How long does muster drill take?

Yes, they sound the alarms!!! There will be information in your cabin about where to go - I believe on the back of your door it gives directions to your station. Also, your station will be stencilled on your life jacket. The crew will direct you if you don't know where to go.

It doesn't last too long - maybe 15 or 20 minutes at the most.

Just got off the Navigator yesterday. The muster drill is very easy. Maybe altogether it was a half an hour. Your station is printed on the back of your door with instructions on how to get there. Your stateroom attendant will have your life jackets laid out and ready for you when you get to your room. When you check in on the ship they will give you a pamphlet about "things to know" right off that has a map of the ship and an explanation about the muster drill. There will be several announcements. Everything on the ship closes down during muster drill and every crewmember you meet in the hall will tell you to report for muster drill when it is close to the time. Our ship got out late last week due to immigration dealings so I don't remember exact times for our drill. (I know I was annoyed because we reported immediately, put on our life jackets which are kind of uncomfortable and then waited while folks leisurely sauntered around to the station about 15 minutes late). They will keep track of you (your stateroom # is printed on the lifejacket). They will let you know what the alarm sounds like then they will let you get back to your vacation. Have a great time, you will love this ship!

Do they actually sound alarms? How do you know where to go?

They last 10 minutes of instruction and 45 minutes waiting for brain dead pax that don't show up because they feel they don't really need to be there.

They last 10 minutes of instruction and 45 minutes waiting for brain dead pax that don't show up because they feel they don't really need to be there.

I actually read a guy's cruise tips on another forum and he said that you should always just sit in your room and finish your beer for the drill. Then, you show up last and you're not standing around waiting. I was so sure he would get flamed and he didn't!

I will be there on time, I promise, even though I don't look great in that shade of red...

For our 17:00 PM sailing, the muster call was 16:30. The Compass recommended getting down there at 16:15. We go there right at 16:30 and only about 50% of the people were there. At 16:30, the crew started going cabin to cabin (and they have master keys to all the cabins, you can't hide out) and telling people to show up. Around 16:50, all pax finally showed up. And don't be the last one at your muster station. The last ones got dirty looks from the others who had to wait for them and since all pax in your corridor are at the same muster station, they'll remember you. The last one is not popular with the other pax.

I've been on 2 cruises, Carnival and Rhapsody, I was stuck in the muster drill during sail away. Is it because ppl were showing up late, or bc we're really not supposed to see the sailaway? Not that i'll have ppl to wave goodbye too, but it'll be Mama's first cruise and i want her to see that.

I know this sounds lame but I don't think very many people listen or pay attention at the drill and everyone should. No one goes on a cruise or any vacation expecting something terrible to happen, but I certainly want to know what to do in an emergency in the middle of the ocean. Remember the recent Semester at Sea incident? Also I totally agree about showing up on time. If everyone is prompt, its over in no time. Its the stragglers that show up late laughing and wanting the attention because they think they are too cool for this.

• 3 months later...

I was on Mariner 5/29/05. Due to "security" issues, we were getting on the ship when the drill was supposed to take place. We had 5 minutes in our cabin then headed down. After travelling all day, and the long line up to get on the ship, the muster drill was an aggrevation to say the least. Standing in the corner, in a crowd for a half hour with the life jacket on made me want to go overboard! :eek: LOL There was even a woman in her wedding dress with her lifejacket on for the Muster drill. Poor thing! But Im not sure why you would plan your ceremony so close to setting sail on day one.

On Voyager in Mar., 30 minutes, from cabin- back to cabin. It was painless. They were taking cabin numbers and those that did not show up were going to recieve a "special" muster drill the following day. Not sure what "special" means.:D

On our January 2005 AOS sailing, they could not do the drill before sailing. They didin't sail until 2 AM because of terrible North East weather. The drill was held next morning. When we stopped at Aruba, the remainder of the 300 people who couldn't board in San Juan came onboard and had their drill then.

One really nice thing about our muster. I get a little claustrophobic when I am behind a group of people (like being in the back of an elevator) Anyway, it was apparent that we weren't going to be in the front of the group. I asked the crew person if it would be okay if I stood towards the front and they told me okay. That was really nice of them. There were also people who were given chairs to sit on because standing so long is impossible. I'm sure other lines are as accomodating, but I never asked before. We used to try to be the last ones out for the drill, but that doesn't work anymore. I think we used to gather in a lounge or some place close to the lifeboat station and then file out.

-- Judy

Our last muster was in the bar, Not kidding. We were praying for another drill. Majesty in the 4000‘s, nice and cool we all got to sit down and relax. We as a group, we joking that there must not be enough boats so they put the “loser” in the bar so we would be comfortable while the ship went down. Fun time’s.

Majesty, we lined up as we got there, and I stood next to my parents and DH. Anyone who talked more than a WHISPER got scolded by the staff - NO KIDDING! I now know what my students feel like during a fire drill when I yell at them for talking. I wish the staff were that strict about jeans in the dining room, chair hogs, etc... ;)

On the Enchantment last year, when we got there, they put all the women and children up front. DH had to stand in the back while I was in the front. I thought, "if the ship is going down, I'm not leaving without him." I picture myself in a beautiful red evening gown jumping from the life boat screaming "JACK! JACK!" and him screaming out "ROSE!"... ah well...

I've never had a muster last more than about 30 minutes.

Archived