oceanic vs. windstar

shellieg

I am considering taking a Mediterranean cruise in August and was wondering which line better, Windstar or Oceania. I know that they are different size ships, but how do both compare to one another as far as luxury, food, rooms etc.? Has anyone cruised the Mediterranean on either one? I want to go to French Riviera and Italy and maybe Spain if the itinerary goes there... I'm not too interested in Greece on this trip.

Thanks,

Shellieg

My husband and I have been on 4 Windstar cruises and are booked on our 5th (2 Caribbean, 1 Europe, 1 Greece and 1 Costa Rica) We have been on one Oceania cruise in the Med. and are considering one in Dec in South America.

Both are very enjoyable experiences with a casual friendly non - "stuffy" , no gowns and tuxes type atmosphere. Similar prices (but Windstar usually available for somewhat less on same number of days trip) similar age groups, both wonderful!

Here are the pros and cons as I see them and for what it's worth:

Windstar pros: the whole sailing experience which we love, free water sports platform (we use it every chance we get to kayak and sail.) There are also banana boats and they allow swimming off the platform on the 2 smaller ships but not on the Wind Surf which has a different platform; more outdoor deck space than Oceania, cd players and refrigerators in the cabins (not on Oceania - unless you book butler cabins, I believe, which we did not have) usually good bands for dancing (not so on our one Oceania sailing, but I'm sure this varies and we have had not so great bands on Windstar, too), less expensive wine and drinks as I recall; optional tipping (some may see this as a negative), better less expensive shore excursions, more unusual and smaller ports, very pleasant staff all over the ship including the officers, open bridge policy at almost all times

Windstar cons: no balconys at all, ship public areas not as plush or large as Oceania, although still very nice and more "nautical"

Oceania pros: beautiful ship, wonderful food, fabulous high tea, more dining venues, loved our balcony, less focus on selling products in the spa (although that varied by person giving the service and I understand the provider has changed since we were on Oceania last fall) great library, can cover more ground in same number of days if that is important to you

Oceania cons: less deck space to be outside walking around, expensive drinks, "automatic" tipping (although you can ask for it to be removed) we really missed the refrigerator and cd player and would book a pricier cabin next time to get this and other amenities, not enough laundry facilities for the number of people on board, very overpriced shore excursions, larger ship (didn't get to know as many people because of that)

Guest Jancruz

I too have been on both and agree with a lot of what has been said..a few things to add..Windstar cabins much smaller..no elevator so lots of walking stairs..no entertainment at all with the exception of music and videos..and optional tipping is ridiculous as I dont know anyone that wouldnt tip..

Oceania: Wonderful size cabins, great service, several dining venues, entertainment every night..lovely shops and spa..

Jan

Have also been on both and they are 2 very different products. Comparing a sail boat ( although large ) to a cruise ship. One is for water play and one is for a relaxed cruise experience. Windstar if you like water sports as they have all the toys -- great for Carib. For Med of course a cruiseline would be my chioce. Also, besides what has been written already,

Windstar cabin had porthole window: for me I need to have fresh air.. so a balcony is a must.

Archived