Adriatic 6th may split

Hi we looking forward to next week to our 2nd attempt at cruising. I have re-read the 2 excellent reviews I printed off from last year by kruseeka and nuthouse, these will be a great help to us in deciding what we do. I dont see any mention of using launches to get to the dock, which would horrify my other half, but does anyone know anything about Split which is new and I think replaced korcula. does the ship berth at the dock, and how easy is it to get into town on your own. thank you

Hi we looking forward to next week to our 2nd attempt at cruising. I have re-read the 2 excellent reviews I printed off from last year by kruseeka and nuthouse, these will be a great help to us in deciding what we do. I dont see any mention of using launches to get to the dock, which would horrify my other half, but does anyone know anything about Split which is new and I think replaced korcula. does the ship berth at the dock, and how easy is it to get into town on your own. thank you

It is tender port,we were there 2 years ago,and will be there again in a couple of weeks,the entrance to the walled town is only a couple of minutes from the quayside,go through the arch to enter,inside there are souveneir stalls,and the very steep steps up into the town,they are about 12 inches high,very awkward if you have mobility probs,I dont know if there is an easier way in,but its worth the effort as its a fascinating town.

We used kunas to buy a drink on the promenade in Split- we just bought a few kuna from Reception before we got off the ship.

I'm sure your other half will be OK using the tender- there are lots of strong men to hold your hands every step of the way till you find a seat.I worried about it once but I don't now.

If you walk to the right when you get ashore there is a fascinating market- the display of fresh veg and flowers was awesome.Flowers like I have never seen in my life before.Lots of clothing stalls too- my other half got talked into buying a sunhat.

Flopsy

If you go on to the "ports of call" message boards you will find lots of info. On the Dubrovnik one there is a very helpful lady, she says that for taxis and walking the walls, you can pay in Euros, but cafes and shops only usually accept Kuna, which you can obtain from the ATM,s in the town. :)

Yes Split is a tender port (as others have said they help you and it's quite exciting!) but the tender berth is right in the centre of the town. The main attraction there is Diocletian's Palace which is a bit misleading in it's name - it is a palace but also more of a walled 'inner town' with other buildings inside it too - some built into the walls. It's right on the waterfront and it's a good town to explore. These will give you an idea.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=diocletian%27s+palace&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=IyW&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=uvnATfeONMer8APRx6W_BQ&ved=0CD0QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=587

Page 3, fourth along shows the tender position and you can also see some shots of the palm-fringed waterfront where there are lots of waterfront cafes. A very nice destination and no need to go on an excursion.

We had some Kuna for walking the walls in Dubrovnik (they only took local currency for that - I think it may have changed now - but not certain) and used some for a cafe in Split but Euros are widely accepted in shops and cafes although there may be a bit of a mark-up for the exchange rate. It's debatable whether that will cost you more than changing the money in the first place then perhaps having to sell it back if you have any left over. Unlike Euros you can't use them in other countries.

Have a great time - it's a wonderful itinerary. :)

Thank you for that link Kruseeker, I still have your excellent review from last year tucked away in my travel folder. Just as a matter of interest how big are these tenders. It must take a while to get everyone to the dock, is there a massive queue, do they give preference to the passengers going on organised trips etc, or is it first come first served, and what sort of timetable for coming back. Thank you

Thank you for that link Kruseeker, I still have your excellent review from last year tucked away in my travel folder. Just as a matter of interest how big are these tenders. It must take a while to get everyone to the dock, is there a massive queue, do they give preference to the passengers going on organised trips etc, or is it first come first served, and what sort of timetable for coming back. Thank you

They are the lifeboats and accommodate about 100 pax - although that is a bit squashed! :eek: Yes, you are right they will get the tour passengers off first as the coaches will be waiting dockside - apart from that they tend to be first come first served although different ships do have slightly differing approaches.

Sometimes you have to go to get a tender ticket at Reception (or somewhere close by - you will be told in the Cruise News the night before they are available - usually that is the day before you tender). Advice here, if you want to be off early be prepared to go and queue about 15 minutes earlier than the time stated.

Other times it's just a matter of waiting to be called and passengers invited to go to the tender (tours first then independents - they can ask for your tour ticket to make sure you're bona fide tour passengers) but sometimes if the tour times are say, 9.00 and they are ready to satrt tendering by 8.15 you can get off before the tours. Also if the tender isn't full of tour passengers they will fill up with independents - so you can see that it's not always easy to predict how soon you will be able to get off.

They usually use three tenders which run a shuttle service - as soon as one pulls away from the ship the next one comes along side and similarly at the other end - just turn up when you're ready to go back (time of last one is announced in the Cruise News) and they will fill the tenders up - or sometimes there may only be a few people on board but they have to keep the rotation going so you don't usually have to wait long.

It's all quite efficient - if you're moving up to a 100 people every ten minutes or quarter hour or so and they start at 8/9 o'clock it doesn't take too long to get everyone ashore - and of course at a more leisurely DiY port, many people will perhaps not make a move to go until a bit later in the morning or even after lunch and provided no tours are leaving then you'll probably be able to walk straight onto the tender. Sounds a bit complicated - but it will all slot into place when you get there.

Not long now - pleased you found the previous info helpful - have a great time!!! :) (It's one of my all time favourite itineraries! I look forward to hearing your impressions when you get back. :))

Yes Split is a tender port (as others have said they help you and it's quite exciting!) but the tender berth is right in the centre of the town. The main attraction there is Diocletian's Palace which is a bit misleading in it's name - it is a palace but also more of a walled 'inner town' with other buildings inside it too - some built into the walls. It's right on the waterfront and it's a good town to explore. These will give you an idea.

Page 3, fourth along shows the tender position and you can also see some shots of the palm-fringed waterfront where there are lots of waterfront cafes. A very nice destination and no need to go on an excursion.

We had some Kuna for walking the walls in Dubrovnik (they only took local currency for that - I think it may have changed now - but not certain) and used some for a cafe in Split but Euros are widely accepted in shops and cafes although there may be a bit of a mark-up for the exchange rate. It's debatable whether that will cost you more than changing the money in the first place then perhaps having to sell it back if you have any left over. Unlike Euros you can't use them in other countries.

Have a great time - it's a wonderful itinerary. :)

consused, this looks like a view of a internal courtyard, obviously my pages are different than yours. is it the photo next to the map? with the boat and black tyres on it? is the tender point directly adjacent to the palace?

consused, this looks like a view of a internal courtyard, obviously my pages are different than yours. is it the photo next to the map? with the boat and black tyres on it? is the tender point directly adjacent to the palace?

Yes that's the one - it's the 7th row down fourth along. It shows the 'southern facade' of Diocletian's palace - more or less directly in front of it is the harbour (small only for small craft) where you can see the boat with the tyre buffers. When we went the tender pulled in at right angles to the to the waterfront - more or less where this boat is so you just walk round the perimeter of the harbour (two sides - very short distance) onto the promenade area and across the road is the palace. That's the building you are looking at in the picture - doesn't look like the palace from this aspect.

Thank you Kruseeker. that is great. I can make some decisions. I am due for a new knee on return from holiday, and we are both in our seventies, so I was hoping we could do our own thing at our own pace, which looks a fair possibility. we may even give Venice a miss as we have been twice before, so we can take a restful day on the ship. I will let you know how we got on on return. we had a filipino crew on the red sea and they were great. I think this one has to be greek as we are starting in Corfu, it will be interesting to compare, and of course we are doing the first trip out. Thank you again

Archived