Advice for a cruise virgin.

vapourtrail

Hi,

I'm new to this site, and new to cruising. I will be taking my first cruise on the QE2 in April on the Iberian Jewels cruise.

I have found this site to be an excellent source of information. I am always learning something new from the huge knowledge base and experience that people on here have.

I have seen other threads along these lines, but to a complete cruise newbie going on the QE2, what advice does anyone have?

The things I should see/do/check out etc etc.

The do's and don'ts (well the important ones anyway!).

Or any useful info I may need. I'm going to take my ipod and a good book, is there anything else I should be thinking of bringing?

Basically, any advice you may think useful, would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

If you will post your email, I will send you an old series of postings about things to do on the QE2.

Don't be shocked at the size of cabins on this ship. They are tiny compared to newer ships, but you will find the beds and linens are very comfortable and the staff attentive.

In fact, you really don't have to take a book because the QE2 has the largest library on any ship, except maybe the QM2 has now surpassed her. Any way, people line up in the corridor outside the library even before the ship leaves port.

And do take the Heritage Trail which is a tour of the places on the ship where memorabilia is displayed. And check out the Queen Mary piano in the Chart Room pub.

Do take a book.

Pack mix and match separates so you don't have to fret about formal/dressy nights. No one cares anyway. If they do, it's their problem, and most likely you will never see them again.

Have fun.

Jane in PHL

The best advice I could give is to ignore the previous post. :rolleyes:

Cunard IS dressier than most lines, although you're welcome to ignore the suggested dress code. You may, however, be denied entry into the dining room, especially one of the grilles. And why anyone would want to start off on a cruise with the attitude that they're going to intentionally ignore the dress code and possibly offend other passengers is beyond me. Do you need the crown jewels and a floor length ball gown or white tie and tails? No. Might you fit in better with dressier clothing? Probably. If it's going to make you argumentative and defensive to wear casual cloting as the previous poster seems to be, why not just pack what is requested, and leave the stress of confrontation to others. After all, we ARE on a cruise to enjoy it:) , not to fight about the line's policies and recommendations.

Do take a book.

Pack mix and match separates so you don't have to fret about formal/dressy nights. No one cares anyway. If they do, it's their problem, and most likely you will never see them again.

Have fun.

Jane in PHL

Dear Jane in PHL,

I may not have completely understood your post, as I am no expert on how ladies best meet Cunard's request that ladies wear Evening gown or other formal attire.' and if 'mix and match separates' accomplish that, then marvellous.

However, I fear I cannot agree with the sentiment that 'No one cares anyway. If they do, it's their problem' as I would suggest that other people will care, and by ignoring a dress code you are not respecting them, effectively being rude, and if so, thats your problem, not theirs.

A little manners can go a long way.

As I say, perhaps I misunderstood your post, but one of the things that sets Cunard apart from other lines is the passengers and how they behave. If you don't want to 'join the party' do feel free to sail on other lines.

I am sorry that I was misunderstood. In no way did I mean to suggest not to get dressed up or to ignore the dress codes. I meant that one long black dress and several fancy jackets and/or shawls will suffice and save some room. Then, said dressy jackets can be paired with black slacks for other less formal evenings. One pair of dressy pumps also seems to be enough. I also meant that one's dinner companions shouldn't be offended if an outfit appears twice in one cruise.

I usually cruise Seabourn and we dress up all the time. On a recent QM2 cruise, I was in the Princess Grill. Heck, I even pulled out the diamonds from the safe. I meant merely that one can have a variety of outfits with mixing and matching and save room in the suitcase for souveniers.

Also, at least on the QM2 I found the room service quite inadequate (although understandable because of the size of the ship) and would never consider it for a dinner option.

I suppose my suggestion to bring a book was acceptable?

Jane in PHL

Jane in PHL,

My apologies for assuming your intent. The boards, as you know, are constantly inundated with posters who question the need for any clothing other than jeans and tank tops, so, in my zeal to defend minimum standards, I overreacted to what I thought was your intent. I am truly sorry, and thank you for posting so civil a response, given that we 'ganged up' on you.

What you describe is not unlike my advice for gentlemen who are worried about the amount of clothing required for longer cruises: Blue Blazers and flannels with different colorful ties look like different outfits on informal nights.

And you are correct that I wouldn't give much thought as to whether people saw me in the same outfit twice on a cruise, as it has yet to happen:D .

As to your question about the book advice, I suppose that depends on the book.;)

Again, my apologies. Happy cruising.

Andrew

I am sorry that I was misunderstood. In no way did I mean to suggest not to get dressed up or to ignore the dress codes. I meant that one long black dress and several fancy jackets and/or shawls will suffice and save some room. Then, said dressy jackets can be paired with black slacks for other less formal evenings. One pair of dressy pumps also seems to be enough.

I suppose my suggestion to bring a book was acceptable?

Jane in PHL

Dear Jane,

It sounds as though we are in violent agreement and you are offering excellent advice!:)

That said, I've often brought books, and never got round to reading them, as there is so much else to do!;)

Happy sailing.

Peter

I am a person who normally hates to get dressed up, but I find the formal evenings on QE2 part of the unique experience.

I take a pair of black slinky pants and two or three "sparkly" formal jackets or tops to mix and match. A similar black floor length skirt would also mix and match well. I also have a pair of silver and gold sandals that have a small heel and go with anything, besides not taking up much space.

I think that is what may have been meant by mix and match.

Anyway, it is lovely to have everyone, even children, dressed in tuxes and formal wear, all cozy inside on a chilly moonlit ocean evening.

Thanks for your tips.

I am fairly aware of the dress code, and don't mind dressing up for dinner at all. I like the fact that Cunard have stuck by their traditions. I have a couple of casual suits and will be buying a tux soon.

At least by dressing up, dinner is going to feel like more of a special occasion and not just another meal. The reason I chose the QE2 for my first cruise is because of the history, the prestige and traditions etc. And also because she obviously hasn't got many years left of service. It will be nice to say that I have had the experience.

>"As to your question about the book advice, I suppose that depends on the book.;) "

That's for sure! I brought what ended up being the most boring book from hell and I finally dropped it anonymously into the Library return slot and found some great substitutions!

Jane in PHL (kept fearing being paged and summoned post haste to the Library to re-claim my book)

You're right. It's a great experience, and there's a lot of history involved. There are some great books out there on Ocean Liner history- both Bill Miller and John Maxtone-Graham have written several. Bill Miller's tend more to the picture book format, and Mr. Maxtone-Graham's are more prose, but both equally fascinating as "preparation" for a trip on the QE2.

Our favorite activity is sitting just outside the Chart Room before dinner watching the ocean slide by-

Enjoy.

The favorite thing I did on our crossing on the QE2 was to sit on the deck in one of the comfy chairs, smell the ocean and think of all the different people who for years had walked her decks.(okay it is probably not the original decks ;-) All from different counties, backgrounds and social status, then stricking up a conversation with some new freinds as we sailed across the atlantic. May sound boring, but I think of that often.

Realized that the question of the OP got hijacked by the fashion police (me being the biggest offender:o )

Things that I like about QE2:

The Thalassotherapy pool in the spa is great! It's complimentary with any spa service, but you can also buy a pass for the cruise. The hot rock massage is also wonderful.

The previously mentioned Chart room is always a pleasant place to meet, either before lunch or dinner, for a drink.

Spend my late evenings in the Yacht Club, and enjoy the dancing, although the DJ was often better recieved than the live band.

We walk on the decks every day, enough laps to keep the waist form expanding too much. A nice touch is the water they put out for walkers.

We actually stop and play board games, read books and play ping pong- haven't done that in years, on a ship or otherwise.

We enjoyed the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts crew, mostly as observers, rather than participating in their workshops, and got a kick out of the entertainment staff and their "sing-a-long...." shows.

Tea is lovely - last time was with two violinists- quite nice.

Meals are a highlight- we never eat anywhere but our dining room, and the food is wonderful. Really looking forward to that again.

The library and book shop are great- best source of ocean liner memorabilia!

The Princess Bar was a little find- great for a quiet drink away from the crowds.

But I think the true highlight the last time was the passenger mix, and that, as a crossing, we got to spend so much uninterupted time on the ship with our fellow passengers. We haven't sailed on the QM2 yet, and are doing a QE2 cruise in May, so the feeling may be a little different than a crossing. This past Fall we did a "transatlantic cruise" on a Celebrity Ship for 13 days. It was wonderful, but there were so many special things on the QE2 that I'm glad we get to do both lines this year, and revisit QE2 before....things change.

One of my favourite things on the QE2 is to trace the remains of her original three class design. A bit of history - as originally laid down the QE2 was to have 3 classes - Cabin, Tourist and Third. During construction it was decided that the standards required by the new 'Third' class market - like en-suite facilities - made the intermediate Tourist class redundant, so the upper decks were configured for two classes, 'First' and 'Transatlantic' not three - the biggest single change being combining the Upper Deck Tourist Class lounge with the Boat Deck's third class lounge to form today's Grand Lounge (First Class was on Quarter deck, Tourist on Upper, Third on Boat - the higher the deck, the less comfortable the ride on a stormy Atlantic).

So, what remains today? The main differences are between the as completed Upper Deck (for the Lower Classes) Transatlantic Class and Quarter Deck First Class - Quarter Deck has the Chart Room, Upper Deck the Golden Lion Pub - any difference in the ambience, 35 years on? Much of the rest has been changed in the QE2's multiple face lifts over the years.

However, for the keen archeologist, there is the 'Tale of 3 stair towers'. The decision to go two class was taken only after the stair towers & lift shafts had been put in - so these still tell a tale of 3 classes.

The forward 'A staircase is the original Third Class one - several clues - its the most utilitarian, and it does not open onto either One or Quarter Decks. It also opens off a small lobby on two deck, where the computer centre now is - originally this area was to have a Pursers desk etc for third class passengers.

Now walk along Two deck to the Midships Lobby - the original Cabin (First) Class entrance - much grander - as is the D staircase immediately behind it - the original Cabin (First) Class one. Also the lifts on this stair tower do not go down to 4 or 5 decks - why should they - no Cabin Class Cabins down there. As you walk up this staircase note the wall across the middle on Upper Deck - so this staircase could be separated from Upper Deck (Transatlantic Class) passengers as First Class continued to use the Theatre Balcony on Boat Deck

Finally, walk aft on two deck (Past E staircase/lifts - useful to remember on this maze of a ship as its 'E for Everywhere' the only stair tower that connects all decks between 5 and Boat deck) to the G staircase - and another 'useless' lobby by the Safe Deposit Centre - this would have been the Tourist class entrance - and the moderately grand G stair tower - whose lifts only go as high as Upper Deck - no need to go to Boat Deck, as that was for Third Class......

So, traces of the class configuration of 40 years ago are still discernible - and help to make sense of the ostensibly bizarre differences in design of stair towers.

Enjoy exploring!

Peter

I had only two formal outfits, and reused each, so they appeared twice.

It was no problem, as most people do not take 4 formal outfits.

I had two bathing suits, so one could dry every other day.

2 casual carribian joe type shorts outfits, one pair of long pants, one night gown, one wind breaker jacket, two heavy duty hiking type shorts,

and appropriate shoes.

Also a travel mug, some bungee cords to prop the door open, and bundle the suit cases, a digital camera, toiletries, and thats about all. It was all I needed.

Also, a collapsible bag to carry soveniers home.

Beth

:)

When QE2 did Atlantic crossing the deck loungers on Sun deck could be reserved for a small charge for the entire crossing. The deck steward would put you name on a luggage tag and attach it to your chosen chair. This is practise is a tradition on Atlantic liners. It was nice as you have the same spot all week and get to know your neighbours. The deck steward would also bring you blankets and the necessary hot drinks. If the weather was particularly good, waiters would serve you afternoon tea at your chair, including sandwiches, cakes and scones.

This system only applied to Sun deck, on all other decks including the promenade the chairs were free and unreserved. On crossing there would never be a shortage of chairs.

I believe since QE2 no longer regularly crosses and Sun deck has been revamped the practise has stopped. All chairs are now free and unreserved.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Thanks everyone. You really are a helpful bunch.

Another question that has popped into my head, are you allowed to visit the bridge? If so, do you have to ask someone or apply somewhere? I have heard that you can visit the kitchens and other areas on the ship.

Does anyone know if this is still the case, or has any of this stopped due to any heightened security measures?

Most of that seems to have stopped due to security. Even so I think it would only be for many time repeat cruisers or Very VIP's. Now maybe if you know the captain or something, or VVVIP's? :) I think much of that is gone to security.

-Brian

Archived