Dive location advice needed!

SweetCaroline74

My husband needs diving location advice for our upcoming cruise. Any diving excursion suggestions for Bora Bora, Rangiroa and Fakarava? The PG descriptions are not very… well… descriptive! :rolleyes:

For Rangi and Fakarava, I read in travel books that the passes (Tiputa and Garuae, respectively) cannot be missed. But they are both drift dives so is it redundant to do both or is the experience different?

For Bora Bora, there are mainly 2 options offered by PG: Tapu and Toopua (night and day dives). Any suggestions?

I have done the dive at Raitea, both morning dives at Bora Bora and Moorea. The dives from the PG relatively shallow but were great for me. The best thing about the dived from the PG is that you leave from the Marina straight to the dive site and then back. No wasted time riding the tender to the dock, van to the dive shop, and the return.

I have not done the night dive and haven't done the dives at the Tuamotus so maybe someone else will weigh in. Everywhere we dove there was lots to see.

The shark dive even had some big lemon sharks to see. Well they looked big to me.

Out 11 night cruise including the Cook Island visited some different islands from yours. I did the 2 day dives in Bora Bora and one dive in Moorea. The first dive in Bora Bora was great, it was near the PG motu but I do not know the name. The second was a shallow dive that was geared towards those doing the resort course. I knew this in advance but I wanted more underwater time. The dive was good but not spectacular.

The dive in Moorea they called Shark Alley, not sure if this is a real name or one to hype the dive. In any event it was great with some reef sharks and turtles along the way.

Shark Alley was the dive when I saw the lemon sharks, both trips. When I was on the PG they would have two dives at each location, one for the beginners and one for certified divers. Perhaps this has changed since I last cruised the PG in 2008. The dive for the certified divers was in the same location but a little less structured.

Dominique also did a CD with photos of everyone on the dives available at the party at the end of the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Would not miss a single dive offered but if looking to only catch a few recommend Tapu in Bora Bora (outer reef - plenty of reef sharks and large lemons, turtles, resident giant napolean wrasse), ledges in Moorea (though the crown of thorns have severely impacted, plate coral and lots of reef sharks) neither of these are drift dives.

In Rangi - the pass was flowing in the wrong direction both days for us so we did the outer reef drift dive. Fantastic dive, gigantic schools of pike and other creatures coming up out of the blue to check us out. One of our top dives, ever.

Lots of sharks in FP diving, temp is 80+ at depth and vis up to 150 feet. Small groups, Dom and his crew on the ship are top notch and the outside operators (especially in Raiatea) are fine.

Night dives are not a favorite but have a beautiful memory of the one offered in Bora Bora (Tabletop, inside the lagoon, outside operator)... looking up at depth to see the stars through the water.

Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone done a night dive off the PG? Would you recommend it? And which is preferable?

Friends are looking at treating hubby for his birthday surprise (so I can't ask him).;)

Also how long is the dive and what time of the evening ?

Archived