Malta Hop on and Off Bus review

Malta was the only port we didn't have a tour guide set up, we planned on just joining another CC couple who liked the Hop on and Off Buses at other ports. I now know why I like having guides. The bus tour did have head sets etc. and gave information out. The problem is you don't know your way around so we missed a lot of things I wanted to see as we didn't know they were where we were. The travel distance between towns etc. is a little longer then we thought, so we spent a lot of time just getting around on the bus. The bus also didn't seem to come a long all that often, maybe not enough buses. We stopped at Medina, toured around a little, saw the church etc., got back on the bus, stopped at a sea side town for lunch, got back on and got dropped off at the cruise ship terminal, without even the promised stop in Valletta, so didn't even get to see Valletta, that was it, that's all we had time to do, bummer. Our friends said it was the worst of the Hop on Off buses they had done in Europe. Again in order to see enough sites I would get a guide service and NOT use the Hop on Off bus in Malta. I believe that you may not go back to whatever port again, so see as much as possible to capitalize on your limited time, without regard to saving a lot of money and then don't see anything, may as while stay home and watch the travel channel, just my opinion.

Trip was end of April 2011, weather was cool and cloudy the day of our visit. Liked Malta and would love to come back some day

Capt. Ron

• 4 weeks later...

For a change of pace we like the Ho/Ho buses rather than being herded around for 5 hours following someone with a small flag. We mix it up a bit. Tour one day. Walk around if nothing grabs us on the tour brochure. My question is: Does anyone know if Odessa has a HO/HO system? Thanks and happy sailing. Roz

Malta was the only port we didn't have a tour guide set up, we planned on just joining another CC couple who liked the Hop on and Off Buses at other ports. I now know why I like having guides. The bus tour did have head sets etc. and gave information out. The problem is you don't know your way around so we missed a lot of things I wanted to see as we didn't know they were where we were. The travel distance between towns etc. is a little longer then we thought, so we spent a lot of time just getting around on the bus. The bus also didn't seem to come a long all that often, maybe not enough buses. We stopped at Medina, toured around a little, saw the church etc., got back on the bus, stopped at a sea side town for lunch, got back on and got dropped off at the cruise ship terminal, without even the promised stop in Valletta, so didn't even get to see Valletta, that was it, that's all we had time to do, bummer. Our friends said it was the worst of the Hop on Off buses they had done in Europe. Again in order to see enough sites I would get a guide service and NOT use the Hop on Off bus in Malta. I believe that you may not go back to whatever port again, so see as much as possible to capitalize on your limited time, without regard to saving a lot of money and then don't see anything, may as while stay home and watch the travel channel, just my opinion.

Trip was end of April 2011, weather was cool and cloudy the day of our visit. Liked Malta and would love to come back some day

Capt. Ron

We were on this cruise and used the HOHO bus as well. We did not have a tour guide but had researched the places to get on and off prior to our visit. As a result, we has some specific things in mind. For us, it was just what we needed.

Hi Capt Ron! :p

Archived