Celebrity Summit, April 16-23, 2011

dforeigner

We arrived to Puerto Rico a couple of days early. We consists of the wife, two little ones (both under the age of three) and myself. We made it to the Verdanza hotel and our room was not the best per say. The carpet was soaking wet and the smell from all the humidity was pretty bad. Before I could make a phone call, the bellman knocked on the door and apologized for the condition of the room. He already had a new set of keys and moved us to a different tower where the room was perfect.

The following day we had to do some last minute shopping and had the whole day to burn. We decided to rent a car. The hotel has a rental place at the premises. Note to self: Next time bring a copy of your auto insurance, the car rental will be about 75% cheaper. Once we took care of the paperwork, we installed the car seats and took off. We drove along the coast on HWY 187 until we made it to El Yunque rain forest. Yes, it rain on us, but being that it is a rain forest, we did not mind. We actually lucked out. While on foot, we did not experience a single drop of water. Once we got back on the car to drive up the mountain is when we experienced the rain. Regardless of the fact that we encountered some precipitation, the views are awesome and I strongly recommend visiting this place.

On our way back, we stopped at an outlet mall to purchase a few items. We then drove back on a toll road, HWY 66. The price of the car rental included an electronic toll pay chip like a Pike pass. So we did not have to stop or slow down to pay for the whole $1.50 toll rate. We stopped at the Metropol restaurant to eat some of the local cuisine. The food was not bad at all. After lunch, we fueled the car, stopped at a Walgreens and dropped the rental off at the hotel.

The next morning we ate breakfast, packed everything up and headed to the pier. We arrived around 11am. We stood in line for about 30 minutes before they began to check people in. While checking in, we were advised that they were having problems with their system and that once on board, we would need to stop by the front desk to get it straightened out. Adding that we would not be able to make any purchases until this was taken care of. Since the wife and I had the drink packages, this would not be a problem as all the shops on board the ship are closed while the ship is docked. Once the paperwork was taken care off, the boarding process was painless. It took about 10 minutes to board.

Once on board, the wife went in for a little walk while I stopped by the front desk. While boarding the ship, I received a phone call from my credit card verifying the legitimacy of the charges during the past two days. Once this was cleared, they removed the block on my card. Note to self: call the credit card company whenever traveling outside the continental US to let them know where you will be visiting. I normally do this, but simply forgot to take care of this before taking off on our vacation. Had this happened at a foreign country, I would have missed the phone call and would have to use a different credit card. The line at the front desk was short. So I took care of the issue and off we went to eat lunch.

We loved the lay out of the buffet. It is easier to navigate compared to the buffet on a different cruise line. After lunch, we went up to the pool area to meet with the rest of the gang from our CC group. Once the announcement was made, we went to our room and our luggage had already arrived. We had room 6030, with a sweet sixteen type balcony. We loved the enormous real estate offered on this particular balcony. Although they only had two regular chairs rather than the two chairs and two ¾ lounge chairs offered by the “other” cruise line.

The room was very spacious. The wife kept harping about the room not having a crib set up. We met with out cabin attendant, Neves from India; he asked how we would like to arrange the room. The bathroom was very roomy. We are used to mini suites on the “other” cruise line which include a bathtub. The bathroom on this room had a shower with a portable shower head. This made life much easier when it came to bathing the little one. Although not 100% sure, I believe the real estate of the shower is bigger than that on board the “other” cruise line. I cannot attest to this we always had a bathtub and I have only glanced at their showers.

We went out to explore the ship and met with our Floataway group once again. The Muster briefing was painless and went through very smooth. Being that we were traveling with two little ones, we were allowed to leave the Muster briefing early. We stayed for the English version but, in order to avoid the crowds, the staff allowed us to leave during the Spanish version.

We went up to our room and got ready for dinner. We chose flex dinning. We were issued table #062 at the Cosmopolitan Restaurant. We normally showed up for dinner between 6 and 645 pm and never had any issues. Our table was two tables away from the entrance. Therefore, any time one of the little ones would get bored, we would just pick them up and out we went for a little stroll. The wife was in charge of the little one, while I was in charge of the older one. I had written down the names of the staff that attended us during this sailing. Unfortunately, I lost the piece of paper where I wrote their names. The staff was very helpful. They knew all of our names and they kept making little animals for the little ones out of napkins every night. Our bar waiter would bring us a bottle of Peregrino every night. At the end of dinner, he would always stop by to see if we wanted an after dinner drink. Our sommelier, from Russia, was also very attentive. She would check to see what we were having for dinner and make a suggestion. She always kept our wine glasses filled. I do want to mention a small gripe here. They did not have all the wines listed by the glass and sometimes, the selection was limited.

The staff at the Cova café was great too. Every time I stopped by they would ask if we needed milk for the little ones. Everyday we would stop by after breakfast for some specialty coffee and drinks before dinner.

At the Waterfall café/grill, the staff was always attentive and we never had any problems getting beers or drinks at lunch time. Helvin from Honduras took good care of us at breakfast and lunch. The only disappointment I encountered here was with the Sushi. Although they were slicing the fish right in front of you, I was told that they were not allowed to serve Sashimi (previously read review mentioned otherwise). The individual preparing the Sushi told me that I could simply remove the rice and eat the fish by itself.

We also enjoyed having drinks at the Waterfall bar. We also had great service at the Martini Bar and at the Champagne Bar.

The Rendezvous lounge also provided us with great service. Our group stopped by one night to support our friend participating in Karaoke. This was more like your basic Karaoke and not a competition such as with the “other” cruise line.

We did make use of the fun factory. We would stop by every day and play with the little ones.

The CC get together was great. Initially I had read that this gathering was offered in the am hours on the second day of our cruise. For this particular sailing, it was offered at 5pm on either Tuesday or Wednesday. I don’t remember.

We also were invited to visit the bridge. We received an invitation requesting the names of those in our cabin who would be like to attend this event. A few days later, we received a letter indicating that they do not allow anyone under the age of 12 to visit the bridge. We made a reservation for in room baby sitting. We did not hear back on whether they would provide us with a babysitter. Fifteen minutes before the start of our scheduled tour of the bridge, we received a telephone call from the Fun Factory. We were told that they did not have anyone available to do in room sitting but would be able to baby sit for us at the Fun Factory. Off we go to the Fun Factory to drop the little ones and then back to meet the staff to take us up to the bridge. The babysitting program is $8.00 an hour for a minimum of three hours. They will baby sit up to two little ones. After the tour, the wife and I went to the Waterfall bar, had lunch and a couple of beers while enjoying the view of the ship’s wake. Then off we went to pick up the little ones. Elvira from Peru was great with our little ones.

We were so pleased with the service provided at the Fun Factory that we reserved another three hours in order for us to have dinner at the Normandie restaurant. Once again we were told that they did not have the staff available for in room sitting but could drop off the little ones at the Fun Factory. With baby sitting arranged, we made reservations for Normandie. A few hours later we received a phone call advising us that they were overbooked and would not be able to baby sit our little ones. We advised them that they had already confirmed our babysitting arrangements and already made reservations for dinner at Normandie. The manager from the Fun Factory told us that she would try to find someone and would call us back later. A few hours later she called to let us know that she was unable to find anyone to baby sit for us. This was a small disappointment, but do appreciate the fact that at least they called back.

We also made use of the on board laundry service twice. Neves brought up our laundry once it was ready on both occasions.

We did buy the CD package from the photography department. In case you plan on purchasing this package, please bare in mind that your CD will not be ready until after 11PM on the last night of your cruise.

We attended a few shows at the theater. Encore and the Piano man were fantastic. Our oldest one really enjoyed the shows while the youngest one slept through the show.

A side note about tipping: I know this is a sore subject for some, but feel the need to put in my two cents. Since we had flex-dinning, we had to pre-pay our tips. Yes our little ones did not eat as much as the grown ups. The youngest one mainly ate baby food which we brought on board. That being said, they staff was very attentive not only to us but the little ones. In addition, the youngest left a little mess at the dinning rooms and at the Cova Café. Whether it was Cheerios or cookie crumbs left on the floor, the staff always served us with a smile and loved having the little ones around.

As mentioned earlier, we had a drink (premium) drink package. Any time we wanted something, we did not encounter any issues.

We were very impressed, and please, with the service on board this particular cruise. We will not hesitate to sail with X in the future.

Again, I apologize for not having the names of all the individuals that made our cruise extra special. We did write down their names on the guest questioner and dropped it by at the front desk.

Hi, I was just wondering if there is a charge to eat at the Cova Cafe or Waterfall cafe. We have only been on 2 cruises, both Princess. Also, what kind of food do they serve at each cafe? Thanks for any info....

The original poster can correct me in the near future, but I am almost positive the (other cruise line) is Princess. I have been on Princess' board fairly often in the past and seen the OP's posts many times. He is very informative and knowledgeable. Please do not take any offense to me jumping in. I would have been very curious too.

Just as a side note, I read his review because of his Princess back round and was very curious of his take on the Summit. We have been on the Summit once and are going on her again down to Bermuda in June. We enjoyed the Summit and also were lucky enough to get a Sweet 16 cabin at a great price for the upcoming cruise. Enjoy your cruising everyone.

Only been on Princess, was wondering what a "sweet 16" cabin is.....

The original poster can correct me in the near future, but I am almost positive the (other cruise line) is Princess. I have been on Princess' board fairly often in the past and seen the OP's posts many times. He is very informative and knowledgeable. Please do not take any offense to me jumping in. I would have been very curious too.

Just as a side note, I read his review because of his Princess back round and was very curious of his take on the Summit. We have been on the Summit once and are going on her again down to Bermuda in June. We enjoyed the Summit and also were lucky enough to get a Sweet 16 cabin at a great price for the upcoming cruise. Enjoy your cruising everyone.

Hi, only been on Princess, and am wondering what a "sweet 16" cabin is? We are thinking about trying a different line, maybe Celebrity......

Thanks for your great review! We had 6030 last year when we were on the Summit and LOVED it! The balcony is just fantastic.

In your review you mentioned enjoying drinks on the Aft bar, did you all happen to see either of these waiters? We will be on the Summit in a few days and hope they will still be on board.

Sorry, I did not recognize those faces.

Is there a charge to eat at the Cova cafe or Waterfall Cafe? Just curious.....don't know much about Celebrity, have only been on 2 cruises....both Princess. Just wondering what all is included on Celebrity.....

No charge to eat. The Waterfall Cafe is the buffet. They do some some dishes to order but are free as well. Only charge is for drinks outside of water, lemonade, tea, milk, and coffee.

Hi, only been on Princess, and am wondering what a "sweet 16" cabin is? We are thinking about trying a different line, maybe Celebrity......

Sweet 16 means that on the M class ships, there are only sixteen cabins with a huge balcony. Half covered, half exposed. We previously had only sailed with Princess as well. Both lines have their plus and minuses. You will not be disappointed.

Sweet 16 means that on the M class ships, there are only sixteen cabins with a huge balcony. Half covered, half exposed. We previously had only sailed with Princess as well. Both lines have their plus and minuses. You will not be disappointed.

Sorry, was having trouble with my computer......don't know why there are repeated postings of my questions.....can't figure out how to delete them :(

It is not your computer. CC is having problems with their servers right now.

I can only answer for myself, as I was on the same cruise with DF also in a sweet 16. We were right above the theater. I took it figuring we'd NEVER be in the room so early as a show was still on. Well, I wasn't feeling so great one night, and we were back in the room by 10:15 or so. If I turned off the TV, didn't move a muscle, and barely breathed, I'd hear some music as if it was a mile away. In other words, almost impossible to hear. I fell asleep like a baby and heard nothing.

As for the loungers, I asked my steward and was told he couldn't do that. He said there were plenty of loungers up on deck. I wanted to tell him " I know, genius, so go get me a couple!". No big deal as we weren't on the balcony enough to warrant the loungers. I'd have pressed harder if it wasn't such a port intensive cruise.

This was one of my best cruises ever. Great ship, great service, the drink package, and best of all- the people we were with. Enjoy! I know you will!!

We did not ask for any loungers as none of the balcony rooms have any. No noise whatsoever from the theater below.
Thanks to you both! So excited to read such positive comments from members who I know enjoy the Princess experience that they loved the Summit.:)

Thanks to you both! So excited to read such positive comments from members who I know enjoy the Princess experience that they loved the Summit.:)
Platinum Princess, One Cruise each - RC & Celebrity.

The reason we booked this particular ship. Summit, was because of the ports, time, price and mostly - friends.

There is no better way to cruise than with friends.

What I can tell you is that on all three cruise lines, service was outstanding aboard the Celebrity.

Princess wins hands down in the Entertainment department.

Sad Celebrity doesn't offer dancing in their loungers.:(

Comparing Princess to Celebrity - Both lines have great dining.

Some people will pick a cruise for the ports, while others for the ship, and others for the overall experience. Some people have a wonderful time no matter what because they have a positive attitude and don't let the small things bother them, while others will have a lousy time no matter what.

Any day on a cruise is better than a day at work so we never complain. ;)

Platinum Princess' date=' One Cruise each - RC & Celebrity.

The reason we booked this particular ship. Summit, was because of the ports, time, price and mostly - friends.

What I can tell you is that on all three cruise lines, service was outstanding aboard the Celebrity.

Princess wins hands down in the Entertainment department.

Some people will pick a cruise for the ports, while others for the ship, and others for the overall experience. Some people have a wonderful time no matter what because they have a positive attitude and don't let the small things bother them, while others will have a lousy time no matter what.

Any day on a cruise is better than a day at work so we never complain. ;)[/quote']

like-button.png

Platinum Princess' date=' One Cruise each - RC & Celebrity.

[b']Princess wins hands down in the Entertainment department.[/b]

Any day on a cruise is better than a day at work so we never complain. ;)

Agreed about the entertainment. Princess wins here, although the pool band did play longer on Celebrity. We had to find something to do if we weren't hanging with the gang (which was the best entertainment). Princess had Fusion, Explorers, Wheelhouse and then after all of that, Skywalkers. But again, we had a blast and created our own fun. It will be VERY hard to go back to a line without the drink package. We did the math and we absolutely shattered the price, and not only alcohol. Water, soda, virgin drinks etc... were on our tab as well.

Archived