Isle Roatan Snorkeling question

xbatt8

Hi all,

We will be in Isle Roatan in June and I was wondering if there is anything to see if snorkeling off the beach. DW is not a big fan of snorkeling from a boat, just off the beach. We had planned to just do the beach that is walking distance from the dock, but may not if there is nothing but sand to see.

Thanks for your input,

Bob

Take the Carnival excursion to Tabyana Beach. Very good snorkeling there. Go to the extream left end of the beach (less other people and the reef is full of all their different fish, shallow, and close to shore) We have been there twice.

We have snorkeling off the beach at Maya Keys and also in the Lagoon at Parrot Tree Plantation. Both areas have beautiful sea life. Snorkelers beware, one of the men in our group was stung by a lion fish while snorkeling! Caused extreme pain, swelling and numbness for the better part of two days. Two weeks later, his finger has still not returned completely to normal. Pretty to look at ~ just don't touch!

I agree with Mowrider.

Tabyana Beach was our favourite excursion of our cruise on the Legend. Left side of the beach has a large rock formation with all kinds of life above and below the water surface.

Enjoy!

I'm sure you'd see some fish, but probably not much since Carnival blasted and dredged much of the coral to build their port and beach:( As the previous poster said, go to Tabayana (on West Bay)....beach is much nicer and there is good snorkeling there. It will also give you the opportunity to see the beautiful island...some of the views are breathtaking! I hate the port area...just like every other one you see. YUCK!

We snorkeled at West Bay. Tabyana and Bananarama are resorts there. We had a driver and he just took us to the beach (we weren't interested in paying for a resort)... rented snorkeling equipment on the beach and had a blast!

Take the Carnival excursion to Tabyana Beach. Very good snorkeling there. Go to the extream left end of the beach (less other people and the reef is full of all their different fish, shallow, and close to shore) We have been there twice.

I agree 100%! LOVED Tabyana Beach! EXCELLENT snorkeling with one caveat.. That is snorkeling gear rental. They charge for the amount of TIME you have the gear. SO...say you want to snorkel when you first get there, catch some rays for a while, and snorkel again....they are pretty much going to rake you over the coals on gear rental fees. Smart thing to do here is to bring your OWN.

Oh yeah...the food. There were two lines when we were there....one Carnival and one RC....RC was WAY better food than the Carnival line. Just FOOD for thought so to speak!:D

We've been to Maya Key twice, once when it was Fins and Flippers and a private excursion. Now it's a Carnival excursion and more $$$, but worth it. Snorkeling is some of the best, just walk down this pier

2192023570059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

and down the ladder, and you are on the reef. Amazing wall of coral.

2349136350059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

And company!

2149961130059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

We'll most likely be going back in August (barring all hurricanes :eek:), not crowded, great lunch included.

Take the Carnival excursion to Tabyana Beach.

You don't need to book through CCL! We booked privately, much cheaper, went to Bananara. Do note that the price for drinks and beer there is very, very reasonable, I think beers were $1.25 and blended, yummy drinks like coco locos were $4.50.

You don't need to book through CCL! We booked privately, much cheaper, went to Bananara. Do note that the price for drinks and beer there is very, very reasonable, I think beers were $1.25 and blended, yummy drinks like coco locos were $4.50.

Was there good snorkeling from the beach? Equipment rentals available?

Thanks,

Bob

Was there good snorkeling from the beach? Equipment rentals available?

Thanks,

Bob

THere was equipment rentals though I can't tell you the price (we always use out own stuff).

You walk down the beach about, oh, 500' from Banarama and head into the rocky area, it is very, very close to shore. It is kind of like a maze you follow.Saw lots of different fish, saw a barracuda. Very nice. I saw more fish there than I did at Fins and Fliipers, but Fins and Flippers (now called Mayan something) had some beautiful coral.

Hi all,

We will be in Isle Roatan in June and I was wondering if there is anything to see if snorkeling off the beach. DW is not a big fan of snorkeling from a boat, just off the beach. We had planned to just do the beach that is walking distance from the dock, but may not if there is nothing but sand to see.

Thanks for your input,

Bob

I haven't been to the beach by the Carnival port so i can't comment on that. However, we've snorkled from the beach at West Bay Beach and it is absolutely beautiful.

Ditto what this poster said. My daughter had over a hundred fish around here at one time. :eek: There are also iguanas on the cliff to your very left. I would go there again in a heartbeat.

Ditto what this poster said. My daughter had over a hundred fish around here at one time. :eek: There are also iguanas on the cliff to your very left. I would go there again in a heartbeat.

Some call the rocky cliff "Iguana Rock". You should be able to see several of the critters sunning themselves along the rock wall. Also, if you are snorkling by the wall, be very careful not to touch the reef. It is shallow and the reef comes very close to the surface in several areas. You should be able to find channels between the crops of reef. Have fun. Been to this beautiful island the past 3 years. Will be staying at Infinity Bay for 2 weeks in 18 more days!

• 2 weeks later...
Some call the rocky cliff "Iguana Rock". You should be able to see several of the critters sunning themselves along the rock wall. Also, if you are snorkling by the wall, be very careful not to touch the reef. It is shallow and the reef comes very close to the surface in several areas. You should be able to find channels between the crops of reef. Have fun. Been to this beautiful island the past 3 years. Will be staying at Infinity Bay for 2 weeks in 18 more days!

Are these beaches all private beaches? I mean, do I have to book thru one of these resorts to get on the beach and go snorkeling? Is there no public access?

flatman.....the beach at West Bay (Tabyanna) is all public. Just take a cab (they usually drive down the access road leading to Bananarama) and walk down to the water. Research "snorkling" here or at Tripadvisor.com to get a ton of related info. Bottom line, IMO, West Bay is the prettiest beach in the Caribbean. Starting my count down to get back there for my 4th trip next Sat.

flatman.....the beach at West Bay (Tabyanna) is all public. Just take a cab (they usually drive down the access road leading to Bananarama) and walk down to the water. Research "snorkling" here or at Tripadvisor.com to get a ton of related info. Bottom line, IMO, West Bay is the prettiest beach in the Caribbean. Starting my count down to get back there for my 4th trip next Sat.

Thanks for the info. I'm a terrible snorkelor partly cuz I don't float (salt water or not) so I have a lot of trouble jumping off of a boat and then trying to put my mask on, not to mention I have a fear of hieghts and I panic easily, so I usually am pretty safe going from shore as long as it's not too far out or too deep.

We have been to Roatan three times with a fourth trip coming up this fall. First time was to where Mahogany Bay is now. At that time we noticed the man made beach and the snorkeling was good however the best area is now roped off due to the channel the ships now go in and out of. The last two trips have been to Bananarama and our third trip will be in November. Our kids and my parents thought the trip was the highlight of our cruise. Looking forward to Monkey Lala's on the beach served by the great staff at Bananarama!!

Snow bunny

Archived