Thanksgiving on the Liberty with Chef’s Table: Long, Detailed Review with Photos

pcrum

loving your review. Just as a funny aside when I got to the part of the dining room crew signing leaving on a jet plane and you said it was by John Denver I was thinking to myself no way. That was sung by Peter, Paul and Mary. I did not know that John Denver wrote it or that he performed it. So thanks for the music trivia.

loving your review. Just as a funny aside when I got to the part of the dining room crew signing leaving on a jet plane and you said it was by John Denver I was thinking to myself no way. That was sung by Peter, Paul and Mary. I did not know that John Denver wrote it or that he performed it. So thanks for the music trivia.

You're welcome! And I never knew that Peter, Paul and Mary sang it, so we both learned something!!!:)

Thanks for reading the review and posting!

11/27/10, Debarkation Day

Correction: My previous day’s post was labeled 11/25/10; it actually was 11/26/10. Unfortunately I caught the error too late to use the “edit” option to correct it.

The final day had come. We woke up early and were already docked in Miami. The MDR was open for breakfast until 8:30 am so we made our way there at 8:00 am for our last breakfast. Even on the last day, we were able to get a table for just two. We enjoyed a breakfast of eggs benedict and an omelet and then made our way to the 5th floor promenade area to wait for our number to be called to disembark the ship. We were called around 10 am and made our way off the ship. The Port of Miami places the luggage on carousels, much like at the airport, so we found the carousel for our debarkation number and quickly located our luggage. It was then just a quick walk across the street to the parking area and we loaded up the car for the trip home. It had been a wonderful week!

Final Thoughts

I have never been a great fan of the style of the Conquest class ships. After the Miracle, I felt that the Conquest class ships were lacking in decor and overall appeal. However, I must say that my opinion changed entirely with the Liberty. Without a doubt, the Liberty is just beautiful! I loved the chandelier in the lobby that changed colors. The light fixtures which changed colors were also on Deck 5 in the Promenade area and were just beautiful. I also loved all the iron work throughout the ship. This is just one example:

HPIM5988.JPG

For the most part, the staff were outstanding. Elvis, the dining room maitre’d and Tommy, the martini bar tender were always gracious and friendly. I gave our server, “Flo” a hard time in the review due to her lack of professionalism and her attitude which seemed to indicate, she just didn’t care. This is certainly not the norm for dining room staff in the MDR and I have confidence that either she will be trained to the high standards of the MDR staff or find that she is happier somewhere else (maybe Denny’s is hiring!).

The entertainment was also very good. Punchliner Comedy Club is a great addition to the Carnival fleet. The ability to see four top rated comics during a 7 day cruise is a wonderful option. We also love the rock bands that are on most ships. This is something we really missed on our latest spring break cruise on the Glory and I hope it is not indicative of things to come. Blood Power had some very talented musicians and we really enjoyed their sets. Carnival, if you are reading this, please put a classic rock band on each and every ship. We were certainly not the only ones enjoying their music. Regarding the piano players, I’ve said it several times and I hope Carnival listens. The quality of the piano bar players has steadily decreased over the years. We do not need comedians in the piano bar; there is already a comedy club for those who want a comedy show. In the piano bar, we want someone who can play classic piano ballads and encourage guests to sign along. Ditties about bears and cats and lions and tigers don’t qualify. We also don’t need cheesy gimmicks, such as wearing a bathrobe and making rude comments to passengers entering the lounge!! Just give us some good music and a personable entertainer!!

I am very glad we tried the Chef’s Table once, but it is not an experience I’d rush to book again. While the food and service were outstanding, the menu was not something that would appeal to us on every cruise. This is in sharp contrast to the steakhouse, which we do book every cruise. The menu of the steakhouse is just more to our taste and the service has never been anything short of excellent.

I cannot stress enough how much we loved our port hole cabin. The ability to have natural light in the room at the price of an inside cabin is a wonderful option. And, being one floor up from the debarkation areas on port days is also a plus.

Regarding the ports, I wouldn’t want to give the impression that due to our bad experience at the Bamboo Beach Club that I am knocking Ochos Rios. On a previous cruise on the Glory in the summer of 2009 to Ochos Rios, we greatly enjoyed Mystic Mountain and the bobsled excursion. We found the staff there to be both gracious and friendly. Unfortunately that was not the case at the Bamboo Beach Club. I would just encourage anyone booking a shore excursion to read the reviews on tripadvisor.com. If there are a lot of negative reviews, that might mean something. I learned this the hard way!! I should have paid closer attention to the reviews.

Cozumel is one of our favorite ports and Nachi Cocum is a true paradise. Perhaps the management of Bamboo Beach Club should take a trip there to see the proper way to manage an all inclusive beach club. If you are looking for a relaxing beach day, I cannot recommend Nachi Cocum enough.

Grand Cayman is also a beautiful island and, as we learned, very easy to get around by public transport. I would definitely use their bus system again. The drivers were friendly and helpful and the buses were very clean.

We really like the Carnival product and find it a great fit for our family. That being said, we are not adverse to trying other lines if the price is right. I am currently researching MSC as they have a promotion where children 17 and under sail free. It seems a shame to pass that up!!

I had originally intended to also write up our Inspiration girls only cruise from Aug., 2010. However with the cruise having taken place almost a year ago, I don’t know if the interest is still there. If I do write it up, it will be in a couple of weeks, as after writing up two 7 day cruises, I need a break from cruise reviews for a bit!!

As always, thanks so much for reading and I hope some information in this review is helpful to other. I’d be happy to answer any questions! Happy cruising!!

Thanks for your review. We are going on the Thanksgiving cruise this year and your review has definitely given us some good tips. Thank goodness we won't be stopping in Jamaica since Carnival has restructured the Western itinerary. :)

Thanksgiving cruise on Carnival Freedom 2007! Here is my family minus my dad who stayed on the ship in St. Marteen. We are all going again this year!!

I'm not sure but I thought the Freedom and Liberty were similar ships. Either way - your review was inspiring!

111.jpg.965520e2871f13b4ce307b0021789fe2.jpg

I read the review you posted about your Spring Break trip on the Glory, and loved the completeness of it, and the great pictures! So I was so happy to see you had done another one, complete with pictures. Thank you for taking the time to write such thorough reviews. If you do one on your girl's trip, I for one, would definitly read it. You may have inspired me to try a Thanksgiving cruise!

Thanks for your review. We are going on the Thanksgiving cruise this year and your review has definitely given us some good tips. Thank goodness we won't be stopping in Jamaica since Carnival has restructured the Western itinerary. :)

I hope you have a wonderful cruise. Thanksgiving is a great week to cruise, in my opinion!!

I really did not intend to bash Jamaica in the review. We did not enjoy the Bamboo Beach Club and I would not recommend it as a shore excursion, however we were in Ochos Rios in 2009 on the Glory and did enjoy the Mystic Mountain Bobsled excursion. This was a Carnival excursion and you took a sky ride up to the top of a mountain and then took a bobsled ride. There was also a restaurant and infinity pool at the top of the mountain. After your time there, you took the chair lift back down. On this trip, we found the staff at Mystic Mountain to be very gracious and hospitable. The only thing I did not enjoy was the skyride, as at the time I did not know it had been built by Carnival and I was so afraid every time we went over a hump that we'd die in a 3rd world country on shabby equipment!! But the people and service were great! Some photos:

My mom and kids on the chair lift:

HPIM5054.JPG

Mystic Mountain:

HPIM5083.JPG

view from top of mountain:

HPIM5071.JPG

DD and I on bobsled. It did not go any faster than the Big Thunder Mt. Railroad at Disney:

HPIM5065.JPG

DS on bobsled (you could either go separate or attached to one other boblsed):

HPIM5067.JPG

Thanksgiving cruise on Carnival Freedom 2007! Here is my family minus my dad who stayed on the ship in St. Marteen. We are all going again this year!!

I'm not sure but I thought the Freedom and Liberty were similar ships. Either way - your review was inspiring!

Great photo of the family and I can totally relate with the one family member who wants to stay onboard! Given the choice, DH would never leave the ship!!

Yes, both the Freedom and Liberty are Conquest class ships so their layout is identical. I just found the Liberty to be so much prettier than any other Carnival ship (except for the Miracle, my all time favorite). It is just a matter of personal preference, but to me all of the iron work, the changing color light fixtures and the overall decor were just so much more appealing than the other Conquest class ships I had sailed on.

Thanks so much for reading the review and for the kind words!

I read the review you posted about your Spring Break trip on the Glory, and loved the completeness of it, and the great pictures! So I was so happy to see you had done another one, complete with pictures. Thank you for taking the time to write such thorough reviews. If you do one on your girl's trip, I for one, would definitly read it. You may have inspired me to try a Thanksgiving cruise!

Thanks so much for the kind words. I really do think Thanksgiving week is an ideal time to travel. The islands are not so hot then and prices are generally pretty good that week if you book early enough.

I will probably write up the girls' only trip. It was such a fabulous trip and writing the trip reports is such a nice way to document the trips. It will be a couple of weeks before it is up though, due to end of year school demands!

I must say I have read all 4 of your reviews over the last several days - I really enjoyed them. You seem to have a flair for words and I really liked your point of view on everything. Thanks again.:)

Wow, thanks for the nice complement. I have fun writing the reviews and documenting them for ourselves but it's doubly nice to hear that others are enjoying them as well. I hope to have the girls' only trip report up in 2-3 weeks.

Thanks again for the kind words!!

we too will be on the thanksgiving cruise cant wait :)

I hope you have a wonderful time. We love the week of Thanksgiving to travel. The weather is cooler and we have not noticed a lot of crowds! Nachi Cocum was more than half empty! Enjoy your cruise!

I thouroughly enjoyed your review I can't wait til October when we sail on the Liberty for a 7 day cruise to the Eastern Carribean. Thanks again for the reveiw and photos

Thanks so much for reading the review! I hope you have a wonderful cruise in October!! The Liberty is a gorgeous ship!!!

• 9 months later...

I just found your review. We're considering another Christmas cruise out of Galveston for Dec. 2012. Last year the RCI Mariner went to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize City and Roatan leaving on Dec. 19th (8 days.) We loved Nachi Cocom, Roatan and Costa Maya. Christmas 2012 the Mariner is going to Ocho Rios, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Our grandchildren are 7 & 8. Thanks very much for your comments about Jamaica. I've also searched tripadvisor and do not see one single solitary all-inclusive that we'd consider going to with 2 young children. So, the Crown Princess it is! Princess is going to the same ports as we enjoyed in 2011 - Cozumel, Costa Maya (our favorite), Belize City (a day on the ship) and Roatan (gorgeous beaches!) RCI knows that the Mariner will have 1000+ kids onboard for Chrismtas. Why they selected Ocho Rios as one of the ports is beyond me. Anyway, thanks in helping us make our decision! Great review ...

• 2 months later...
I just found your review. We're considering another Christmas cruise out of Galveston for Dec. 2012. Last year the RCI Mariner went to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize City and Roatan leaving on Dec. 19th (8 days.) We loved Nachi Cocom, Roatan and Costa Maya. Christmas 2012 the Mariner is going to Ocho Rios, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Our grandchildren are 7 & 8. Thanks very much for your comments about Jamaica. I've also searched tripadvisor and do not see one single solitary all-inclusive that we'd consider going to with 2 young children. So, the Crown Princess it is! Princess is going to the same ports as we enjoyed in 2011 - Cozumel, Costa Maya (our favorite), Belize City (a day on the ship) and Roatan (gorgeous beaches!) RCI knows that the Mariner will have 1000+ kids onboard for Chrismtas. Why they selected Ocho Rios as one of the ports is beyond me. Anyway, thanks in helping us make our decision! Great review ...

Sorry to take so long to reply, but I think you made the right choice. Although we loved our time at Mystic Mountain in Ochos Rios, I'd take a beach day over it any day and it sounds like you have lots of options for those in your itinerary.

We ended up in Montego Bay on our last cruise (on HAL Ryndam) when the ship could not dock at Falmouth. I was less than impressed with Montego Bay. I was anxious to see the new cruise port built at Falmouth, but due to high winds we were not able to dock there. I do think Jamaica needs some more options for shore excursions. After doing the falls and Mystic Mt., there are not a lot of choices and Montego Bay is a long drive to Ochos Rios!!

We thought your review with photos was very good...we especially liked all the food photos, the Martini Tasting, and the information on the Chef's Table food. :)

Thanks so much for reading and for the kind comments. I am so glad we did the Chef's Table when we did. I have read reviews of the new menu and I do not think we would like it nearly as much. I guess it is just one more example of the Carnival cutbacks, sadly.

The martini tastings were fun and I am glad they are continuing them in the along with the new 2.0 upgrades. I loved the Liberty and would love to sail her again with the upgrades!!

• 3 months later...
I read this review and your glory one ( I'm actually going on the glory this december) and I love your style of writing. Makes me feel like im on the cruise with you haha Thanks for all the information :)

Thanks so much. The reviews are fun to write. We are doing the Liberty with the 2.0 upgrades during Thanksgiving week this year, so I will come back with a review.

Enjoy the Glory in Dec. She is a fine ship.

• 1 month later...

Now that we have experienced our first Carnival cruise -on the Pride - and liked it, I am reading about the other Carnival ships that leave from nearby ports. Your review is a gold mine of information. Reviews with pictures and stories are the ones I like to read the most.

Archived