observatory in Victoria

englander

We are sailing the Oosterdam May 21-28,2005. We stop in Victoria the Friday evening 8pm -midnight.

Has anyone done the Dominion Observatory? I understand it had a huge telescope and planetarium and offers star-gazing.

Susan

Susan,

We will be in Victoria in June on the Diamond and are doing an excursion to the observatory/science center through Princess. According to the Centre of the Universe web site, http://www.hia-iha.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/cu/main_e.html, closing time Fridays through end of May is 4:30 p.m. Of course, the cruise line may make arrangements for excursions after regular hours.

Jim

We're in Victoria, so thought I'd check into this for you. Last year, the observatory offered Stargazing on Sunday nights (7pm - 11pm) in July and August.

The images from the large Plaskett telescope are directed to a large wall screen for everyone to see - it's quite spectacular!

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a schedule out for this year yet. If I come across any updates, will be sure to post.

Starbuck

HAL has this excursion for 8pm on the Friday night (May 27th). Says it's 3 hrs total time from the ship. I'm not very knowledgeable about astronomy but I do find it interesting. This sound like fun for a final evening of the cruise.

Susan

Archived