Cruisin with 3 yo without father, need a letter?

do I have to bring a notarized letter saying my husband gives me permission to travel with my son without him? I heard this somewhere so I wasn't sure. It's not really a big deal as I'm sure I an do it quickly and I work in a law firm so I can easily get it notarized but I just wasn't sure. Has anyone done this? How should I word it. Thank you.

do I have to bring a notarized letter saying my husband gives me permission to travel with my son without him? I heard this somewhere so I wasn't sure. It's not really a big deal as I'm sure I an do it quickly and I work in a law firm so I can easily get it notarized but I just wasn't sure. Has anyone done this? How should I word it. Thank you.

From what I have learned on this board is that it is "required" and sometimes they ask for the letter and sometimes they don't. I would get the letter if it were me. I would Hate to be turned away at boarding time for something that I could have prevented.

You need to take a letter.

You can google a form letter for taking a child out of the country or just type something up saying they give you permission to take the child to

_______ on these dates ______________ and have it notarized. That will do. We always do this, but have never been asked for it. Others have.

It absolutely is required, but it is not always asked for. It's not just the cruise line, but the countries you are entering/exiting. Out of the seven cruises I've taken alone with my daughters, I've been asked for it a few times - twice by the cruiseline and once by U.S. immigration when we got off the cruise ship. Had I not had the proper documentation in hand, we could have missed the ship or been delayed long enough on our return to the US to miss our flight. There are lots of people who say it's not needed just because they've never been asked, but with more attention to non-custodial parent kidnapping, I think it's too big risk to travel without the documentation.

If you go to the family board here and do a search, others have posted the wording they have used for their letters. You'll also find lots of people who have been asked, and lots who haven't.

Best,

Mia

What if the child has a passport? The "other" parent had to sign a form and have it notarized to get the passport? I was wondering because I might be taking my niece on a cruise. Thanks!

If your niece is a minor no way would I leave home without a letter. It not only proves you have permission by the parents to take them out of the country it also gives you the ability to make medical decisions for them in case of an emergency.

It would be awful to be denied boarding if you did not have it......

If your niece is a minor no way would I leave home without a letter. It not only proves you have permission by the parents to take them out of the country it also gives you the ability to make medical decisions for them in case of an emergency.

It would be awful to be denied boarding if you did not have it......

I ditto that.

We always travel with our Grandchildren and have never been asked if we had the letter. But there is no way I would travel on a cruise or to another country without it. You need both parents permission and medical consent.

Wow thanks everyone. Although I planned on bringing the letter anyway, I had no intended to bring it off the ship. I thought it was just for the cruise line. but thanks to you all, I'll be carrying it with me off the ship as well. I usually don't bring my passport off the ship either, but I guess it's a good idea that I do. Much appreciated. Now I am going to look for the family board to find formatting cause I have no idea where the family board is, lol

Good question!!

What if the other parent has no custody? As in my case I have full custody and DD has a passport. Would they need proof of custody in that case?

You should check with the cruiseline, but I would think if you take your paperwork showing you have full custody you would have no problem. And since you didn't have a problem obtaining her passport without the father I would think it would be a non-issue.

Keep the letter with your paperwork too- On our cruise in February I was never asked for the letter when boarding- I WAS asked for it by the immigration people when I was debarking. (thought it odd but so glad I had it handy)

For your niece-- you want a medical release form also

Good question!!

What if the other parent has no custody? As in my case I have full custody and DD has a passport. Would they need proof of custody in that case?

I was unable to obtain the letter so then when I asked Carnival, they said to bring my custody agreement with a raised seal from the courts here in NYC. I did so, but was not asked for it. That does not mean I will not bring it next time. Rest assured, I will certainly bring it with me just in case. My daughter is almost 17 so one more year of carrying the custody papers and she is an adult.

Good question!!

Yes - they just want proof that you are allowed to travel alone with your child, whether by getting permission from the other custodial parent, or proving there isn't another custodial parent. (birth certificate showing only one parent, death certificate, custodial papers, etc.).

Best,

Mia

Passport or no, bring the letter. Our experience was in 2001, but DH was asked for the letter when taking our son (with a passport) on a flight from Toronto to London - and he didn't have one. We had never heard of it. The immigration folks let them on the flight, but only after taking 10 YO son aside to question him separately about where he was going and why I wasn't with them. What we saw as a great father-son opportunity was viewed by immigration as a potential parental kidnapping.:eek:

And this thread just reminded me - our middle son is sailing with friends on the Bahamas Celebration in August - need to add the letter to the list of documents he will need to take with him.:)

We took on of my son's friends and we had to have a letter, They ask for it at checkin in Miami . I would get one and have it in had. Also we were asked for it in Barbados when we were leaving the ship for some reason.

What if the other parent were deceased? Do you need to bring a copy of the death cert?

Yes (I believe it must be a certified copy of the death certificate). And the child's birth certificate so they can see the name of the missing parent matches the death certificate. This isn't just for cruises, but just about any international travel.

Best,

Mia

What if the other parent were deceased? Do you need to bring a copy of the death cert?

Yes (I believe it must be a certified copy of the death certificate). And the child's birth certificate so they can see the name of the missing parent matches the death certificate. This isn't just for cruises' date=' but just about any international travel.

Best,

Mia[/quote']What I carry with me at all times when traveling abroad and stateside with my DD is a certified copy of my wife's death certificate and my DD's birth certificate and passport. I have never been asked. But you never know when it might be needed.

I was unable to obtain the letter so then when I asked Carnival, they said to bring my custody agreement with a raised seal from the courts here in NYC. I did so, but was not asked for it. That does not mean I will not bring it next time. Rest assured, I will certainly bring it with me just in case. My daughter is almost 17 so one more year of carrying the custody papers and she is an adult.

Not on Carnival she won't be an adult. It's 21 for them. We had to have a letter for a 20yo when we booked.

I just pulled this from carnival's web-site:

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original, signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

I hope that helps!

Archived