Ocean Countess

Hallstone

We went on this ship last September, leaving from Liverpool.

It's an old ship, has it's good and bad points as they all do.

Cabin and entertainment good, food ok, some of the deck areas a bit tatty.

Yes, it vibrates, but you soon get used to it! Port calls handled very efficiently.

All in all it is good value for the money, especially at the low prices the cruises are selling for at the moment. (Though I notice they all have a £6 pp pd fuel supplement)

We would go on it again if the itinerary was right, but if you want fine dining, and all the frills of an upmarket cruise it might be better to look elsewhere.

kate

Many thanks to you both for your replies. We are not interested in the large modern ships, much prefer the small ones - have cruised with Fred Olsen quite a lot. Living in the North West we do like the idea of cruising from Liverpool. Southampton is getting to be such a drag.

We are contemplating a cruise on Ocean Countess and have heard differing views on it. Has anyone had experience of a cruise on this ship?

Hi we have the same mind as you Yes we would rather go from Liverpool can close my eyes to Langton dock a means to an end .

How noisy is this ship We thought Black Prince noisy but there must be a few quiet cabins anyone knows which is the best cabin on this ship.

Chrissy

We have just booked the Celtic explorer cruise on this ship, it ticked several boxes for us, as it has 2 stops in southern Ireland which we have not cruised to and the Scilly islands which we think are beautiful. It means I only need book 3 days holiday for a 5 day cruise, as it cruises over a weekend. It leaves from Liverpool which is good for us. £299 for 4 nights is excellent value too. We cruised last year on Marco Polo, her sister ship. We had an excellent cruise because of the itinerary. The bottom line is, that this is a 2/3 star cruise line and that is what you pay for. It makes cruising affordable to those who do not have a budget for a main stream cruise line.

We have just booked the Celtic explorer cruise on this ship, it ticked several boxes for us, as it has 2 stops in southern Ireland which we have not cruised to and the Scilly islands which we think are beautiful. It means I only need book 3 days holiday for a 5 day cruise, as it cruises over a weekend. It leaves from Liverpool which is good for us. £299 for 4 nights is excellent value too. We cruised last year on Marco Polo, her sister ship. We had an excellent cruise because of the itinerary. The bottom line is, that this is a 2/3 star cruise line and that is what you pay for. It makes cruising affordable to those who do not have a budget for a main stream cruise line.

Hi thank you yes its the Liverpool cruise port that we want hence Ocean Countess, I think i will take a look at that cruise Ireland is pulling at my Heart strings yet again we only bypass Dublin for Menlough were my son lives. so we dont get to see much. Sounds like a plan will check it out thanks hun im onto it now.

Chrissy

Hi thank you yes its the Liverpool cruise port that we want hence Ocean Countess, I think i will take a look at that cruise Ireland is pulling at my Heart strings yet again we only bypass Dublin for Menlough were my son lives. so we dont get to see much. Sounds like a plan will check it out thanks hun im onto it now.

Chrissy

Hi just booked this cruise may see you aboard our cabin 5116 reception deck way to go

Chrissy

As previously mentioned, you get what you pay for. Countess is quite a nice ship, but the quality of service on board lets her down.

Cabin walls are thin (at least where we were, on deck 4), so you can almost join in next door's conversations. We found some toiletries in our shower cubicle that did not belong to us or the ship, and left them by the bathroom bin. They were still there when on our final day! A towel that we left on one side for replacement one day was put back on the rack.

At breakfast, toast was square and hard (one wag said you could tile a wall with it!). Bacon was streaky, and not well cooked. Requests at dinner for slight changes to what was to be put on the plate (for instance no sauce) did not seem to be understood or catered for. Ice cream was nearly all melted by the time it was delivered to the table.

Nothing really in the way of MAJOR problems, but we found they stacked up, and we would no like to make a long cruise on the ship unless it was a really good itinerary. It is cheap, and definitely no frills.

Oh, and if you take a one way cruise that does not return to Langton Dock, they will insist on bussing you back direct to Langton Dock. We had to pay extra to get back from there to the City Centre/Lime Street, after having spent hours negotiating (with numerous others) via the coach company.

Hi thanks for that, We will have to see what goes when we sail, I have read a few reviews all mixed but they always are. If we hate it that much can always stay at the Burlington hotel or go to Menlough to my sons two hrs away from Waterford our first port of call.

Nice one Chrissy, we have booked a basic inside which will be allocated on arrival. Albeit cheap and cheerful I always think it is the people who make a cruise. I am sure we will get by for 4 nights regardless. Really looking forward to this itinerary. When it gets a bit closer I will post on the roll call page and see if anyone else is joining us.

Hi im really excited now about the cruise, we too have inside cabin the cheaper cabins were all booked we booked direct with cruise Maritime. Our Debs has been to both places in Ireland got as far as the kissing the blarney stone but chickened out but dont tell her boyfriend. So true its the people that make the cruise. We met a fab couple on a cruise we went on our last cruise with them. Ann is thinking of joining us so fingers crossed.

Chrissy

• 3 weeks later...
Hiya,I have just booked on the Ocean Countess going next week £299 6 nights round Norway, I have done plenty of cruises but never round Norway.Nearly as cheap as a week here in Blackpool.:cool::cool::cool:

Hi let us know what you think of the ship and service. You will love Norway. We have been three times maybe w will do Northcape nxt year now thats the best Norway cruise. The 24hr daylight is out of this world.

Ww are just down the road from you in Kirkham, were you on Bouddica in April.

Hiya, In april we was on the thomson Celebration, I have been on the Marco Polo a couple of years ago, Its just so convient sailing from UK because my husband hates airports. I am also watching the price for the cruise from Liverpool in Sept to spain and gib.

Why i asked we had a couple from Blackpool on our cruise in April thought maybe you were one of them. After much deliberation we choice this mini cruise too see if we like the ship as she has had bad feedbacks. As you say Liverpool is so handy for northerners, shame Fred Olsen has pulled the plug on Liverpool. i Will have a look at that cruise maybe next year. How did you fair on Marco Polo.

regards Chrissy.

Archived