compare dolphin swims

westcoastfun

Was wanted to know if anyone has done dolphin swims at different parks? Which is the best? Cruising on Carnival Magic next April hitting cozmel, grand cayman, and jaimaica. My understanding there is dolphin swims at all those places. So am wondering is one better then the other???

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi there. I'm not sure if children/teens are involved so this may or may not be the information you are looking for. We are a young-at-heart somewhat adventurous middle-aged couple, no children, and these are our experiences in the countries/cities you've mentioned.

I did the Royal Dolphin Swim in Cozumel at Chankanaab Park about 2 years ago. I can't compare it to the other locations you mentioned, but it appears that the same company runs these tours in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Dolphin Discovery. Not sure about Jamaica.

I must admit that I had a fabulous time in Cozumel!! The highlight of my excursion was the dolphin foot push - two dolphins literally lifted me out of the water with their noses! I felt like I was flying!! The entire excursion was fabulous!

Chankanaab Park itself was very nice, enjoyable for a beach day even if you don't do the dolphin thing. They have a beach area and the food was pretty good. We booked online, took a cab to the park... cheaper than the cruiseline excursion. My husband didn't do the Swim, but came along for the ride. It was a good day :). (FYI, if you are only there as an observer, you can't get close enough to take good photos or videos of the participants. They will, of course, sell you photo's, DVD's at the end of the excursion :rolleyes:) Tip: Have the participants take a waterproof camera so they can take close ups of each other.

On another trip to Cozumel, we did the "Fast and Fury" boat tour. This was another fun day. The boat trip is a hoot and takes you to the island where they film the Corona commercials - but they don't serve Corona there :confused:

In Grand Cayman, we did the Sea Trek Helmut Dive as a cruise excursion. A little pricey for a short excursion, but we had a blast! Couldn't wipe the smile off my face all day. Great for adults and young teens. Also, the Snuba there (which we have done in Barbados) seemed to be extremely well-organized.

In Jamaica, we docked in Ocho Rios and did the White River rafting tour ship excursion. (I wasn't comfortable with a private excursions here). This was also a lot of fun! Tip: If you wear glasses, make sure you have those secure headbands and a waterproof camera before you head out for the tour.

Hope this info is helpful. If you are interested in more details, please email me at cruiser1961@hotmail.com.

Cheers,

Lita

• 4 weeks later...
Can I ask? Where did you go to book the dolphin swim on line? Right from the park itself or thu a tour company like shoretours.com????

I booked directly through Dolphin Discovery dot com -- I paid around $130 for the Royal Dolphin Swim online. Hubby, who chose not to participate in the Swim, paid the companion rate of ~ $20 when we arrived at the park. We took a taxi from the dock to the park. It's not really too far and, while I can't remember the price, I do recall that it seemed quite reasonable.

They have a really great facility at Chankanaab with lockers, showers, restaurant (good food!), beach area, etc. We thought it was a great place to spend the day whether you participated in the Dolphin thing or not. Taking a taxi back to the dock on time wasn't a concern.

I would highly recommend this! Hubby and I both had a great time :D

Lita

I'm gonna keep track of this thread. I'm interested in doing this on our Disney Fantasy cruise next year. We'll be in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Costa Maya. I'm trying to decide if I want to go with the Dolphin Swim & Ride including lunch OR the Dolphin Push, Pull & Swim. Just not sure if I want to do the "push" part. I mean you're on a boogie board, so how far out of the water do you actually come out? I'm sure my boys would love it but I'm still debating. LOL

Was wanted to know if anyone has done dolphin swims at different parks? Which is the best? Cruising on Carnival Magic next April hitting cozmel, grand cayman, and jaimaica. My understanding there is dolphin swims at all those places. So am wondering is one better then the other???

We are going to the same 3 places next week and I booked Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel. There is also a Dolphin Discovery in Grand Caymen, but it was more expensive in G.C.- same company.

We booked the Royal Swim because a friend of mine tried it and said it was the best. She said if you did any of the lesser ones you might be disappointed that you didn't do the Royal swim.

I looked them up on-line and booked thru their toll free number and there is a discount if you book ahead - we paid $116 for booking 1 week early. If you book 2 weeks early you get more of a discount. I also heard that at certain times of the year they have a 2 for 1 price during low season or booking the 3:30 time slot.

One more thing - I heard that if you book on line you have to answer a question of where you are coming from, and when you say Carnival they will not let you stay. You can say that you are staying at a hotel or condo and then its no problem. When I booked over the phone they did not ask where we were coming from.

Long answer, I did a lot of research, hope it helps!!!

Just not sure if I want to do the "push" part. I mean you're on a boogie board, so how far out of the water do you actually come out? I'm sure my boys would love it but I'm still debating. LOL

I don't know how old your boys are, but I guarantee they will love this! You will, too!! Two dolphins, side by side, approach you while you're floating in the water. They lift you out of the water with their noses pressed against the arches of your feet. I was lifted out of the water up to my knees! I felt like I was flying... for several seconds... then I kind of did a belly flop :rolleyes: Hubby mentioned that I got lifted higher out of the water than anyone else in the group. (Apparently, I have great balance.) I was a bit apprehensive whle waiting for the dolphins... in the end, though, it was totally exhilarating!! :D I really do hope that you will give this a try.

FWIW, I bought the picture of me being lifted out of the water while I was "pushed". Four years later, seeing the absolute delight that picture captured on my face still brings back those fabulous feelings!

I booked online directly with Dolphin Discovery in 2007. After reviewing my e-mails, I stand corrected in that I paid $139. At the time I noted that I was with NCL and we had no problem staying for the day. (Hubby paid the "companion fee" at the gate.) However, Dolphin Discovery's policies may have changed in recent years.

As an aside, when you're in Grand Cayman, we would highly recommend the Sea Trek Helmut Dive. Yes, it is expensive, but it is a truly enjoyable introduction to the undersea world. The instructors/guides there are absolutely fabulous.

Lita

Archived