PG -- March 19

matt1966

Well, we are leaving in about 3 days for our first South Pacific cruise. Any last minute tips, suggestions, etc.? Apparently, nobody from this site is going on this particular sailing. Oh well -- based on all of the previous threads, it looks like we are in for the treat of a lifetime.

You'r going to have a Great time, I was on the PG for 14 days November/December of last year. The Motu Mahana on Taha'a is great, they prepared a great grilled buffet lunch on the motu, beach massages and free cocktails run freely. Be sure to post a review when you get back

Happy Crusing

Mike

matt1966, do you have room for an inexpensive inflatable float? You'll enjoy it on the motus and you can just throw it away rather than bring it home. Bring just about everything you think you need (esp sunblock) as shopping in French Polynesia can be hit or miss. Also, make your reservations for Apicius as soon as you get on board. The last suggestion I'd make is to bring two pairs of water shoes, so that you always have a dry pair. Other than that, just relax and be ready for the trip of a lifetime!!

My husband and I so enjoyed our two weeks on the PG last year that we are going back for the Marquesas cruise this November. I can hardly wait.

Bon voyage!

MarnaLou

Oh you're going to have a great time! Enjoy yourself to the full, go to lots of the ship-board events and parties, do the motus.

For breakfast and lunch, I love the Grill. But it can be pretty warm at this time of year, so there's always an air-conditioned alternative.

Take lots of sunscreen!

Are you doing a pre-cruise at all, or breaking your trip?

No pre-cruise as such, but we are breaking up the trip a little bit. We are flying to Los Angeles on Thursday night and spending the night there. Then flying to Tahiti on Friday night and spending the night there before beginning the cruise on Saturday. We've packed plenty of sunscreen, cheap inflatable rafts, bug spray, and other stuff suggested on these boards.

One last minute question though -- how much cash do you think we'll need? I'd prefer to pay for most stuff by credit card, so I'm just wondering, realistically, do we need a lot of cash? I'm thinking around $500. Too much? Too little?

No pre-cruise as such, but we are breaking up the trip a little bit. We are flying to Los Angeles on Thursday night and spending the night there. Then flying to Tahiti on Friday night and spending the night there before beginning the cruise on Saturday. We've packed plenty of sunscreen, cheap inflatable rafts, bug spray, and other stuff suggested on these boards.

One last minute question though -- how much cash do you think we'll need? I'd prefer to pay for most stuff by credit card, so I'm just wondering, realistically, do we need a lot of cash? I'm thinking around $500. Too much? Too little?

Make sure you exchange to the local curancy. The ship runs out and a lot and most of the local vendors do not take US dollars and do not take credit cards. We found we lost out of some of the things we would have liked to buy, or had to borrow from others. $500.00 will not buy much in Tahiti. and like I say, in most places US dollars are no good.

All the high end stores will take your CC, but the best buys are from the locals and you need their money.

Have a great time

Mike

Matt, well if you haven't left yet, you can get local currency at the airport on arrival. There's a "change" that opens just for air arrivals. Get a couple of hundred dollars, that should be enough. If you run out, there are ATMs in various places on the islands. Small purchases can include vanilla beans, oils, soaps, pareos, shell jewellery. But they usually take dollars and euros too.

Archived