Rent-a-Wreck in Juneau Is Ready!

tee_harbor

Thanx for posting Tee! Though we won't be there til Aug., we've got our Juneau "chariot" reserved from RAW and are very excited to explore on our own. Woo-hoo- Alaska cruising season is about to begin. Wish I was on one of those first cruises as well....but alas, waiting for bears and salmon this year so I had to forgo my usual late May/early June trip. Only 3+ months to go....gonna be a looooonnnnnngggg summer for me!:o

• 9 months later...

Hi, Tee. I'm planning on renting a wreck in June for our Alaskan cruise. We are only in Juneau for 8 hours and I'm trying to budget time responsibly. How long does it take to get to Eagle Beach from downtown?

And thanks for all your wonderful advice on the boards. I've learned so much just by lurking!:)

Hi, Tee. I'm planning on renting a wreck in June for our Alaskan cruise. We are only in Juneau for 8 hours and I'm trying to budget time responsibly. How long does it take to get to Eagle Beach from downtown?

And thanks for all your wonderful advice on the boards. I've learned so much just by lurking!:)

I'm so happy to see people have discovered Eagle Beach. It wasn't even mentioned on this board until the last year or so. Not only do I think it's a lovely sight, but taking that drive will show you other beautiful sights along the way.

As it happens, I've moved Out the Road since I posted the original post last year. I work near the docks and now live a couple miles from Eagle Beach. I would say, with the heavier summer traffic, it would be at least 45 minutes from the downtown pickup locations to Eagle Beach.

But the truth is, you'll want to stop along the way, so this could use your eight hours easily. Study the map of Juneau and get a sense of where you're trying to go and the sights along the way.

I'd suggest going by Glacier Highway all the way one direction and using the Mendenhall Back Loop the other. That way you can stop at the glacier and get some obligatory photographs. On Glacier Highway, you can first stop at a good photo spot for the glacier just past Brotherhood Bridge, then stop at Auke Lake, take photographs of the this gorgeous body of water, and possibly check out the Chapel by the Lake if that interests you.

Auke Bay is the last food, snacks and gas before going Out the Road. Hot Bite, down by the harbor, is very good, but slow. DeHarts has snack foods and some hot food. The Southeast Waffle Company, on the other side of the road, has espresso drinks, sweet and savory waffles, as well as a few lunch items. There's pizza in the Squire's Rest, the bar over the Waffle Co. Chan's Thai Kitchen does not have takeout, but is very good.

It's also possible to put together a picnic at all of the grocery stores you pass on the way out, or there's two Subways and a McDonald's. Just remember to be bear safe with your food no matter where you choose to eat outside. There's covered picnic areas at several beachside parks along the way to Eagle Beach.

Besides the beaches, there's several lookouts on the ocean where whales can sometimes be spotted.

Good luck with your day!

Tee - your mention of Eagle Beach early last year is what spurred us to stop there w/our rental car this past August. AMAZING!! The views are spectacular, we saw a ton of eagles, got a look at the newly refurbished public use cabin out there (how lovely it would be to stay there!). We stopped at the fish hatchery on the way out - it was a fascinating experience to see all those salmon swimming up the ladder, and the sealion at the bottom having his lunch! We stopped Hot Bites on the way out to Eagle Beach for....well, a bite;)....and just thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! Our only disappointment was that we arrived at the brewery right at 6PM - closing time, unfortunately. My niece's boyfriend was VERY disappointed - next time we'll plan appropriately! Again, thanx for your recommendation of Eagle Beach, I hope others take advantage of a stop there - it is well worth the drive, and the views along the way didn't suck either:D!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived