Update regarding height restriction for cavetubing

#1TravelMom

I received this email in response to my question regarding the 48" height restriction mentioned in another post. It stated that this would be effective June 2011.

The response I received basically states that a governing authority would like to impose the 48" restriction, but has not yet done so. Also, the independent companies plan to meet with the authority and agree to all safety guidelines, but will vigorously argue that the 48" restriction would be extremely detrimental to their businesses. If you have concerns about this new policy, please read the following.

Good Evening from Belize and from Major Tom,

A number of things have to be covered here in order to ensure I pass on the right information to you.

1. First off, I am President of an large cruise organization called FECTAB, the Federation of Cruise Tourism Associations of Belize, whose members cover the entire strata of activities enjoyed by cruise guests, from hairbraiders to guides to independent tour operators.

2. When tragedy struck inside the caves during a cave tubing cruise day some years ago, the National Institute of Culture and History, called NICH, (Institute of Archaeology) in Belize, instantly, in cooperation with other government departments, and the private tourism sector, put together a new set of rules to be implemented at the cave park, OVER A PERIOD OF TIME, to allow the private sector to catch up, due to cost factors.

3. Instantly, lifevests and the eight guests to one guide ratio became mandatory and have remained in place, closely supervised by tourism authorities.

4. Next to be implemented will be the helmet and footwear rules (water shoes of some sort that will protect feet), and height restrictions.

5. The authorities are looking at November 2011 as the starting date of implementation of all the regulations agreed upon by all entities involved.

I must add here that the recommendations of FECTAB, some of whose members have been cave tubing since 1992, are held in high esteem by the authortities in Belize.

All this is in order to conform with internationally established standards for risk and high risk tourism activities.

In speaking with a senior representative of NICH on the phone just a moment ago (8.30 pm Central Time, today 27 April 2011), he clearly stated that there is to be further consultation with relevant governmental entities, and of course, the private sector, so that all concerned are satisfied that all avenues have been explored, and all are in agreement, before finally instituting all the rules and regulations put together some time ago.

The private sector, with a large representation from FECTAB, will be putting forward its recommendations at the consultation meetings, especially with regards to the height requirement of 48 inches, which our organization will object to, as it will drastically cut down the numbers of guests at the site, who consider it a highly requested family activity, and will NOT book this tour if they cannot involved their children of all ages.

The guides who carry this tour bear heavy responsibility for the safety of their guests, and NICH has on a regular basis, noted non-adherance to the lifevest rules by some guides, causing serious concern among the authorities.

It must be noted that ALL tour operators and guides who are members of FECTAB have meticulously adhered to ALL the rules required so far, with some even using helmets at this time. Soon, all FECTAB members will be carrying the FECTAB recommendation on their websites, so guests can be comfortable and safe booking tours with them.

We would be happy to see the above on Cruise Critic and Tripadvisor as it will help to inform all those planning on taking the immensely popular cave tubing tour in Belize.

Regards,

Major Tom

President

FECTAB

I received this email in response to my question regarding the 48" height restriction mentioned in another post. It stated that this would be effective June 2011.

The response I received basically states that a governing authority would like to impose the 48" restriction, but has not yet done so. Also, the independent companies plan to meet with the authority and agree to all safety guidelines, but will vigorously argue that the 48" restriction would be extremely detrimental to their businesses. If you have concerns about this new policy, please read the following.

5. The authorities are looking at November 2011 as the starting date of implementation of all the regulations agreed upon by all entities involved.

The private sector, with a large representation from FECTAB, will be putting forward its recommendations at the consultation meetings, especially with regards to the height requirement of 48 inches, which our organization will object to, as it will drastically cut down the numbers of guests at the site, who consider it a highly requested family activity, and will NOT book this tour if they cannot involved their children of all ages.

So my tour company told me that they were implementing this height restriction as of June this year. Now Major Tom is saying that it is going into effect in November this year, but they are going to fight it.

Should I email my tour company back to inform them of this? We were wanting to take our daughter with us on this trip and have now considered not going.

Archived