Three (3) Easy Epic Questions

Hblanton

Heading off for the 5/7 Transatlantic. I have 3 questions:

1: Does a regular balcony suite have robes?

2: What is the laundry situation - is their a self serve? (11 day trip = laundry)

3: Is it possible to get a deck chair (lounger) put on your balcony? I got an oversided balcony and was hoping I could take some oversized naps.

Some easy answers :)

Not sure what you mean by "balcony suite", but regular balcony staterooms do not have robes

2: What is the laundry situation - is their a self serve? (11 day trip = laundry)

No self serve. There is at least one day where you get a fixed price for as much as you cram in a single bag, otherwise it's hotel pricing (like $4 to clean a t-shirt)

3: Is it possible to get a deck chair (lounger) put on your balcony? I got an oversided balcony and was hoping I could take some oversized naps.

Folks have said they have successfully gotten a lounger by asking their cabin steward.

Sdmike is right on points 2&3 but if you ask your steward for a robe/robes (as we did) you should get them. Also on more than one occasion i saw PAX manhandling a lounger down the stairs/lift to take to their stateroom. not sure if it is allowed but they were doing it anyway!

..on more than one occasion i saw PAX manhandling a lounger down the stairs/lift to take to their stateroom. not sure if it is allowed but they were doing it anyway!

Sort of like moving a stool from the lobby bar at the Marriott so you can put it at the desk in your hotel room.

As for the robes, get 'em and wear 'em, but not to the buffet and "in commando style."

People, you can't live with them and you can't live with them. ;)

So yes/no on robes (no but maybe if I ask.) I guess that means pack my light robe if I have space. Otherwise not. I pack to travel, not to cruise, so I just have an expanded roll-on, a cabin bag and a man-purse. Every cubic inch matters!

I HATE the laundry option. Hate doing laundry in the sink. But even more hate paying $4 for a pair of undies. I think this means pack more for the cruise, and plan on tossing a bunch of extra socks, shorts, etc. "Laundry Style" is fine for 1 week in the carribean. but this trip is a 11 day relocation to Europe.

I'll be asking for the lounger immediately! On W to E TAs like this I always get a cabin on the starboard side so we get sun all day. I paid a few extra bucks for a larger balcony. I would't take an upgrade if it meant going to the port side.

and as to the "Standard Suite" - oops, an artifact of most recent TA on RCCL Voyager. All suite ship. Alas, wish fulfillment fantasy as we have standard stateroom with balcony on this ship. Still, should be relaxing.

Based on what I've seen on longer itineraries, I fully expect at least 2 of the "all-you-can-stuff-in-a-bag for $25" specials during the TA. They do a pretty good and speedy job, but I wouldn't send out anything really nice. We limit ours to shorts, tees, undies, socks.

I'm sure I COULD pack for a 11 day cruise easily enough if I took a 28" suitcase. But we'll be traveling across Spain, E. Europe, Germany and UK before we come back and all I take is a 21" roller. 27" is fine if you are going to just go by ship, but manhandling that on trains, planes and automobiles...and hotels, apartments, cabs...no thanks. I just have to pray for those little blue paper bags to do my laundry for a mere $25

OP you'll do fine. I also pack light and did fine for a 14 day transat. I washed out my undies every night, got the quick dry kind and brough only 3 pairs so one was on, one was drying overnight, and the other as a spare just in case one wasn't dry enough the next day.

I'll be gone for a month to Germany and Mallorca so I'm packing for 2 different climates and it will be all in a 22'' suitcase. Luckily enough it will be a land vacation so I do have washing machines to use.

Don't sweat the small stuff, just make sure you can wear things more than once and you won't have a problem. In fact what you change into for the evening meal can then become the daywear for the next day or so.

Questions 1 and 3 can be handled by your steward IF you deal with him appropriately!!!!! And I mean VERY well. No self service ldry, so either wash your nickers in the bath / shower or go for the laundry service.

Archived