Chair hogs--Proactive

Darthdaddy

I'm not sure you follow the definition of chair hog unless you are placing items on your chairs and not occupying them.

If you are in your chair, enjoy it. No need to move.

People here are upset, and rightly so, at other cruisers who are nothing but selfish. There is nothing ridiculous about discussing ways to educate and/or enforce the situation so people will learn they aren't the only ones on vacation.

I wasn't addressing those of you who are reasonable, and are discussing those that get up early and place their "stuff" on a chair really early to save a spot arounf the pool. doitallWMB and Goose30 are the ones I was referring to in their posts. Both specifically said, even if you're in your chair all day you're still a chari hog. I should have quoted in my response, my bad.

This is a legitimate issue on cruise ships and many hotels and resorts, and comments like those muddy the issue. Everyone has differences of opinion on how long a person should leave chair(s) unattended, which is fine, but I was responding to the few who go overboard with their definitions.

Many people who respond to the "Chair Hog" threads experince the frustration of not being able to find a spot in some of the prime locations; around the pool and in the shaded areas, because they're saved and unoccupied. For these chair hogs I think you all are too nice, my solution would far more extreme.

Looking back less than 1 month (4/8/11) there have been 4 major threads specifically concerning the issue of chair hogs. To date, those 4 threads have generated more than 18,000 "views." This speaks loudly to the intensity and persistence of both the problem and interest therein.

Many people have stepped forward to express opinions. More important, many suggestions to improve the situation have been put forward. One point rises above all others. Cruise lines need to enforce their own rules concerning the use (more accurately, non-use) of deck chairs.

Enforcement of a 30-min (or somewhat longer, I don't much care) rule would greatly reduce the problem. When coupled with the elimination of pre-dawn "saving" of enough chairs for a platoon, the problem would be virtually eradicated.

Resistence from offenders can be anticipated at the beginning of each cruise, but the behavior will change as the hogs see that it is not tolerated. Other passengers will soon recognize that the hogs need no longer be allowed to run wild. Over time, the onboard culture will change...deck chairs will actually be used...more people will get to enjoy their cruise...ship assets/amenities will be more efficiently utilized.

In an ideal world we would all speak civilly and care for our fellow passengers. In the real world the need for enforcement of basic courtesy exists. Such enforcement should not be at the hands of a de facto passenger militia (although I have no problem with the self-help remedies suggested). It must come from the cruise lines.

Rather than fighting among ourselves, passengers should direct their thoughts to cruise line management. Improvement of the cruise experience will provide a competitive advantage to any cruise line that addresses the situation. When passenger dissatisfaction with the status quo threatens the bottom line, good management will take action. My hope is that NCL proves to be the one to seize this opportunity.

Looking back less than 1 month (4/8/11) there have been 4 major threads specifically concerning the issue of chair hogs. To date, those 4 threads have generated more than 18,000 "views." This speaks loudly to the intensity and persistence of both the problem and interest therein.

Many people have stepped forward to express opinions. More important, many suggestions to improve the situation have been put forward. One point rises above all others. Cruise lines need to enforce their own rules concerning the use (more accurately, non-use) of deck chairs.

Enforcement of a 30-min (or somewhat longer, I don't much care) rule would greatly reduce the problem. When coupled with the elimination of pre-dawn "saving" of enough chairs for a platoon, the problem would be virtually eradicated.

Resistence from offenders can be anticipated at the beginning of each cruise, but the behavior will change as the hogs see that it is not tolerated. Other passengers will soon recognize that the hogs need no longer be allowed to run wild. Over time, the onboard culture will change...deck chairs will actually be used...more people will get to enjoy their cruise...ship assets/amenities will be more efficiently utilized.

In an ideal world we would all speak civilly and care for our fellow passengers. In the real world the need for enforcement of basic courtesy exists. Such enforcement should not be at the hands of a de facto passenger militia (although I have no problem with the self-help remedies suggested). It must come from the cruise lines.

Rather than fighting among ourselves, passengers should direct their thoughts to cruise line management. Improvement of the cruise experience will provide a competitive advantage to any cruise line that addresses the situation. When passenger dissatisfaction with the status quo threatens the bottom line, good management will take action. My hope is that NCL proves to be the one to seize this opportunity.

I agree with your comments.

DarthDaddy-

Agree with your posting of today.

It is a shame that some rules are not enforced at all and other rules are not consistently enforced. Somehow businesses seem to cater to those who break the rules, in fear of losing their business... but don't consider the business that lose by those frustrated by lack of enforcement.

But... as far as chair hogs... it seems they are on every cruise line. So those who follow the rules don't really have an alternative.

I hope it changes, but I don't see it happening.

Sorry but if my butt is in the chair and I am using it how is that being a chair hog. I chose not to do anything during the day but sun and swim. Do I get up set if I dont find a chair no I manage to find a spot someplace to park it and get my sun. Lets talk about those who sit at the same table all day and us it for playing cards, relaxing, going in the pool and out all day long and keep it safe so just in case someone might need some shade for those who are sunning in there party. Are these called table hogs, rude and inconsiderate people too?????????? As said before I get up and go sit out on deck all day it is what I have paid my way to do. I am not rude just been cruising far to many years to know that if you tend to sleep in you will NOT get a chair.

Does anyone have an idea about getting the messages to NCL? I emailed the person I knoew at NCL and she told me that she would forward it to the appropriate department and they would get back with me...no such luck. I even sent the link to this thread! It's not the poolside chairs that infuriate us most, it's the hogs that occupy even the second deck chairs with a book, shoe or towel.

Does anyone have an idea about getting the messages to NCL? I emailed the person I knoew at NCL and she told me that she would forward it to the appropriate department and they would get back with me...no such luck. I even sent the link to this thread! It's not the poolside chairs that infuriate us most, it's the hogs that occupy even the second deck chairs with a book, shoe or towel.

You need not concern yourself with getting the message about chair hogging to NCL as they are most definitely aware of this thorny issue. If you do a little research, even just on the internet, you will soon see that chair hogging in the bane of the cruise industry as a whole, not just NCL. It seems that all cruise lines have a time limit policy on 'holding' a chair, however, none appear to have the will to 'manage' that policy.

My own sense of the situation is that it is going to take a horrific encounter involving some sort of nasty assault between two disgruntled cruise passengers before the cruise lines will act. I continue to believe that this is a ticking time bomb type of social issue that will come to a head when the wrong mix of personalities, frustrations, anger and alcohol come together. Unfortunately, what will follow in the way of 'managing' existing policy will be 'reactive' and not nearly as positive as 'proactive' steps could be.

It does not take a genius to figure out why the cruise lines are not currently 'managing' their existing chair holding policies. The bottom line is critical at any time, but in today's economy, cruise lines are very aware of their vulnerability. People just don't have as much disposable income these days, so management needs to consider if it is the right time to act on this matter. They know that if they challenge chair hogs, who are already demonstrating a selfish, ill-mannered sense of entitlement, some negative things are definitely going to happen:

1) Chair hogs are going to scream loud, long and hard and they are going to threaten to, and probably follow through on, taking their business elsewhere.

2) Cruise ship staff are going to have to deal with the disgruntled chair hogs for the duration of the cruise, and staff will definitely suffer abuse from those chair hogs, so there is also a risk of losing some valuable staff members (together with any investment in their training/transportation/etc.).

Although these are serious issues, it appears that none of the cruise lines have yet come to realize that when it becomes known that a cruise line is actually 'managing' their chair holding policy, any chair hog passengers they lost will quickly be replaced by passengers from other lines who appreciate what they are doing in this regard.

I do believe, however, that for the first cruise line to proactively begin to 'manage' their chair holding policy, it is definitely a financial and public relations risk. When I try to see it through management's eyes, the matter isn't nearly as cut and dried as it is when I think about it from a passenger's perspective. Yet, if I was management, I would definitely recognize how volatile the issue is becoming and would not want to wait until I have to 'mop up' after a serious assault between passengers on this issue became a public relations nightmare.

So NCL and other cruise lines have to decide who is going to act first on this and when. In the meantime, I will continue to carefully remove belongings to access a chair that has been abandoned for in excess of 30 minutes.

You need not concern yourself with getting the message about chair hogging to NCL as they are most definitely aware of this thorny issue. If you do a little research, even just on the internet, you will soon see that chair hogging in the bane of the cruise industry as a whole, not just NCL. It seems that all cruise lines have a time limit policy on 'holding' a chair, however, none appear to have the will to 'manage' that policy.

My own sense of the situation is that it is going to take a horrific encounter involving some sort of nasty assault between two disgruntled cruise passengers before the cruise lines will act. I continue to believe that this is a ticking time bomb type of social issue that will come to a head when the wrong mix of personalities, frustrations, anger and alcohol come together. Unfortunately, what will follow in the way of 'managing' existing policy will be 'reactive' and not nearly as positive as 'proactive' steps could be.

It does not take a genius to figure out why the cruise lines are not currently 'managing' their existing chair holding policies. The bottom line is critical at any time, but in today's economy, cruise lines are very aware of their vulnerability. People just don't have as much disposable income these days, so management needs to consider if it is the right time to act on this matter. They know that if they challenge chair hogs, who are already demonstrating a selfish, ill-mannered sense of entitlement, some negative things are definitely going to happen:

1) Chair hogs are going to scream loud, long and hard and they are going to threaten to, and probably follow through on, taking their business elsewhere.

2) Cruise ship staff are going to have to deal with the disgruntled chair hogs for the duration of the cruise, and staff will definitely suffer abuse from those chair hogs, so there is also a risk of losing some valuable staff members (together with any investment in their training/transportation/etc.).

Although these are serious issues, it appears that none of the cruise lines have yet come to realize that when it becomes known that a cruise line is actually 'managing' their chair holding policy, any chair hog passengers they lost will quickly be replaced by passengers from other lines who appreciate what they are doing in this regard.

I do believe, however, that for the first cruise line to proactively begin to 'manage' their chair holding policy, it is definitely a financial and public relations risk. When I try to see it through management's eyes, the matter isn't nearly as cut and dried as it is when I think about it from a passenger's perspective. Yet, if I was management, I would definitely recognize how volatile the issue is becoming and would not want to wait until I have to 'mop up' after a serious assault between passengers on this issue became a public relations nightmare.

So NCL and other cruise lines have to decide who is going to act first on this and when. In the meantime, I will continue to carefully remove belongings to access a chair that has been abandoned for in excess of 30 minutes.

Bravo!!! NCL Pay attention. You always get out front on things. DO IT NOW!!!

3. Fees could be charged for premium locations.

One reason people buy spa passes (and POSH passes on EPIC) is to reduce the effect of the chair hogs. It is a small step to create additional restricted areas that would be subject to a surcharge. These areas might be around the pools or elsewhere. Chairs could be color coded, e.g., red chairs require a fee, blue chairs do not. I hate the notion of suggesting extra fees, but it would likely weed out many of the worst offenders. At a minimum, it would encourage such folks to actually use the chair for which they were paying.

Apologies if this has already been addressed, I did not read the entire 5 pages of postings. To a degree, as pointed out by the OP, this is already done. On NCL, they offer suite/courtyard accommodations--the whole ship inside a ship idea, where presumably, among other benefits, you have a private area with fewer people fighting for pool side chairs. While I know the chairs there are not reserved, it is likely easer to get a chair as there are just fewer people competing for them. Also, on Princess, they offer space by the day (or for the entire cruise) in their "Sanctuary" where I believe you actually get a reserved chair in a more private area. I don't know the price, but I do know there is a charge to use this space.

I think the idea of letting people pick and choose what they want to pay for is great. If you want to pay extra for a chair, wonderful. If you want to have a more exclusive (or better) dining experience, let people pay a premium for that service. I think the entire world is going this way---most airlines now price a la carte---pay for the airfare, then pay extra for food on the plane, then pay extra for baggage. I think what is good about it, is that you can customize your travel to get the experience you want. If you want a low frills, low cost cruise experience--you can get it just by paying for an inside cabin and no extras. If you want a deluxe, private, high-end experience, you can go on the same ship, pay more money and get exactly what you want. The really good thing about it is that the one's who use the high end services, are the ones who pay for them.

I know that as a cruising "virgin" (first cruise coming up in September), I don't have much to contribute to this thread. But I will say that after reading all of the comments posted, my dreams of sunning and relaxing on the pool deck are fading fast. I hope that one day soon NCL will decide that they should actually enforce their policy on the chairs, and may it be prior to us setting sail in September! If not, then DH and I will deal with whatever the situation is at the time. We're not big on laying out all day by the pool - a few hours would be plenty. I agree with some of the posters comments about ALL of the pax are on vacation just like you, and everyone deserves to enjoy themselves. Let's face it, for most people nowadays a vacation is few and far between, thanks to the economy and gas prices going higher and higher by the minute. We all deserve a break and to enjoy our cruise/vacation! Thanks for reading, and hopefully I didn't step on anyone's toes by commenting when I haven't set foot on a cruise ship...YET ;)

I know that as a cruising "virgin" (first cruise coming up in September), I don't have much to contribute to this thread. But I will say that after reading all of the comments posted, my dreams of sunning and relaxing on the pool deck are fading fast. I hope that one day soon NCL will decide that they should actually enforce their policy on the chairs, and may it be prior to us setting sail in September! If not, then DH and I will deal with whatever the situation is at the time. We're not big on laying out all day by the pool - a few hours would be plenty. I agree with some of the posters comments about ALL of the pax are on vacation just like you, and everyone deserves to enjoy themselves. Let's face it, for most people nowadays a vacation is few and far between, thanks to the economy and gas prices going higher and higher by the minute. We all deserve a break and to enjoy our cruise/vacation! Thanks for reading, and hopefully I didn't step on anyone's toes by commenting when I haven't set foot on a cruise ship...YET ;)

Not at all.

I hope you enjoy cruising!

I actually went back and read a lot of the previous postings on this--I think the simplest and really only practical way to resolve this issue is to have people pay for chairs. You pay for a chair and it is yours--either by the hour, day, or cruise. No enforcement really needed except to have security remove any "squatters" from your chair should someone be in it. For those that do not wish to reserve a chair, set aside an area where people can sit for free, but once you leave, the space is open for someone else. No enforcement needed--so simple for the cruise line, and everyone knows the rules--get up, and you could lose your space.

I actually went back and read a lot of the previous postings on this--I think the simplest and really only practical way to resolve this issue is to have people pay for chairs. You pay for a chair and it is yours--either by the hour, day, or cruise. No enforcement really needed except to have security remove any "squatters" from your chair should someone be in it. For those that do not wish to reserve a chair, set aside an area where people can sit for free, but once you leave, the space is open for someone else. No enforcement needed--so simple for the cruise line, and everyone knows the rules--get up, and you could lose your space.

I see a couple of issues with this solution.

#1 I don't believe that NCL has enough loungers or space for every passenger on the ship. So if you get someone like me who only utilizes a chair for about 2 hrs in the morning when others aren't really interested in it, that would hold up a lounger for the whole day for others who may come out later.

#2 Who decides where who's chair is located, first come first serve? book before sailing? That would tick a lot of people off since; some don't know when they can get holidays and some can choose anytime to travel so they would book first, or some don't know the ship to know where they might like. Waiting until aboard, you would require an awful lot of staff to reserve loungers for 2500 passengers as they come on board, as 2500 passengers run around trying to decide which would be a good spot. And someone like me might like to lounge in a chair by the pool in the morning when it's not busy, but might like to lounge up on deck 13 away from the crowds during peak hours.

#3 Again that would leave the ones with lots of vacation dough to be able to lounge in the spot of their choice, because some can just afford to cruise and not afford to spend lots of other money.

#4 NCL is already accused of nickel and diming because they have so much "a la carte" options now.

I see a couple of issues with this solution.

#1 I don't believe that NCL has enough loungers or space for every passenger on the ship. So if you get someone like me who only utilizes a chair for about 2 hrs in the morning when others aren't really interested in it, that would hold up a lounger for the whole day for others who may come out later.

#2 Who decides where who's chair is located, first come first serve? book before sailing? That would tick a lot of people off since; some don't know when they can get holidays and some can choose anytime to travel so they would book first, or some don't know the ship to know where they might like. Waiting until aboard, you would require an awful lot of staff to reserve loungers for 2500 passengers as they come on board, as 2500 passengers run around trying to decide which would be a good spot. And someone like me might like to lounge in a chair by the pool in the morning when it's not busy, but might like to lounge up on deck 13 away from the crowds during peak hours.

#3 Again that would leave the ones with lots of vacation dough to be able to lounge in the spot of their choice, because some can just afford to cruise and not afford to spend lots of other money.

#4 NCL is already accused of nickel and diming because they have so much "a la carte" options now.

Some good points above. A couple of my thoughts:

Regarding (1), not every chair has to be for rent---make 30% of them; the rest its first come first serve. Just becasue you want to rent a chair, doesn;t necessarily mean one would be available.

Regarding (2) you are right, it would be hard to manage. Maybe the chairs for rent could be in a particular roped off area---you show your "rental slip" to get into the area, and you have to pick form what is available in that area. That might make it easier to manage,

Regarding (3), you are again correct--those with money would get better treatment/ammentiies, but (a) that is true for most any service--and how it is now; people with $$$ get to eat in specialty restaurants, don;t have to wait in line for shows or tenders b/c they are in suites, etc., and (b) now the people who get the chairs are the ones who pay with their time (e.g. get up early and snag a chair)--I am just suggesting rationing with money instead.

Regarding (4)--I am ok with the nickle and diming---so long as I know in advance that I am buying a "no-frills" cruise, and I have to pay extra for each ammenity. But from a marketing perspective, you may be right--that may not attract people to NCL.

Maybe the best thing to do is to play bingo instead of looking for pool time!! LOL

Some good points above. A couple of my thoughts:

Regarding (1), not every chair has to be for rent---make 30% of them; the rest its first come first serve. Just becasue you want to rent a chair, doesn;t necessarily mean one would be available.

Regarding (2) you are right, it would be hard to manage. Maybe the chairs for rent could be in a particular roped off area---you show your "rental slip" to get into the area, and you have to pick form what is available in that area. That might make it easier to manage,

Regarding (3), you are again correct--those with money would get better treatment/ammentiies, but (a) that is true for most any service--and how it is now; people with $$$ get to eat in specialty restaurants, don;t have to wait in line for shows or tenders b/c they are in suites, etc., and (b) now the people who get the chairs are the ones who pay with their time (e.g. get up early and snag a chair)--I am just suggesting rationing with money instead.

Regarding (4)--I am ok with the nickle and diming---so long as I know in advance that I am buying a "no-frills" cruise, and I have to pay extra for each ammenity. But from a marketing perspective, you may be right--that may not attract people to NCL.

Maybe the best thing to do is to play bingo instead of looking for pool time!! LOL

Well I still don't agree with charging for chairs, but you do make some valid points as well. So I'll just stay on topic and say if NCL ever does look at this, we hope they will do more than they are doing now to alleviate this issue. Chair hogging is not an issue for me but if it is as wide spread an issue as a lot of poster claim, I hope they take it seriously enough to put some thought and creativity into it.

I'll pass on the bingo option thanks :D

I just got back from a trip to Laughlin, NV, and what immediately caught my eye (after following this thread before I left) is that each lounge chair has this message taped to the top: "A chair unoccupied for 30 minutes is considered available." I know this doesn't solve the problem, but it does warn the hogs.

I just got back from a trip to Laughlin, NV, and what immediately caught my eye (after following this thread before I left) is that each lounge chair has this message taped to the top: "A chair unoccupied for 30 minutes is considered available." I know this doesn't solve the problem, but it does warn the hogs.

No it doesn't completely solve the issue but I do like the idea a lot. Some people that save the chairs claim that they do not know NCL's apparent rule. I've stated many times on CC that although I never save a chair or use it for very long, I have NOT seen this rule posted in the dailies or on signs in the pool area anywhere, although people swear it's there. At least those that would use this as an excuse, could no longer use it.

And for those that will say that doesn't matter they would have another excuse, I will agree that some would do it anyway. Get rid of enough of their excuses, get rid of the problem.

OK NCL pay close attention to this one. Low overhead cost, no passenger cost. Excellent thought.

The chair charge is a non-starter. Yes, it would keep some chairs open, but it would exacerbate the issue in the other chairs and cause a virtual mutiny on this board. We already have people complaining that they're nickel and dimed because they pay for bowling, pay a DSC, buy a drink, etc. Rent a chair? Crazy talk.

Simple:

Post signs

Install shoe/towel cubbies for pool "visitors"

Enforce the chair occupancy rules

The chair charge is a non-starter. Yes, it would keep some chairs open, but it would exacerbate the issue in the other chairs and cause a virtual mutiny on this board. We already have people complaining that they're nickel and dimed because they pay for bowling, pay a DSC, buy a drink, etc. Rent a chair? Crazy talk.

Simple:

Post signs

Okay, what about this? Each pax gets to reserve a chair for a certain amount of time? Make every pax the same. Six hours? Have a reservation system that opens in the embarkation area. Some people might like 2 hours at a time, others one day with six hours.If someone wants to come spontaneously they can see what's unreserved.

I don't think every cruiser wants to sun all day right at the pool's edge. I know I prefer something in walking distance, but quieter.

I think NCL could once again prove to be the innovator. If they got the reputation out there for being the first mass-market cruise line to eliminate "chair hogs" once and for all, just imagine how the word would spread.

Why create complexity when none is needed? It would cost a significant amount of money to create and enforce a chair reservation system. Would you number the chairs and secure them to the deck to keep track of them? Would everybody get some kind of beeper they would have to display, green when they're allowed to be in a chair, and red when their reservation is up? Would beeper police run around and enforce the rentals? All these costs would be passed on to cruisers in the form of higher fares.

I truly think something much more simple would fix the problem. We don't have to eliminate all the chair hogs (like booze smuggling, some will find a way around any rule or process), just make a dent in it.

Have staff monitor the pool deck in the morning and either stop people from reserving chairs, or put their stuff in a bin. Put up signs that state the rules and where hogs can find their stuff. I like the cubby idea too, because if I'm just using the slides (like on epic) I need a towel but not necessarily a chair.

Again, just my two cents

Simple:

Post signs

Princess basically rents chairs in theie "Sanctuary"---when you buy a pass to the Sanctuary you are getting access to a lounge of sorts (never been in it myself), and for the time you have paid for you get a reserved chair. If you read the Princess Boards, I think a lot of people secure time in the Sanctuary specifically so they don't have to fight for chairs---gives some peace of mind. I would disagree with your characterization of "Crazy Talk", but I do like your reference to a "virtual mutiny"!

Princess basically rents chairs in theie "Sanctuary"---when you buy a pass to the Sanctuary you are getting access to a lounge of sorts (never been in it myself), and for the time you have paid for you get a reserved chair. If you read the Princess Boards, I think a lot of people secure time in the Sanctuary specifically so they don't have to fight for chairs---gives some peace of mind. I would disagree with your characterization of "Crazy Talk", but I do like your reference to a "virtual mutiny"!

Is there a pool in the "sanctuary" because my understanding the EPIC also does that sort of thing with posh. And it still doesn't solve the lounges in the pool area. Which I think this post was trying to address.

Is there a pool in the "sanctuary" because my understanding the EPIC also does that sort of thing with posh. And it still doesn't solve the lounges in the pool area. Which I think this post was trying to address.

No--no pool---so you are correct in that regard. I think, but may be mistaken, that a pool is readily accessible though via a short walk. Maybe someone who has been on Princess and used the Sanctuary can comment.

Why create complexity when none is needed? It would cost a significant amount of money to create and enforce a chair reservation system. Would you number the chairs and secure them to the deck to keep track of them? Would everybody get some kind of beeper they would have to display, green when they're allowed to be in a chair, and red when their reservation is up? Would beeper police run around and enforce the rentals? All these costs would be passed on to cruisers in the form of higher fares.

I truly think something much more simple would fix the problem. We don't have to eliminate all the chair hogs (like booze smuggling, some will find a way around any rule or process), just make a dent in it.

Have staff monitor the pool deck in the morning and either stop people from reserving chairs, or put their stuff in a bin. Put up signs that state the rules and where hogs can find their stuff. I like the cubby idea too, because if I'm just using the slides (like on epic) I need a towel but not necessarily a chair.

Again, just my two cents

I love the idea of NCL acually enforcing current rules! Large print on the first page of the Freestyle Daily "Items left to reserve sun loungers on deck for more than 30 minutes will be removed by ships personel and placed in lost and found. " SIMPLE. Enforce it and hogging will slow down, consistently enforce it and it will all but disappear. Very little extra costs.

Archived