Buenos Aires to Valparaiso review

relevart

This was the last sailing of the Royal Princess around South America. We embarked in Buenos Aires after a night at the Kempinski Park Plaza. For some reason the hotel paid the cab fare to the ship, which surprised us. We don’t know why except that they did not meet us at the airport like they were supposed to. The hotel was fine and they recommended a good tango show and dinner.

We had a balcony very far forward starboard side, which was the right side to be on for this cruise. We would have much preferred amidships but they were all taken when we booked almost a year ago. The ship was great as was the crew. There was a broken pipe that caused a few cabins some problems but the occupants said that they were very well compensated.

The first stop was Montevideo. We didn’t do much there except take a van to a leather factory and look around town a bit. They had beautiful leather jackets.

After a sea day we were at Puerto Madryn. We had made arrangements with Port Compass to go to Punta Tombo. It was a wonderful trip. We left at around 6:30 am to get there before all the busses arrived. Our guide and driver were great. It was a long ride over very rough roads of rocks to gravel to sand. The only bad part is that we were in the back seat of a tiny car and the front seats were pushed all the way back, or so it seemed. The drivers knees were pressed against the dashboard. It was an uncomfortable ride but I would do it again in a New York minute! We saw all sorts of wild life while on the drive, guanacos, sheep, and birds. It was great. When we got to the rookery we were the only ones there for the whole time. We spent about an hour or so walking around with the penguins. There were 200,000 to 400,000 of them depending on who you talked to. They were so much fun. We saw them marching down to the sea in bunches, making babies, feeding babies, refurbishing nests, yelling at each other, molting and just walking around. You are right there with them and they are very friendly. When we were ready to leave the busses from 2 ships started to arrive. We were so thankful we had done the tour where we got the whole reserve to ourselves. The tour included a stop for a meal (at our expense) but we declined, as it was only 10:30. We did tell the guide earlier that we would like to stop by the Welsh village; she said there would not be enough time. But I think since we did not stop for the meal they took us there and we drove around the town. It was very nice but not a deal breaker.

The next day was a sea day. The following day we were up early for the tour to Fort Stanley in the Falklands. I was all dressed in boots etc and grabbing my jacket as the captain announced that because of the weather we would not be able to go to Ft. Stanley. That was the only place we had used the ships tour so we didn’t have to worry about canceling that. So the next few days were sea days. Instead of 22 knots we were down to 8 knots. The further we went the worse it got. I understand some waves were 50 feet and the winds gusted up to 80 MPH. It was a challenge just getting from the bed to the bathroom not to mention from our very far forward cabin to the dining room or buffet which were aft!

One day I was at an art auction and a $45,000 Erte went flying off the easel! I saw lots of plates broken. One night a glass in our bathroom fell to the floor and broke.

The next thing to look forward to was going around the horn. The weather was terrible, and the captain came on the intercom and said we would not be able to go around the horn because of the seas. They got only as far as the airport. Needless to say we were very disappointed but if you want a predictable vacation, go to Disneyland!

Our next stop was Ushuaia. The people that had paid for 5 days to go to Antarctica were not able to go that was a big disappointment for them. We had contracted for a tour of the Beagle Channel. We were on a boat with only 4 other tourists. Lots of sea lions, seals and birds. It was really beautiful but a bit on the cool side this town at the bottom of the world! They showed us one place where the water was 50 meters deep and you could see all the way to the bottom as clear as could be.

More sea days and then Punta Arenas. We took the shuttle into town and walked around. The weather was great! Blue skies and sunshine. It was a beautiful town with a nice town square.

The only other port was Puerto Montt. When we got ashore there we got an English speaking cab driver to take us to Frutillar and Puerto Varas and the beautiful Lake Llanquihue. The weather was perfect and it was a lovely day.

The rest of the trip until we got to Valparaiso was visiting glaciers in the Chilean Fiords. They were really beautiful although it seemed to go on forever. Personally I would rather have had another city or two thrown in rather than all the scenery. At one point we saw some campers along the route and they waved at us and the captain blew the horn a couple of times. It was they only people we had seen in days!

When we got to Valpo we disembarked and met friends that showed us around until it was time to go to the airport and fly out of Santiago. The ship said we would have to pay a $28.00 fee to get out of the country but no one asked for it.

It was a great trip although a little too much on the nature side rather than the city side for me.

If you have any questions I will try to answer them.

Carol,

Thanks for writing out your review of your cruise on the Royal. We are on the Regal leaving from Rio to Valpariso in early January 2006.

I am sorry the weather was not better for you as some of the sailings this summer have had great weather though one of the HAL ships was unable to pick up the tenders from the Falklands and the passengers had to stay overnight on the island. All this is part of the adventure of going so far south.

We are looking forward to seeing the penguins and birds and realize that this is a real nature trip - albeit once in a lifetime experience.

Jennie

Many thanks for the review of your cruise.

Was Port Stanley the only port that was tendered on your cruise.

Approx how many rough days did you have? I know the weather

changes quickly. The cruise is supposed to be really scenic which I am

looking forward to.

again thanks

cheers

Aussielil,

We had about 2 rough sea days before Ushuaia and one after.

The only other place we tendered was Port Montt.

We definitely brought more heavy clothes than we needed but I guess that depends on the weather when you are there.

WE cruised this itinerary in january of 2005. The weather for us was very calm (yes we had 28 days of calm seas) although cool - cold from Puerto Montt - Port Stanley. It is too bad that you missed Port Stanley in the Falkland Islands - it was a very interesting port.

We tendered in 3 ports - Puerto Montt, Punta Arenas & Port Stanley.

Yes this is a cruise that is heavy on the natural beauty that you will see rather than shopping malls.

WE all loved it.

Ponstad,

The tango show was Piazzolla. There were about 5 couples dancing, 6 piece orchestra and a male and female singer. I thought it was excellent. The dinner and wine were great too! It was $55.00 and a van picked us up at the hotel. It was a Sunday night and there were about 50 people in the audience. We were the only Americans there which I thought was really neat!

• 3 months later...

On the 15th December this year I am starting the holiday of a lifetime, will land at Santiago, stay two nights, then board Norwegian Crown at Valparaiso and do the reverse itinerary to the one you did, ending up at Buenos Aires for two nights before flying back to the UK on the 4th January 06.

Was interested to hear what the weather was like as I am still unsure what to take, clothing wise. Probably a mixture of t-shirts and jumpers just to be on safe side.

• 1 month later...
On the 15th December this year I am starting the holiday of a lifetime, will land at Santiago, stay two nights, then board Norwegian Crown at Valparaiso and do the reverse itinerary to the one you did, ending up at Buenos Aires for two nights before flying back to the UK on the 4th January 06.

Was interested to hear what the weather was like as I am still unsure what to take, clothing wise. Probably a mixture of t-shirts and jumpers just to be on safe side.

Hi Goldryder...I just booked this cruise today...cant wait! We should start a roll call :)

Thanks for the great review. We're taking that cruie Feb 2007 because we have a cruise to the panama canal booked for next year. I didn't realize that the cruise books up so fast. Did you take princess tours or did you book when you got to the dock. Do most cab drivers speak enough english to take us around?

• 3 weeks later...

In Aregentina and Chile in december is summer,

with temperatures of 28 up to 32 degrees

In the south of these country (patagonia) the temperature can lower until in 10 degrees

it is possible that in the south you see rain

In Aregentina and Chile in december is summer,

with temperatures of 28 up to 32 degrees

In the south of these country (patagonia) the temperature can lower until in 10 degrees

it is possible that in the south you see rain

Thanks for that info, much appreciated.

I am flying from the UK's winter so decided to take a few jumpers with me, seeing as we will be going as far south as you can almost get. At least if it does get warm on board, I can always take a jumper off but by the same token, if it does get chilly, then I am prepared. I am also taking a waterprrof and fleece lined jacket too, for those times on deck with the camera.

I honestly cannot wait for December 15th to get here so I can finally board the first of 3 planes to fly to Santiago and start this holiday :):):)

Archived