Estonia

jtamchay

If you are visiting the country of Estonia this cruise season, or anytime in the near future, I suggest a very moving docudrama we just watched...The Singing Revolution...it's a very good retrospective on the history of Estonia, the Russians and Germans who invaded them and their return to a free country in 1991.

We will be there on Oceania Insignia July 31, 2011 and look forward to seeing this beautiful country.

jo

If you are visiting the country of Estonia this cruise season, or anytime in the near future, I suggest a very moving docudrama we just watched...The Singing Revolution...it's a very good retrospective on the history of Estonia, the Russians and Germans who invaded them and their return to a free country in 1991.

We will be there on Oceania Insignia July 31, 2011 and look forward to seeing this beautiful country.

jo

I love estonia, it is charming and I always buy a sweater or two..just an FYI..get some Estonia change, there are no rest rooms in the city that are free and that has caused some problems..

Jancruz1

We visited Estonia while on a Baltic cruise on National Geographic Explorer last fall - "Singing Revolution" was shown on the ship prior to the stop. That really enhanced our understanding of the country's recent history. Another highlight of the cruise was the appearance of both Michael Gorachev and Lech Walensa (not simultaneously!) to address the group..

My husband is of Estonian heritage, and we were fortunate to experience first-hand the "Lalupidu" (singing festival) that was filmed in The Singing Revolution. The love and appreciation of freedom and Estii Maa (Estonian lands) the people in the film express was evident everywhere we visited in Estonia.

Estonia is a very positive place to experience in our currently troubled and cynical world. Not "Pollyanna" people, but grounded, tenacious people who know what they want and are willing to work tirelessly to get there. This is not really evident in the short time in port for a cruise, but it's a country worth visiting for an extended period.

Tallinn is an absolutely amazing city, from the old city walls from the 11th century, which still harbor vendors stalls in their shade, to the bombed out and abandoned houses from WWII time, to the ugly concrete housing projects from the time of the USSR to the busy McDonalds directly inside the old main city gate. When the Estonian government formed in the early 1990's, there was a law that if a family could prove ownership of a property they could have it back! My husband's mother's home in Parnu was returned to a family member in that way. His father's home in Tartu, unfortunately, was one of the structures which no longer exists because of WWII bombing by the Russians as they retreated. That's why you see totally renovated, sparkling new homes next door to totally abandoned, nearly falling down structures whose families may no longer exist - a sobering reminder of the worst of the Soviet times.

And, yes, music is that important to the people. My husband's mother always had a little "snatch" of song for nearly every daily event.

P.S. Be sure you have lots of space on your camera card when you go ashore. Try using the black and white as well as color settings. Some of my best-ever travel photos came from Estonia. My husband describes seeing Estonia in 2006, when we did, as "watching the re-colorization of the country" A very apt description and your camera can capture that.

Enjoy your visit to Estonia! And appreciate what it says about the capacity of humanity, both the good and the bad.

Thank you very much for your tips...we willhave a guide for our visit...in actuality he is a high school friend of our son and he is married to a native Estonian woman...they will be with us and show the beautiful country to us. Kevin and Katrin have homes in Estonia and USA...but are raising their children for their early years mainly in Estonia. The history, culture and nearness to family members will be something those children will remember their entire lives. We are very excited to see Estonia.

jo

Archived