Can you get Euros onboard during Med cruise

jbranch

Yes, the ship offers currencies exchange service at the guest relations desk, but charges a premium for this. The best rate you can get is using an ATM card at a ATM machine in Europe; especially a Capital One card (no ATM fees and you obtain a rate near the spot rate for converting USD to Euro) - my guess is you'd pay approximately 8% more if you do this on the ship. ATM machines are prevalent in European cities (as least the ones I have been to) and generally do not charge any fees.

I doubt you could pay for a taxi with USD, but you may be able to pay with a US credit card - that would depend on the taxi, not all of them are able to do this, but some can.

You'll need euros in Barcelona. We buy about $100 in euros at home so we have them in our pocket when we have landed at the airport. Don't want to have to hunt down atm's at the airport or anywhere else when we first arrive. Yes we pay a premium for that purchase here at the large local bank. However once abroad we use city ATMs which give a VERY favorable rate. Especially since we use Cap One's money mkt fund for the debits and their charge card which charge none of the usual exchange rates most banks charge.

Yes you can get them onboard for a fee.

Although travelers cheques are nearly impossible to cash in European cities, I understand from others on this board that if you bring TCs in Euros you can cash them on the ship at face value with no fee. I am planning to do this as we have booked some pricey tours that have requested cash payment in Euros.

I would not expect to use US Dollars anywhere on land in Europe (other than at a currency exchange store). Would you expect a local cab driver where you live to accept Euros?

Personally, we buy the minimum amount of Euros we expect to use for the entire cruise at home then supplement, if needed, from land based ATM machines. The rate at home from our bank is almost as good as from ATM's in Europe and that way we don't have to worry about getting to one or if our card will work or not. Yes they are everywhere until you need one and while we don't usually have any issues with our cards working we have run into problems a couple times.

I carry excess cash in a money belt under our clothing along with documents I don't expect to need in our current trip or outing.

Getting your Euro at the airport prior to departing the States is a rip off. Getting it on board the ship is almost as bad.

We always, always, always get our Euro at European Bank ATM's. We get the interbank rate for the day of transaction, and our bank doesn't charge us any conversion fees.

Check with your bank prior to leaving what the ATM/conversion fees are, then do the math. The airport & ship are the worst.

Just be very careful when using ATMs in cities,and be on your guard for pickpockets,dont be parnoid but careful, as said we always use our debit cards for Euros,also watch out for shops etc charging you in your home currency ie they do the conversion

Anyone know if you can buy / exchange for Euros on board the ship during a Med cruise?

Also can you pay for a taxi in Barcelona with US dollars?

There is an ATM machine at the Barcelona airport. That is where we purchased our Euros.

There is an ATM machine at the Barcelona airport. That is where we purchased our Euros.

If the ATM happens to be disabled for some reason or out of money, a lot of taxis take credit cards, and/or have your taxi take you by a bank/ATM on the way to your hotel to get some Euro.

Archived