Things I've Learned Reading Cruise Critic

Well said! I have been taken back by some of the outright rudeness of some of the more experienced cruisers.....and in fact this had made me think twice before posting a question.

I completley agree. It's crazy how mean some people can be. Whatever happened to "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all"?

I wanted to say that this is a very enjoyable post to read. I have often wondered if the meanness on this board ever transfers into real life.....probably not:rolleyes:

That and to lament i will never be platinum as i am not loyal to any line....we suck we know.....it all come down to date and itinerary for us....somehow we do manage to sleep at night, but just barely;)

Oh, good! I was afraid I was the only cruise line slut on the board :D

Not all of us on CC are mean. I am not Platinum - but I am working on it and I hope I don't become one of the "worship me because I am platinum and therefore better than you" folk. I have also been on other lines (Celebrity, NCL, RCCL, Princess) but the majority of my cruises have been with Carnival. So please ask away and just ignore the less than helpful posts. After awhile you too may become impervious to the flames. :)

I've had people comment on some of my posts, like it was their business who I choose to cruise with...:rolleyes:

I enjoy this board and have learned a lot from it. Indeed, this thread is a breath of fresh air!

I too would be happy to answer any questions...I've only sailed twice, third upcoming - but am glad to help.

Happy cruisin' everyone!

I know when I get my platinum membership card i will not be letting any of you peons kiss my ring.

:D

But there are many who can kiss my ..................! (fill in the blank with the part you like best.) I wanna be platinum just because I wanna cruise lots. The only perk I'd like to see is that first DOD be free.

I'm hoping to be Platinum someday but solely for the free laundry. Other then that, nothing else matters. Great post!

Exactly!!! We usually book a Suite because we generally can only take one cruise a year, so we splurge on that one. We aren't very often found in the line at Guest Services, so for us the free laundry is the "big perk". :)

I'm still on the fence between RCCL and CCL for next year's honeymoon, so I keep reading reviews of both ships as I try to decide what's the best deal.

However, I'm learning less about the ships as I am about the people who post here. To wit:

1. People love to talk about their status.

If there's anything you can count on at Cruise Critic, it's that people love to talk about just how many cruises they've taken and look down upon the unwashed masses that haven't hit an elite level in the cruise line's loyalty program. This manifests itself in one of two ways:

a) The namedropper. This is the guy who loves to flash his platinum membership card on ship because he thinks the world worships him. Only because of this affirmation can he enjoy his trip.

b) The "don't you know who I am" guy. Actual quotes from CC reviews: "For Platinum, Diamond and Diamond Plus member, no special lunch. Instead there is a 2ND welcome back greet without gold members where they server snacks (lame)." " In the theater, the first three balcony rows are blocked off to anyone below Diamond-Plus. We finally make Diamond, and we get squat! You would think that after 10 cruises (8/10 in balcony rooms) we could sit anywhere. Nope. People on their FIRST RCI cruise, who were in anykind of suite, got all the perks that should go to frequent cruisers. The fact is, that my husband and I have spent more on our 10 RCI cruises than first time cruisers in suites. Some loyalty program."

Guess what? If you're going to take the same vacation ten (or 28) times, you probably should be used to the drill of getting to the theatre early for prime seating. Why is the fact that you had to eat the same food as everyone else a big deal? After all, you've been on the ship so many times, you presumably like the food, right?

And for us, the gentle readers who are looking to see if we might enjoy spending a week on board the ship for the first time, trust me, we don't care a single bit whether the cabin stewards got down on their knees and kissed your ring or not. You paid for the same cruise as the other 1500 people on the boat. If you've been loyal to the line, you should know what to expect. Enjoy your vacation.

I've had elite status with airline and hotel loyalty clubs. It's nice to get a free bottle of water when you check in, but whether you stand in the long line that snakes around or you stand in the short one, it's not going to leave until you're on board.

2. The rules are for other people.

More actual quotes: "even though I bought a soda card, they still confiscated my Sprite that I ALWAYS take. They took them from checked in luggage, not carry-on. I like to have my Sprite to take my morning medicines. I don't like the faucet water...it smells. They would not budge on this issue."

I like reading that passage in a really whiny voice, because that's got to be how this person sounds 24/7 and I hope to never be on the same ship. Now that is coming from a RCCL review where they can't take on a 12 pack of soda in a carry-on, but please, it's not like anyone who posts here doesn't know that you can't check soda and beer on either line, but if you really have a thing about not taking your medicine to the buffet, maybe you could order room service?

"Our kids were constantly asked to show their IDs even though they weren't doing anything but sitting at a table with a drink in their hands, sometimes they were just walking in the hallways without a drink but were stopped anyway. RC strictly follows US laws regarding underage drinking. The guys were not allowed to even have a drink in the presence of their parents! The guys were not belligerent, loud, or bothering other travelers. They were just having a beer. My nephew, who will be 18 in March, was hounded for walking in the hallway after the 1:00 curfew for those under 18. IT WAS 1:05 A.M.!"

I wonder if the person who posted that knows this woman?

3. Carnival sucks because they don't have Honey Stung Chicken.

Really? You're going to base your entire opinion of a cruise line on a frozen chicken breast that I can buy at Costco?

Listen, I'm not going to judge the culinary skills of either line based on their buffet. But if you have an amazing experience in the steakhouse or dining room, tell us about it. How was the wine?

Did you have lunch or breakfast in the dining room? (I didn't notice that it was offered on my last cruise, but after reading about it here I'll try it on my next one.)

4. Royal Caribbean sucks because they don't have Chocolate Melting Cake

Not sure I understand the worship on these boards of the lava cake. You do realize that you can find that at restaurants on land as well as make it in your own kitchen, right? It's a safe bet that if a review opens with "CHOCOLATE MELTING CAKE!!! EVERY NIGHT!!!" a foodie isn't writing the review. Then again, I'm the type of person who goes out of his way on vacation to eat food I can't get at home. If I'm in Montego Bay, I'll walk over to the Pork Pit for some tasty jerk pork or chicken and pass everyone else eating overpriced cheeseburgers at Margaritaville. It's not that I'm better than you, I just enjoy eating like a local whether I'm in Des Moines or Singapore, and the locals places are usually cheaper (unless it's the Caymans). Mention a dessert in your review that I can't readily find and you'll grab my interest.

5. If you're a shareholder, you deserve perks.

If you have $40 in your pocket, yes, you too can be a shareholder. And as a shareholder, you should be concerned about the profit per passenger that the line makes. Know what a Southwest Airlines shareholder gets on board a flight? Peanuts and a soda. So does everyone else.

Beautifully written - I enjoyed every word. It's all true and kudos for saying it like it is!

Love it all! I am about to embark on number 4 on Carnival and hope to reach platinum to have the free laundry and VIP embarkation, but not really for any other reason. Plus Carnival gives a wonderful product for our money! The policy changes don't phase me a bit - it's a company dealing with people and some things are simply trial and error.

Now I do love the WCMC tho....but I also love all their other desserts....Bitter N Blanc, Grand Marnier Souffle, Tiramisu......YUM!

Archived