Advise needed re HAL oxygen providers

lazey1

DH requires an oxygen concentrator that provides a constant flow for his CPAP in addition to his portable for air travel. His constant flow concentrator is to big and heavy to travel with, not even sure the airlines would allow it.His oxygen provider does not or will not recommend or pay for rentals.

Has anyone used either or both of HAL's recommended providers, Care Vacations and Specials Needs at Seas? Did they deliver direct to and pick up from the hotel or ship as promised, were you given adequate use instructions, are the rental rates similar for both companies?

Any advise or recommendations will be appreciated.

Jane

Used them both. I had them deliver to the room only (I'm nocturnal only and cleared for 1-2 nights without). Rates were similar, service similar, no complaints with either company ... My "worst" experience was when one of the providers (I don't even remember which one) provided me with 2 concentrators in a VERY SMALL cabin, so the extra took up valuable floor space.

Be sure to be specific if you want a hydration unit. If I don't mention it specifically, they don't always set it up ... and there is one unit that I just CANNOT figure out. I think you can purchase distilled water from HAL or carry it on.

We are heading to Europe this summer for 5 days precruise, 10-day cruise on the Eurodam, then 1 day post-cruise. The oxygen quote for the 5-days hotel plus 10-day cruise is high, so we are looking into renting a POC locally that is capable of pulse and continuous flow. This option is about 1/2 the cost. What is your husband's flow rate? I think the CF POCs only run up to 3 LPM. I'm at 2, so the equipment will work for me.

I believe the continuous flow POCs are about 20 lb. Rather heavy, but better than the home units!!!!!

Thank you for the help, would never have thought to specify a hydration unit as we thought all units had hydration.

DH can go 2 or 3 nights with just the CPAP (no oxygen). His flow rate is either 2 or 2.5 so the rental equipment should work.

Do you recall what what the brand was of the unit you were unable to figure out? Is distilled water required? We have RO at home and were told by the oxygen provider that was fine for his equipment which is Respironics Constant Flow.

SeQual Eclipse and DeVilbiss IGO are the 2 that I remember. I don't have any experience with these portable units yet.

Have you been over to the Disabled Cruise Travel area? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190 There is a wealth of information over there.

As for distilled water, we usually fly in a day or two early, so we'll carry a gallon on. But I also think you can purchase it from HAL. Sometimes I just use bottled water for my concentrator, but my husband uses distilled water in his CPAP, too.

Archived