guarentee

dancingfish

I have enjoyed reading all the helpful advice on this board. You guys really have all the answers for us newbies!! But I keep hearing about a guarentee and I have not a clue!! On the booking websites I am not finding this?? Can someone explain why I want this or don't want this? Does this cost more??

vicki

You can either book a particular room or a guarantee. If you book a room, that is your room, you know which one it is, you can print out the deck layout, hang it on the refrigerator and highlight your room. Not much chance of it being upgraded.

With a guarantee you pay for a particular cateogory. You are guaranteed of that cateogory, or better. So why would one not book a guarantee. Just because you may be upgraded it doesn't mean that it will be a better room. If you tend to get seasick you would probably prefer to get a room near mid-ship, rather than take a chance of being in the front of the ship. You may wind up near an elevator or stairs.

The bottom line is that if you're not picky it's a good way to possibly get a better room than you pay for. But if you'd rather select your room, then a guarantee is not the way to go.

If you go for a guarantee make it at the lowest category that you will be happy with. Then perform a sacrifice to the upgrade Gods.

1/1990 - RCCL Song of America

4/13/2003 - Carnival Inspiration

10/30/2004 - Maasdam

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0924ff&cdt=2004;10;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Till sailing on the Maasdam

[This message was edited by Orcrone on 05-06-04 at 09:23 AM.]

Hi Vicki,

Orcrone gave you a very nice explanation how it works. I will just add a little more to it. The 'guarantee' is just a 'tool' that gives the cruise lines more flexability in their bookings and sometimes it is just a little cheaper. Most of the time it will work for you to give you something better but not always....it is a small form of gambling. The actual 'room number' gets assigned to you at the time when they will 'print' your 'documents' but that is not always 'true'.....I have seen people boarding with 'guarantee' and their actual room assignment takes place during that time.

Wes

We booked a guarantee last yr and would have been content with the outside verandah we paid for. Instead we were upgraded to a better location for free and then offered an upgrade to an SS for a small fee. Took it and had a blast.

• 4 weeks later...

my first cruise i was pretty clueless of what went on also. i had not discovered this site yet. i booked with the carnival spirit a 1a guarentee. that meant i booked the lowest level cabin on the ship ( inside on the riviera deck ). i did not know untill i got to the peir that i had been ungraded to the main deck in a 4a cabin. a 4a inside is the same as a 1a inside cabin except it is on a higher deck of the ship. since i happened to get seasick which i thought i would never do i was so glad i was on a lower level and in the back of the ship. i did not feel the motion in the cabin and i got over the seasickness sooner. i know now that a gurentee is not for me since i dont want to chance being in the front of the ship. this works for many passengers and you do save money. it just depends of whether you dont care where your cabin is on the ship. i hope this helps also.

DUSTY

Carnival Spirit, 9/10/03 Alaska glacier bay

Carvival Spirit, 5/11/05

Alaska glacier bay again

I agree with most everything here. I believe someone said that you have a better chance of getting an upgrade. Not always true, I always like to know what room I am going to be in I like certain parts of a ship; so I never go guarantee. But I have gotten many upgrades over hte years. Just let them know when you book that what a specific room and if you have a great TA they will get you an upgrade, my TA always calls prior to our final payment to see what they are offering. For example we are cruising on July 24th and booked a BB category (regular outside with balcony) and received an upgrade to a suite.....

So you never know. I am sure you'll be happy cruising no matter which way you go icon_smile.gif

A little more information - most lines won't let you book a guarantee if you have third and fourth passengers because those cabins are fewer in number and may not be available if the ship books full.

No one really knows how upgrades are given so don't even factor that into your decision. I personally don't think guarantees have any better chances of a "type" upgrade (inside to outside, outside to balcony, etc.) than those assigned to a specific cabin - but then again, like I said, nobody knows for sure.

Peter

Archived