Trip Insurance ?s when booking really early

I asked on here previously about trip insurance and tried doing a dummy quote on a Breeze Cruise for next summer. I haven't booked yet, but it looks like my options are very limited because it is over a year away. I don't think any of the trip cancellation ones are valid. I live in Canada so that probably decreases my options as does the fact that the cruise is in Europe.

Do you book and wait to get insurance closer to date of travel. Also do you include expected cost of airfare and other hotels and stuff in there. I would assume for the deposit number it would just be the $500 per person as I would be getting plane tickets earlier. We have some pre-existing issues but nothing that should cancel the trip, but would want to book coverage where that wasn't an issue. Thanks

I have pre existing conditions that most likely wouldn't make me cancel but if I got sick on the cruise it would affect that they would not pay if it was any way related to my illness. I buy my travel insurance either within the time frame to waive pre existing conditions or I buy CSA Travel Pro Freestyle Lux which waives pre existing conditions if purchased before final payment

I asked on here previously about trip insurance and tried doing a dummy quote on a Breeze Cruise for next summer. I haven't booked yet, but it looks like my options are very limited because it is over a year away. I don't think any of the trip cancellation ones are valid. I live in Canada so that probably decreases my options as does the fact that the cruise is in Europe.

Do you book and wait to get insurance closer to date of travel. Also do you include expected cost of airfare and other hotels and stuff in there. I would assume for the deposit number it would just be the $500 per person as I would be getting plane tickets earlier. We have some pre-existing issues but nothing that should cancel the trip, but would want to book coverage where that wasn't an issue. Thanks

Assuming that you're purchasing the popular companies like TravelEx, TravelInsured, TravelGuard, CSA, etc., you really need to purchase the Insurance within 14-21 days (depending on which Insurance Company) of your initial Cruise Deposit to get "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" such that pre-existing conditions are not an issue (or, as Pat said, you can purchase somewhat pricey CSA up to Final Payment and get the Waiver). You can include the Airfare cost at time of purchase or add it later when you book airfare. ken

I could be wrong, but our November cruise last year we booked Health Insurance just before our trip, and were fine...if I wanted to book Trip Cancellation Ins. I think we had 48 hours from our time of booking to book that. We booked through CAA....

I always book insurance within the 14 or so days allowed from initial deposit to cover pre-existing conditions. But anything more than 365 days out does cut off some of your options. Waiting until you are less than a year out opens things up a bit. If you look at insuremytrip.ca (the canadian version of insuremytrip.com) you can see what plans are available now and which would open up for you at 364 days out (scroll down the results page)

As for including hotels and airfare, I include them if they are nonrefundable, which pretty much means always for airfare and not usually for hotels as it is unusual for me to pre-pay a hotel or use a site like priceline (which is nonrefundable)

I insure for the price of the cruise and when I purchase non-refundable air I then add that cost onto the insurance.

That's what we do too. They will adjust the price of the insurance if necessary.

Archived