Galveston Transfers -- Ideas Please

What is the best way to get from Bush Int'l (IAH) to the Port? We have as many as 14 coming in one/two days prior.

Any recommendations on Limo service, Bus company or using RCI transfer option?

Galveston Limo. RCI uses buses so if you show up early, we wait, and wait and wait.

Galveston limo uses large vans...ie, less waiting..Never hear a bad word, newere equipment..reasonable pricing

On the other side (and far closer to Galveston) is Houston Hobby. You might/might not find better fares and easier transfers there, but I'd double check. Hobby is only 45 minutes from Galveston.

I live in Texas and fly out of Bush all the time, have heard good things about Galveston limo. Remember that you about and hour to an hour and half from the port depending on traffic.

Actually, IAH is 90 minutes to two hours from Galveston. I believe the cruise line transfer runs about $65 each way. Private services approach $100/pp. This would explain why over 90% of passengers sailing from Galveston drive to the port.

On the other side (and far closer to Galveston) is Houston Hobby. You might/might not find better fares and easier transfers there, but I'd double check. Hobby is only 45 minutes from Galveston.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Hobby (HOU) is about 40 minutes from the terminal. If you and your party can fly Southwest or JetBlue, it would make matters so much easier and economical. Delta, AirTran, American and Frontier also fly into Hobby, but the schedules aren't nearly as cruise-friendly.

Please look at the postings on the Gulf Coast Departures thread here on CC. There are so many threads that have addressed transportation from Houston to Galveston. Indeed, Hobby is closer to the port, but IAH is 70 miles away and I drive that distance all the time to that airport. It has never taken me 90 min. With that said, there is a transportation company called Super Shuttle that takes up to 10 (max) passengers and is considerably cheaper than $100 p/p. They do have a website, so just Google it! Galveston Limo has a good reputation also. Good luck with your search!

Please look at the postings on the Gulf Coast Departures thread here on CC. There are so many threads that have addressed transportation from Houston to Galveston. Indeed, Hobby is closer to the port, but IAH is 70 miles away and I drive that distance all the time to that airport. It has never taken me 90 min. With that said, there is a transportation company called Super Shuttle that takes up to 10 (max) passengers and is considerably cheaper than $100 p/p. They do have a website, so just Google it! Galveston Limo has a good reputation also. Good luck with your search!

Yes, the Gulf Coast Departures forum has many such threads, virtually all of which advise passengers of both the time and cost involved when considering IAH as the airport of choice ... none are very encouraging. The Super Shuttle shared van is $146/pp round trip according to its website ... not quite $200/pp, but certainly not a trivial amount. There's also the probability of a wait, unless ten people will be leaving at the same time. As native Houstonians who've made the trip from IAH to Galveston on numerous occasions, we can attest to the fact that it has taken us up to two hours, most times at least 90 minutes. Houston's infrastructure is basically a freshman civil engineering project in its design (or lack thereof) and traffic can be horrendous more often than not. In addition, most other modes of transportation don't travel as fast as a passenger car. By contrast, Hobby to Galveston is about 40 minutes, and shuttles run in the $35/pp range each way. My point is, if at all possible, the OP should investigate this option.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've looked at Hobby, but the added expense of flying into that airport greatly exceeds the transfer saving from that location.

So far AJ Limo appears to be the cheapest (approx $45pp/eachway).

Will research the other boards as suggested.

Thanks again -- and keep the ideas coming. That's what makes this site a winner!

Archived