shops, lots of food from luxery to fast food court and lots in-between. The ball stadium is fun if the BIRDS are in town. With transportation out to the BWI area and back I doubt if you would save much money and in town is fun and food is easier to get to than the airport hotels which are pretty much set up for early flight trade and park and fly. Baltimore is a city and has the problems of the city but if you are at all aware and savy you should have no problem being safe. You need to be aware of your surroundings and personal safety no matter where you are. Go with confidence and HAVE FUN.

Archived