security

munchkin322

This is my first cruise (Sovereign of the Seas on 5/10) so I don't know exactly how to secure my luggage.I'm kind of scared about non-cruiseline people handling my luggage. Is it okay if put locks on my luggage? My personal things got stolen 2 months ago from my car so every since then, I'm very cautious about my personal items!!

The main problem will be if you fly. You can now purchase special locks that are approved by the Transportation Safety Authority. I know that Magellan sells them. If you are not flying, you can use any kind of lock, I believe.

Statendam-Alaska '97, Veendam-NE/Canada '98, RCCL-Bermuda, '99, Am. Queen, 2000, NCL Sky-Caribbean '03, NCL Dawn - Bahamas '03

NCL Sun Panama Canal
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;4;16;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400[/img]

Locks or no locks, if it is valuable don't put it in your checked luggage.

Bill D

RCCL Song of Norway 7/79?
CCL ? 12/84
RCCL Viking Serenade 7/01
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 12/01
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 5/02
RCCL Monarch of the Seas 7/02
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 12/02
Princess Grand Princess 6/03
RCCL Voyager of the Seas 12/03
RCCL Vision of the Seas 3/04

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400[/img] Rhapsody of the Seas 5/30/2004

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;12;20;20;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]  Empress of the Seas 12/20/2004

To expand on the above two posts:
[B]Hope you are still able to read this prior[/B]

If you are NOT flying, yes, lock your luggage OR use tiestraps and carry something you can cut them off with that is not a knife, as that will not be allowed onboard when they X-ray your carry-on luggage.

-DO NOT pack cameras, video games, jewelry, etc -type items in any bag that is out of your DIRECT CONTROL for the entire travel period, including loading it onto the ship; you can carry on any bag that fits into the X-ray machine (ie, max of about 11"tall x 16"wide x any length).

If you are really uncomfortable AND can carry/roll all your luggage with you on boarding you are free to do that if they fit through the X-ray.

If you ARE flying it can get tricky- there are limits as to what you can carry-on these days, basically one bag not more than 10" x 14" x 22" for most airlines and one 'personal' item per passenger (like a purse, laptop bag, etc- jackets are not counted).
Yes, they (TSA) RECOMMEND not locking your luggage, and they can and do cut off locks (sometimes damaging your luggage in the process)- however, you are within your rights to put locks or tiestraps on, even if you have ask them to place the locks BACK on after they check the bags in front of you (only possible at SOME airports and can be hard to insist on some places).

The best advise, other than buying the exorbitantly priced TSA-approved locks and risking them cutting them off anyways!, is to put on tiestraps on all your checked bags, and carry extras (enough for the return trip plus one extra set).
These really slow down a thief, hopefully they will be replaced by TSA-tiestraps if they check your luggage, and they are cheap to replace.

Beyond that, never pack film, food like chocolate or fruitcake (dense and/or contains certain chemical properties), most electronics, valuables like cameras, jewelry, medicines, etc, into ANY checked bag.
Even shoes can set them on a search if they are too dense on the scanner [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Hope this helps,
S

Archived