Looking for 2011 Spirit Alaska review

happylady

Hoping someone just off the Spirit will post a review.

I am anxiously waiting for a review, too. I am booked on the first Alaska cruise of the 2012 season (so long to wait) and I have many questions for those just returning today. Hope you all had a great time ... We would love to see your pics and hear your tales!:)

I am a first time cruiser and just got back from the first Carnival Spirit tour through Alaska. I don't have time to write a full review right now but I will say what a GREAT cruise. It was a 6 day cruise that was inside passage stopping at Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. The fun part about being the first to cruise was that the ports were excited to see us coming. We were the only ship at most ports.

We stayed in the Pan Pacifica in vancouver before leaving. Would highly recommend. The hotel took our luggage to the cruise ship for us. Nice perk. We had a room overlooking the harbour and mountains. A great way to start the vacation. Seemed a lot of the CC group took a train from Seattle. I wanted to get into Vancouver the day before since I had never cruised. They made it just fine and had a good group riding the train.

We had anytime dining. I would recommend it. We could eat in the MDR anytime. We had to wait just once and by the time we got a pager and a drink from the bar, our table was ready.

The main difference was if you are going to be in port on Sunday - Carnival says you can't book excursions in Ketchikan (due to rules by Ketcikan) but that wasn't true. Ketchikan was selling tours.

The weather was as expected, rain, fog and cold. But just layer up and you'll be good. I took gloves and my coat. I was glad I did. We enjoyed hanging out on the balcony.

Naturalist Michelle was onboard and continued to give you updates on wildlife that may be around. We got some good pictures of some whales, sea lions, and bald eagles. These were all taken from the ship.

We had a great steward "Conrade". We tipped him extra because he was really good. I learned so much from CC. I would suggest just reading the different links regarding Alaska ports. Packing was the hardest since your winter clothes are harder to pack than summer clothes. My DH and I both took hiking boots and it was good but not needed. Tennis shoes would have been fine for the ports.

Have fun! I am ready to go again!!

I am a first time cruiser and just got back from the first Carnival Spirit tour through Alaska. I don't have time to write a full review right now but I will say what a GREAT cruise. It was a 6 day cruise that was inside passage stopping at Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. The fun part about being the first to cruise was that the ports were excited to see us coming. We were the only ship at most ports.

We stayed in the Pan Pacifica in vancouver before leaving. Would highly recommend. The hotel took our luggage to the cruise ship for us. Nice perk. We had a room overlooking the harbour and mountains. A great way to start the vacation. Seemed a lot of the CC group took a train from Seattle. I wanted to get into Vancouver the day before since I had never cruised. They made it just fine and had a good group riding the train.

We had anytime dining. I would recommend it. We could eat in the MDR anytime. We had to wait just once and by the time we got a pager and a drink from the bar, our table was ready.

The main difference was if you are going to be in port on Sunday - Carnival says you can't book excursions in Ketchikan (due to rules by Ketcikan) but that wasn't true. Ketchikan was selling tours.

The weather was as expected, rain, fog and cold. But just layer up and you'll be good. I took gloves and my coat. I was glad I did. We enjoyed hanging out on the balcony.

Naturalist Michelle was onboard and continued to give you updates on wildlife that may be around. We got some good pictures of some whales, sea lions, and bald eagles. These were all taken from the ship.

We had a great steward "Conrade". We tipped him extra because he was really good. I learned so much from CC. I would suggest just reading the different links regarding Alaska ports. Packing was the hardest since your winter clothes are harder to pack than summer clothes. My DH and I both took hiking boots and it was good but not needed. Tennis shoes would have been fine for the ports.

Have fun! I am ready to go again!!

Awesome thanks so much!

We also just returned from the Spirit. It was fantastic. I feel like my brain can't absorb all that I saw.

This was our 13th cruise but our first time from the West Coast. We fly out of RDU and it was much cheaper to fly into Seattle and the take Amtrak to Vancouver. We stayed at the Silver Cloud Stadium hotel which is across from Safeco field and YES DH did go to the ballgame. I opted to grab a sandwich and take a shower and check my e-mail. Hotel was beautiful and very convenient to Amtrak. The train trip is very scenic and I would suggest Business Class for anyone sailing from Vancouver because it was worth the little extra.

Cab to the pier was $10 but when we arrived it was rather chaotic. Instead of the stevedores in Miami that everyone complains about, we had a group of nasty Canadians who were too busy fighting among themselves to take our baggage. After about a 20 minute wait they finally got back to work and we were into the terminal. If you are Platinum they will convince you (or try) that there is no Priority line, but we found it. We were on the ship just about 1:30 and went to get some lunch. It was busy but not crazy and then we went to our room. We had an 8E (8250) and it was a typical balcony room. During the week we realized what we did miss was slamming balcony doors! Everyone is fairly considerate about that.

In Juneau we took the city blue bus out to the Mendenhall glacier and then just walked around town. We found Juneau to be a little seedy and since we were in town until 11pm we just went back to the ship and had dinner.

In Skagway we took the WP&Y Railway trip to Carcross and loved it. It was warm and sunny and we loved the lunch. Terry was our driver and he was great. The scenery is breathtaking but since it was so early most of the lakes were still frozen but still pretty.

In Ketchikan we took the bus to Totem Bight and it was very interesting. It is not a whole day trip so we had some time for shopping too! We had a little shower but not what I would call rain.

We did anytime dining and never had to wait. Several nights we did eat at the buffet because we were tired. Not many people got very dressed up and this was fine for us.

We used luggage express for the first time and it was fantastic! Well worth the money. I'll post a few pics here and if anyone has any questions I'll be glad to answer anything I can.

Oh Michelle the Naturalist is a gem. She has the calmest most interesting voice you can't wait for her to come on the loudspeaker!

1181130600_Alaska055.jpg.44fb7c290f173c1b7370f8701535b50b.jpg

2057219240_Alaska319.jpg.480d5ed8dfc508e8cf6a5bb325bedd5a.jpg

1905809852_Alaska058.jpg.5bd0fd1233957f8e4aa08e4ab2060e40.jpg

688125484_Alaska072.jpg.43439632a6154963fce9f81c5e38ebfb.jpg

1002547825_Alaska116.jpg.2af3e49a0b1ececef500a3146f81662f.jpg

We also just returned from the Spirit. It was fantastic. I feel like my brain can't absorb all that I saw.

This was our 13th cruise but our first time from the West Coast. We fly out of RDU and it was much cheaper to fly into Seattle and the take Amtrak to Vancouver. We stayed at the Silver Cloud Stadium hotel which is across from Safeco field and YES DH did go to the ballgame. I opted to grab a sandwich and take a shower and check my e-mail. Hotel was beautiful and very convenient to Amtrak. The train trip is very scenic and I would suggest Business Class for anyone sailing from Vancouver because it was worth the little extra.

Cab to the pier was $10 but when we arrived it was rather chaotic. Instead of the stevedores in Miami that everyone complains about, we had a group of nasty Canadians who were too busy fighting among themselves to take our baggage. After about a 20 minute wait they finally got back to work and we were into the terminal. If you are Platinum they will convince you (or try) that there is no Priority line, but we found it. We were on the ship just about 1:30 and went to get some lunch. It was busy but not crazy and then we went to our room. We had an 8E (8250) and it was a typical balcony room. During the week we realized what we did miss was slamming balcony doors! Everyone is fairly considerate about that.

In Juneau we took the city blue bus out to the Mendenhall glacier and then just walked around town. We found Juneau to be a little seedy and since we were in town until 11pm we just went back to the ship and had dinner.

In Skagway we took the WP&Y Railway trip to Carcross and loved it. It was warm and sunny and we loved the lunch. Terry was our driver and he was great. The scenery is breathtaking but since it was so early most of the lakes were still frozen but still pretty.

In Ketchikan we took the bus to Totem Bight and it was very interesting. It is not a whole day trip so we had some time for shopping too! We had a little shower but not what I would call rain.

We did anytime dining and never had to wait. Several nights we did eat at the buffet because we were tired. Not many people got very dressed up and this was fine for us.

We used luggage express for the first time and it was fantastic! Well worth the money. I'll post a few pics here and if anyone has any questions I'll be glad to answer anything I can.

We thought the baggage handlers were idiots in Vancouver! I couldnt believe they werent attacking us trying to take our luggage. They must get paid very well there! It was so unorganized there!

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned yesterday from a 7 day cruise on the Spirit. I can give you a short review. There were 4 couples traveling together and we had late seating even though we asked for early but had been waitlisted. We had our baconys opened so that we had a large viewing and party space. I cannot say enough good things about this cruise.

The food was great, the staff was great, our room stewart was second too none. We had room service in the mornings so that we could enjoy the scenery, very fast and efficient.

I was not thrilled with the Lido because of how disconnected it felt to get food but it was what it was and we learned to navigate it.

We had a wonderful naturalist, Michelle, she would tell us of wildlife that was up ahead instead of telling us as we passed it. She was terrific.

The only complaint we have is that on meet the captain night the drinks were not free. It just seemed odd. However, the past cruisers party made up for it. It would have been nice to stay longer in the ports, particularly Juneau and Ketchikan, and Victoria was kind of a waste, it was a holiday and nothing was open, but we did see the parliment building all lit up and the Empress Hotel.

I would be happy to answer any questions.

how was the attire at dinner time? I am reading conflicting things, some people are saying that they dont really dress up for dinner much even on the formal nights, yet on the CCL website its saying that jackets are required for entrance into the steakhouse. Is this true? We are hesitant to pack formal clothes if there are going to be many dress downers, yet we do want to try the steakhouse. any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, how did you pack? Mostly winter clothes? We are sailing on this ship in two weeks. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Some people dressed up for dinners, lots of suits and cocktail type clothes. The men in our group wore shirts and ties, no jackets. I don't know about the fine dining restaurant. The other days we wore jeans and nice tops to dinner, the guys did not dress up at all, it seemed to be the norm. All in all it was very casual. (Note: We were on Celebrity in Feb. and the guys had to wear jackets on formal nights and shirts with collars on the other nights with nice pants, no jeans).

You need some warm clothes, gloves and scarves. It is cold, we did not have much rain but it was cold. We had a balcony on the Port side and the sun was out in the afternoons, we sat out everyday. On the cruising Tracy Arm day, our steward gave us extra blankets, he was really a nice guy.

Any other questions?

On the cruising Tracy Arm day, our steward gave us extra blankets, he was really a nice guy.

Any other questions?

I'm so excited the season has started! :D

Questions about the Tracy Arm cruising day:

• Did you go on the small boat excursion? About what time did people board the small boat? And about what time did they get back on the ship, if you know. We have reservations for Chef's Table and it's that evening, so I'm a little concerned about being rushed.
  • What time did you enter the Arm?
  • Did you get close enough to see the glaciers?
  • Any wildlife as you cruised through the Arm?

Thank you so much!!

:D:D

We did not go on the Tracy Arm cruise, but people who did said it was spectacular because they go up close to the glaciers and saw lots of wildlife. It was about a 2.5 to 3 hour tour. We did see a lot of wild life throughout the cruise as the naturalist pointed it out.

This was our 4th cruise to Alaska, each one different and of course some same ports. Everyone of them have been spectacular.. We have been on Holland and Princess, this Carnival one was just as good, just that the ports were short, that is because we sailed out of Seattle which took and extra day to get to and from, but spectacular none the less.

We did not go on the Tracy Arm cruise, but people who did said it was spectacular because they go up close to the glaciers and saw lots of wildlife. It was about a 2.5 to 3 hour tour. We did see a lot of wild life throughout the cruise as the naturalist pointed it out.

This was our 4th cruise to Alaska, each one different and of course some same ports. Everyone of them have been spectacular.. We have been on Holland and Princess, this Carnival one was just as good, just that the ports were short, that is because we sailed out of Seattle which took and extra day to get to and from, but spectacular none the less.

Thank you for the info. Isn't Michelle fantastic? This is our third Alaska cruise on the Spirit, and I've so enjoyed her on each cruise. I'm just as excited about this one as I was about the other two. Well, maybe even more since this one is coming up soon! :D

Glad to hear you had such a great time!

I was on the first cruise of the season . It was great . We stayed two days in Vancouver before boarding . What a beautiful city . I was concerned about what to pack but all I needed was a raincoat , fleece or sweater which I usually shed , jeans & gloves . The dining room was the most casual I have ever seen even on Elegant night . I saw no tuxes , two gowns and very few cocktail dresses . It was mainly guys in pants & long sleeved shirts with or without ties and women in nice but not really dressy outfits . We went on a whale watch with Orca which was great and then to the Glacier and topped off the evening at The Red Dog Saloon . In Skagway we went with Duryea Dave into the Yukon . Gorgeous scenery and Dave is a hoot but the trip is long .It leaves no time for checking out the town . In Ketchikan we took the funicular to the lodge and then went to the Totem Center . We then shopped and went to Annabelle's (highly recommended )for chowder . We really enjoyed the ship except we found the lido confusing at lunch . The staions are eveywhere and no clearly marked .The Comedy Club was our favorite . If you have a chance to see Dean Austin go .

I was on the first cruise of the season . It was great . We stayed two days in Vancouver before boarding . What a beautiful city . I was concerned about what to pack but all I needed was a raincoat , fleece or sweater which I usually shed , jeans & gloves . The dining room was the most casual I have ever seen even on Elegant night . I saw no tuxes , two gowns and very few cocktail dresses . It was mainly guys in pants & long sleeved shirts with or without ties and women in nice but not really dressy outfits . We went on a whale watch with Orca which was great and then to the Glacier and topped off the evening at The Red Dog Saloon . In Skagway we went with Duryea Dave into the Yukon . Gorgeous scenery and Dave is a hoot but the trip is long .It leaves no time for checking out the town . In Ketchikan we took the funicular to the lodge and then went to the Totem Center . We then shopped and went to Annabelle's (highly recommended )for chowder . We really enjoyed the ship except we found the lido confusing at lunch . The staions are eveywhere and no clearly marked .The Comedy Club was our favorite . If you have a chance to see Dean Austin go .

Thanks for the review, if you don't mind where did you stay in Vancouver?

Thanks for the review, if you don't mind where did you stay in Vancouver?

We stayed at the Inn at false Creek . The rooms were nice & very clean . Room service was excellent and not too expensive . The on & off trolley went from this spot and it was a short cab ride to the pier . Lots of restaurants nearby .

Just got off the Spirit this morning. :(

I just wanted to mention to future cruisers about dining the last night as your approach Victoria. EVERYONE wants to get off the ship as soon as possible. We had anytime dining and we arrived to the dining room about 6:15, but had a 45 minute wait. We did eat in record time and the wait staff seemed to speed things up so those that wanted to visit the city could. They even started late dining earlier than normal.

When I return home in a few days, I'll post more.

Just got off the Spirit this morning. :(

I just wanted to mention to future cruisers about dining the last night as your approach Victoria. EVERYONE wants to get off the ship as soon as possible. We had anytime dining and we arrived to the dining room about 6:15, but had a 45 minute wait. We did eat in record time and the wait staff seemed to speed things up so those that wanted to visit the city could. They even started late dining earlier than normal.

When I return home in a few days, I'll post more.

Good to know. Thank you! We have YTD, too, so we'll make sure to go earlier than usual.

Can't wait to hear more about your cruise! Hope you had a great time!

:D

Archived