l Phone

chirpy007

Im sure l read a while ago l could use my own phone on board and not inncur any extra charges from RC. Has anyone used their I phone on a european cruise without incurring extra charges other than what is stated by their provider? thanks :)

Hi, sorry no advice to your question as I have no idea :eek:

However......I was in the shop today updating my contract and have just changed to an I-phone 4.

The assistant warned me about taking the phone abroad as apparently, the I-phone will still go onto roaming as its constantly searching for data, even when it's switched off! She said that there had been several cases of people returning home to a huge bill, despite not using their phone. :eek:

She recommended leaving it at home and taking a 'normal' phone ;)

I would have thought that theres some way of disabling the data but the assistant seemed very knowledgeable. We're off to the US in August, I'm going to leave mine behind! Just in case.... ;)

Perhaps someone will come along who's an Iphone expert and be able to advise you better. Or perhaps you could call into your local phone shop and ask them? :)

Anne-marie

I have an iPhone 4 and have taken it all over including USA. There is no problem just go into Yr Settings, choose General then network. It will have a box to turn off data roaming. If I want to send emails or go online I just find free wifi somewhere, there are lots of places free these days. Hotels, shops etc.

The camera is fab also. Certainly wouldn't leave it behind!

Anne-Marie, you don't have to leave your iPhone at home. What's the point in that! LOL

You just have to switch off your data roaming. What it is, is that a lot of apps need to be "live" to work. I take mine so I can still use the phone, play games on it etc. When in port I take it with me and stand near a free wi-fi spot (like McDonalds or Starbucks), switch it all on, download my email and switch the data roaming off again. Then I can read my email off line and it hasn't cost me anything at all.

i agree with both of the above - i have had a few iphones including the iphone 4 - i travel to the US a couple of times a year and just switch off the roaming and use wifi wherever available.

Depending on your operator you can also get various add-ons/bolt ons for european data roaming - it wont be free or unmetered like back in the UK but it will mean cheaper rates - this is good if your like your emails/facebook/twitter updates imediately (in other words a geek with OCD). if not use the same aproach as above, turn off data roaming (i beleive it is off by default) and grab free wifi wherever you can.

this is good if your like your emails/facebook/twitter updates imediately (in other words a geek with OCD).

this should have read this is good if your like me and need your emails/facebook/twitter updates imediately

i was trying to say i was the geek not yourself, reading it back it could be miss-understood. :)

Im just back off a Spanish Med cruise with RCI and have an iphone, my bill came to £16 more than usual but i spoke to family for about 20 mins in total and couple of times we were away from any ports just watch the phone doesn't go onto WMS network as it does cost a fortune!!

I mainly could still pick up my Orange signal if not it was Movistar.

Remember to turn off the data roaming!!!!!!!!!!

Archived