"Fantasy" class balconies- worth it?

Binkygirl

I am so glad to have these boards. My hubby and I are booked on the Imagination cat.11 (verandah deck). I haven't found much information on these ships....but from what I've read I have mixed feelings on getting the balcony.

Money is not a factor, simply for that fact it's our 10 year anniversary and our parents are watching the kids and we are looking for a nice, enjoyable vacation.

Yes, the balconies are WAY more than an oceanview, but the being not so "private" concerns me.

If anyone has been on these ships, please tell me your experience with a balcony....even though it may not be so private, I can't imagine it not being awesome to have this view of the ocean.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

I had a Cat 12 on Elation last year. Which is next to the Cat 11. We had privacy. Our daughter and son-in-law were in the cabin next door. Even when we were all on our balconies, we couldn't see them or hear their conversations unless we were next to the divider and made an effort to talk to each other. I'd go for it....if I were you. There's not many balconies on that ship, so I'd take it! Enjoy your cruise!!!!

The balcony is absolutely worth it. We loved our category 12 on the Fantasy this past summer. I have some pictures posted on webshots and I think there may be some of the balcony on there. There are plenty of the cabin we had, U111. They are definitely more private than on the Triumph or Glory. These balconies are recessed into the ship with metal dividers between them.

The cat 12 may be worth the extra price, but I don't know if the cat 11 is. The balcony is not private at all, and it is very small. People walking on the deck below can see you on the balcony. Plus, the room is the same size as a 6A.

We had a Cat 12 on our millennium cruise on the Inspiration back at the end of 1999. Yes, having the baclony is fun, but the balconies themselves aren't as nice as what's on the newer ships (steel wall between you and the sea, somewhat dark and uninviting at night).

IMHO the category eleven cabins are not worth the extra money. The cabins are not that much larger than a standard outside cabin. The category eleven cabins are located near the top front of the ship and the balconies have no privacy at all. People that are walking up towards the bridge can look directly at your balcony. Also the balconies are very small.

On the other hand the category twelve cabins are much much nicer and larger with a full size bathroom. They also have a larger and private balcony as they are located down on the Upper deck. If money is no object then I would suggest moving to a twelve.

Our first cruise was on the Inspiration with a Cat 11 balcony. It was wonderful. Your balcony can be overlooked if your close to the front of the ship by people going up/down the stairs. I think ours was V14 - no problem with the stairs as it was further back. It did not have an obstructed view. That deck only has a few cabins on it and was very quiet. As far as privacy on the balcony that depends on how noisy/nosy your neighbors are . We didn't have any problem there either. You sound really excited about the balcony - I would go for it. There's nothing like a balcony.

We had a cat 11 (V3) on Fascination, and No, they are not private at all. Not only is promenade right below you, there was a set of stairs to an upper forward deck running right past our balcony as well. It's great for pulling into port, though. I loved the room, the location is great on the ship, but if money is no object, go for the 12. I enjoyed my room tremendously, but, if I could have afforded it, I'd have gone for a 12.

Archived