Sunset Beach Resort, Montego Bay???

chill6x6

Hi,

FYI

I just called Resortforaday and spoke with a very nice lady and she told me that from the Falmouth port the only 2 AI are Hilton Rose Hall or Jewel Runaway Bay.

Here is your best bet for an all inclusive day when porting in Falmouth. Follow the thread below and look at post 4, for a link to reviews on TripAdvisor about Secrets in Montego Bay. Follow up with post 5 in the same thread, which verifies the cost, which is 119 for 2 people, and finally, your transportation needs are in post 9, which is 40 RT for 2 people from the Falmouth port to Montego Bay. The bottom line is that it will run you 159 for 2 people for a great resort and transportation.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1752709

• 2 months later...

I would love to know if anyone has been recently. We just returned for a day at the Sunset Grande in Ocho Rios and LOVED our day there. Looking to book a day pass at Sunset Resort in Montego Bay for our cruise in November. Would love some input.

Booked Sunset for the 2nd time. First time we had the transfers. Will we be able to find a cab for 10 relatively quickly at the port or are we better off splitting up and getting to the Pina Coladas quicker?

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise, and we hit the Sunset while in Montego Bay. Short version: I can't recommend it.

Cabs were plentiful at debarkation, and the fare reasonable (a few bucks). The cab driver did his best to talk us into going somewhere else - I'm sure they get kickbacks.

There was no line at the entrance, but the person that greeted us almost acted disgusted that we hadn't signed up over the internet. I was informed that an inclusive day pass was $60 per person, and we paid.

First, the good stuff:

The facilities are OK. Not great shape, but not exactly run down. The beach is beautiful, and the snorkeling is good off the beach area which is to the right of the facility. The end of the rock jetty separating the two beaches was particularly good. Chaise lounges and umbrellas are plentiful.

Now the bad:

I asked about wifi and was told that was an extra $6/hour. I declined and suggested that the management look up the word "inclusive" in the dictionary.

My wife ordered a pina colada and was handed a 6 oz plastic water cup that contained a squirt of frozen mix and and two shots of rum. Not mixed at all. My wife mixed it with the straw as we made our way to the beach, but by the time we got there, it had completely melted.

My wife then went back and ordered a daiquiri. Same thing - a shot of frozen mix, and two shots of rum. My wife asked the bartender to throw in some extra ice, and the bartender told her "You don't need ice. It is an iced drink." So, my wife asked for a cup of ice and added it herself.

Beer is of course Red Stripe, and served in the same small plastic cups. I just ordered two at a time.

The massage ladies constantly stroll along the beach trying to sell messages - even if you've already repeatedly told them no thanks.

No staff ever comes to the beach to take drink orders.

The lunch buffet was fairly unappealing. I elected to not eat, and my wife got a piece of fried fish and french fries. I did nibble on her food. The fish was greasy and the fries were OK.

I tried to make my way over to the nude beach (bucket list), and was stopped by a security guy before I got close informing me that I had the wrong color wrist band on to get to the nude beach. It turns out that the beach just past the first beach and the nude beach just past that are part of "Sunset Oasis" and aren't included in the "inclusive" day pass - they are an extra $25. Again, I suggested to management that they look up "inclusive" in the dictionary.

I will not go back. Our original plan was to go to Doctor's Cave beach, then Margaritaville for eats and drinks. I think we'd have gotten a lot more for our $120 there.