penthouse and ajoining mini,Do mini get same perks

Mr Robberts

Your cost analysis is not necessarily true...I know from personal experience that booking 8 people in a GV is less expensive than booking 7 in a GV and putting one in an inside cabin...

...and you have done this, when?

How about using real life examples instead of outlandish exaggerations just to try to make a point? :confused: Your earlier example was an AB with an adjoining mini, if I remember correctly was for 7 people? Why not book the Garden Villa?

I also stated that there are probably mitigating circumstances in your case as compared to others. ;)

PE

I can give a concrete example. We were going to book the AB suite (that's what it was then--it was the 2 bedroom suite on the Jewel) for 4 of us, and then put 2 in an adjoining balcony. After reading all the controversy on here regarding the perks and the uncertainty as to whether or not my two children (these are college age) would then be welcome to join us at Cagney's and for priority disembarking etc. I made the decision to put everyone--all six of us--into the AB suite. This saved us approximately $1000. Since we were all in the suite I did not need to ask for any special consideration. I was therefore much more comfortable and I was assured that we could have the family vacation we envisioned. As everyone has noted here--and it is quite understandable--it is up to the staff of NCL to determine participation of any non-suite guests. I did not want to leave that up to chance. We were further assisted by a very low additional passenger rate.

Yes, it did seem odd to me that for spending less money we could receive more service etc. And for anyone wondring how the heck we all fit into the suite--I'll tell you it was a fantastic vacation, there is tons of storage, and we were well prepared. LOL :)

You are absolutely correct. There are other factors in the granting of perks besides having adjoining cabins under the same booking. Cruise history has a little do with things and past friendships are also a huge factor.

No flames are really necessary if people would sit back and think about their own situation and how it fits into the discussion.

The Hotel Director has a lot of leeway in how things are run aboard their ship as long as a profit is not squandered in the process.

PE

Good points all around. On another thread a few weeks ago, this issue was posted. We had a group of four on the Jade with two family members in a suite and two not. The non-suite passengers were invited by the suite passengers a couple of times to eat at Cagney's, and the concerge allowed it. Cagney's was not crowded.

There were some very emotional posts, including one that referred to us eating in Cagney's as "freeloaders." That was over the top. Essentially, it was like getting an upgrade to first class on an airflight, and for a $30 value.

I understand the principle that if you open the floodgates, it harms the value of the perks for cruise passengers, but I do not appreciate being called a freeloader.

Your cost analysis is not necessarily true...I know from personal experience that booking 8 people in a GV is less expensive than booking 7 in a GV and putting one in an inside cabin...

This is true, but it is in this situation (paying much more than others) that we were put in the situation where we had to "ask" for privelege extension. We booked 6 persons total in the OS, AC, and BB connected because the GVs were sold already. Paid a few thousand more than the GV did, and had to ask for the extension to our two minors in the BB. Since we were traveling with four minors, this was the only combination that could work for us on this particular sailing (at the time the AB only accommodated five). The other situation was an OS with connected mini suite on the Sun (the only connectable situation with three minors). On the Sun, the privilege was extended automatically. In both cases, I had asked NCL ahead of time by phone and email and was always given the response that it would have to be requested to the HD on board. We used to have a lot of issues with this when all of the connected suites only accommodated two persons. Now that the suites are being updated to accommodate more, there should be less issue with people wanting to book the OS and attached AC for more than four people, and all will have suite priveleges included (too late for us as our children have both finally reached 21, but will be a blessing with our grandchildren someday).

Robin

As someone who pays the suite rates, I really do feel that it is not appropriate for the suite perks to be extended to others in the travel party.

But a lot of this (and many other issues on this board) could be handled by NCL setting actual policies fleet wide and then ensuring that their employees follow and enforce those policies. That would resolve this question, chair hogs, smoking in no smoking areas, etc.

FWIW, I think certain priveleges can easily be extended without impacting other suite guests experience - like suite embarkation, disembarkation, restaurant reservations, butler served suite meals (to a point*), etc. The ones that seem to cause issues are use of Cagney's, theater seating, courtyard priveleges. I think if we all answer these inquiries with an answer not to expect anything on the latter issues, people might be pleasantly surprised on board and appreciate the gesture. If we answer these inquiries with a "Yes, it worked for me", people will expect the exception and may be disappointed, perhaps even spoiling their cruise experience.

I have been on sailings where Cageny's was virtually empty, and some where it was so crowded that I have had to wait for a table several times. Some cruises the courtyard was peaceful, others where I never used it as there was not a single empty seat and eight kids in the hot tub. Hubby has missed shows when VIP theater seating was full, and gone to others where he was the only one utilizing it. I would be a bit miffed if I discovered that I was unable to enjoy my suite perks because of others' guests, as I am sure we would all be. Only the HD can determine expected usage on each particular sailing and extend any privileges, and I am sure he is doing a fine job. He can only do what he can for others' guests when the situation permits it, on others he has to put his foot down to protect the sanctity of the suite experience.

*-The reason I say "To a point" is that on one sailing, our butler was very busy serving seven to nine people two to three meals every day in a two person suite next door. They even had an extra table brought in for their "extra" meal guests for the duration of the cruise.. I feel this was truly taking advantage of the situation, and our poor butler was overworked and severely undertipped, seriously impacting his service to other guests. You can learn a lot talking to a butler you have known for a while ;).

Robin

But a lot of this (and many other issues on this board) could be handled by NCL setting actual policies fleet wide and then ensuring that their employees follow and enforce those policies. That would resolve this question, chair hogs, smoking in no smoking areas, etc.

I couldn't agree more.

...and you have done this' date=' when? [/color']

How about using real life examples instead of outlandish exaggerations just to try to make a point? :confused: Your earlier example was an AB with an adjoining mini, if I remember correctly was for 7 people? Why not book the Garden Villa?

I also stated that there are probably mitigating circumstances in your case as compared to others. ;)

PE

Why don't you back off Buckaroo..This cruise was booked as a family affair to celebrate the life of my mother, a long time cruiser, who passed last December. I don't appreciate you nip picking every thing I post. I have put a lot of time and effort in researching my options..

First off I booked the 8 of us in the Garden Villa on our 5/15 Gem cruise..I priced various options and asked about the perks before I made a decision.. There was a possibility that someone could end up in an inside cabin so I checked the pricing..

It doesn't matter what the final cost was, having to put someone in another cabin would have cost more.. Hows that for real life ???

I'm just passing along information...not opinions..Try checking with NCL directly instead of using the PE pipeline..

You mention mitigating circumstances..:rolleyes:..unlike you, I am not "pals" with various staff members.. I earn my perks the old fashioned was.I book suites.....

Many times the way NCL operates is not the way you think it should be..

As someone who pays the suite rates, I really do feel that it is not appropriate for the suite perks to be extended to others in the travel party.

I have seen pool attendants actually enforce the chair hog issue only to have said "hog" get right in the kids face screaming at him for giving "their" chairs away.

An officer got involved and replaced the attendant with another person. But, I did notice as the officer and pool attendant were walking away the officer had his arm around the shoulder of the kid and was talking very animatedly to him while patting him on the back.

PE

This is true, but it is in this situation (paying much more than others) that we were put in the situation where we had to "ask" for privelege extension. We booked 6 persons total in the OS, AC, and BB connected because the GVs were sold already. Paid a few thousand more than the GV did, and had to ask for the extension to our two minors in the BB. Since we were traveling with four minors, this was the only combination that could work for us on this particular sailing (at the time the AB only accommodated five). The other situation was an OS with connected mini suite on the Sun (the only connectable situation with three minors). On the Sun, the privilege was extended automatically. In both cases, I had asked NCL ahead of time by phone and email and was always given the response that it would have to be requested to the HD on board. We used to have a lot of issues with this when all of the connected suites only accommodated two persons. Now that the suites are being updated to accommodate more, there should be less issue with people wanting to book the OS and attached AC for more than four people, and all will have suite priveleges included (too late for us as our children have both finally reached 21, but will be a blessing with our grandchildren someday).

Robin

I would say if you didn't pay for it you shouldn't get it. In most cases I read here I stick to that, but when you have a history as you do (suites), and it truely is family where other accommodation can't be met I can understand that. What grinds me and others is the " We booked an aft. suite and our other friends (four other cabins) are all BB's we'd like to have them all eat breakfast with us at Cangney's....what does everyone think??" types. If your given VIP status no problem there. Like someone said just like an upgrade on the airlines...it happens. For people that fall into the "I have a suite my friends don't group...IMHO your in the same class as the chair hogs.....NO CLASS !!;)

I can give a concrete example. We were going to book the AB suite (that's what it was then--it was the 2 bedroom suite on the Jewel) for 4 of us, and then put 2 in an adjoining balcony. After reading all the controversy on here regarding the perks and the uncertainty as to whether or not my two children (these are college age) would then be welcome to join us at Cagney's and for priority disembarking etc. I made the decision to put everyone--all six of us--into the AB suite. This saved us approximately $1000. Since we were all in the suite I did not need to ask for any special consideration. I was therefore much more comfortable and I was assured that we could have the family vacation we envisioned. As everyone has noted here--and it is quite understandable--it is up to the staff of NCL to determine participation of any non-suite guests. I did not want to leave that up to chance. We were further assisted by a very low additional passenger rate.

Yes, it did seem odd to me that for spending less money we could receive more service etc. And for anyone wondring how the heck we all fit into the suite--I'll tell you it was a fantastic vacation, there is tons of storage, and we were well prepared. LOL :)

I was going to do the same thing, DH and I in a suite and two teenage daughters in a non-suite. But I didn't want any issues with the four of us being able to go to Cagney's. etc, so I booked an A3 for this June for all of us.

I was going to do the same thing, DH and I in a suite and two teenage daughters in a non-suite. But I didn't want any issues with the four of us being able to go to Cagney's. etc, so I booked an A3 for this June for all of us.

Do some ships have connecting suites with non-suites? Otherwise the other arrangement would not have worked anyway. To my knowledge anyone under the age of 21 (unless married) has to be in the same or connecting cabins as an adult over the age of 21.

Archived