Retirement Cruise

Retiring in Dec 2012, Cruises for that time? any suggestions for a celebration Cruise??:D:D

Congratulations! :)

How would you feel about a Caribbean cruise? Dream is doing some great itineraries over the winter - if you haven't been before, it would certainly be very memorable but it is different from say, a Mediterranean cruise.

Townships where the ships dock are often very undeveloped and quite poor although we like exploring the culture of different areas (the spice markets are really interesting!) and we don't expect shopping malls everywhere -although some ports do have a commercial feel - especially some geared very much to the American duty free shopping needs (in particular diamond outlets).

There are some notable places/excursions to see on some islands (and local taxi firms quayside do good deals) but to make the most of the Caribbean I'd say you'd have to want to spend some time on the beaches there - that's what they do best! Although of course, you could take advantage of the sunshine on board if you wished.

If you think it might be something you'd consider, get back and I'll look up links to some old reviews I did from the Destiny two years ago and Dream earlier this year - between them they cover most of the destinations on next year's itineraries so you can see what might appeal.

Anyway, happy planning - something exciting to look forward to in the next chapter of your life! ;)

Hi Jan and Jules :):)

Thanks. Yes we had a great time. The weather could have been better especially in Athens (wet) and Mykonos (sadly very wet!!) but otherwise we did ok - although not as hot some days as back here!

Everything on board much as before - although there are a lot of new crew. For the first time in a very long time we didn't recognise anyone on Reception or Destination services. Eventually we began to see some familiar faces amongst the waiters but there are a lot of new ones as so many are now on the Dream. We didn't think the entertainment team were as good as some we've seen - or the 'mix' of shows (not a patch on Dream in January) but we enjoyed them nevertheless. Sharp Notes (in Horizons) and Ocean Vibe did a good job.

Destinations were really good - varied and interesting. Long tiring days in Cairo and Jerusalem - but so worth it! We did the Alexandria tour including the Roman Theatre (Archaeological remains) and the Library (surprisingly fascinating, state of the art facilites and spectacular architecture).

We were pleased that the second half of the cruise was slower paced and more relaxing. We just 'pottered' in Ag Nik, went into Athens on the Metro, explored Didim (quite nice, waterfont cafes etc but nothing special), did the half day trip to Lindos from Rhodes then 'did' Rhodes Town in the afternoon, explored Mykonos in the rain (gorgeous - shame about the weather!) and just had a wander in Kusadasi.

On the Wedding Day, they put up some decorations and showed the BBC coverage on the big screen in the Showlounge. There was a nice atmosphere and they brought round canapes and had a special Wedding Buffet. Nice touch!

The last day in Marmaris we had time to get off for a few hours in the morning before our transfer to the airport. My goodness! I loved Marmaris before but you just wouldn't believe the amount of money which has been spent on the waterfront since last September when we were last there. New sculptures, water features, very smart circular planters with high quality wooden seating around, raised beds newly planted with loads of shrubs and bedding plants, all the promenade and cafe frontages re-tiled, two small light house features. It's fantastic!!! So clean and welcoming. It was a shame we didn't have a whole day there. Just hope it's not going so up-market that Thomson are eased out!

Anyway, I shouldn't really have hi-jacked the thread - apologies. To answer your question about next year Jules - no we haven't made any decisions as yet - but have got a number of 'possibles' in mind. Can't make my mind up whether to 'go for it' or wait for later deals - we could have saved £100's on this last trip - but then again, if it doesn't drop or is unavailable at the last minute you've lost out altogether. It's the old dilemma we keep discussing and I'm not sure there's a right answer! :confused: Have you booked yet? You might have posted and I've missed it.

Congratulations! :)

How would you feel about a Caribbean cruise? Dream is doing some great itineraries over the winter - if you haven't been before, it would certainly be very memorable but it is different from say, a Mediterranean cruise.

Townships where the ships dock are often very undeveloped and quite poor although we like exploring the culture of different areas (the spice markets are really interesting!) and we don't expect shopping malls everywhere -although some ports do have a commercial feel - especially some geared very much to the American duty free shopping needs (in particular diamond outlets).

There are some notable places/excursions to see on some islands (and local taxi firms quayside do good deals) but to make the most of the Caribbean I'd say you'd have to want to spend some time on the beaches there - that's what they do best! Although of course, you could take advantage of the sunshine on board if you wished.

If you think it might be something you'd consider, get back and I'll look up links to some old reviews I did from the Destiny two years ago and Dream earlier this year - between them they cover most of the destinations on next year's itineraries so you can see what might appeal.

Anyway, happy planning - something exciting to look forward to in the next chapter of your life! ;)

Yea Kruzseeka was on the Dream in January at the same time shame we never met, I really enjoyed it and want to do the other way next time st Kitts etc just waiting for Brochures to come out now. Hope all on here are well..

Hi Jan and Jules :):)

Anyway, I shouldn't really have hi-jacked the thread - apologies. To answer your question about next year Jules - no we haven't made any decisions as yet - but have got a number of 'possibles' in mind. Have you booked yet? You might have posted and I've missed it.

Good to hear from you Kruzseeka & glad you had a good time & apolgies from me too for hijacking the thread too!!

Yes, we've booked for 2012 - have decided on the Celebration B2B so sounds like a few of the places you have just visited so it was good to read what you have written! We have got our free AI, airport of choice and even better, cabin of choice - we have to book early to get the dates and a 4 berth cabin which go quickly in the school hols!

Hoping that by the time we get to the Celebration next year that the entertainment will be back on form! We decided against a Baltic Cruise (thanks for all your info though) as thought 2 teenagers would prefer the heat and more of interest in Turkey & Greece for now (and pleased there is a day & a half in Istanbul!) although if Thomson still doing ex-uk in 2013, we might go then!!:)

Marmaris sounds lovely - we did a jeep safari last year from there; tempted to just get off and have a look round & then head to Icemeler by Dolmus having written what you have put next time!

Yea Kruzseeka was on the Dream in January at the same time shame we never met, I really enjoyed it and want to do the other way next time st Kitts etc just waiting for Brochures to come out now. Hope all on here are well..

Of course you were!! How could I forget? Another senior moment!!! :D Perhaps next time we'll make sure we have a drink together. :)

We did the Destiny b-2-b in the Caribbean two years ago and the current Dream iineraries for 2011/12 (didn't read your retirement date properly - confusion all ways round - sorry!) mean you can do pretty well a completely different mix from the ones we did on the Cuban trip. The Eastern Caribbean islands were lovely. Anyway, happy planning! :)

Archived