Millie 3//6/2005 - I Was Given A Tongue Lashing By a CHAIR HOG!!!

tuggers

Just thought I would add that on one of our cruises we encountered a cruise critic and her crowd who hogged whole areas every day. She would place towels on groups of pool chairs and take big blocks of seats in the theater. Her group would come and go all day with someone always there to ward off anyone from sitting in the vacant seats. I have found that what people say on these boards and what they do when they are cruising are two different things. When I "met her eye" she would look sheepishly away because she knew what I was thinking.

Seagulls, That's really a shame that someone who actually reads the CC boards would do that. I've read that only about 2% of the people who cruise actually read CC which actually gives them an excuse because just maybe they aren't aware of the hopes and complaints of others. Too bad. :cool:

Now here is the Biggie

I was sitting at one of the tables at the back talking with a friend. I happened to look down and obviously someone had been sitting in my chair clipping their toenails. Seeing that was worse than any chairhog I've seen. :eek:

Wow! Sounds like a fool proof hog method. Will have to remember that one. LOL

Your right about it being a shame that not all passengers read CC. A lot of chair hogging on the last Millie trip. On the second sea day, I gave up. Yes, I'm confessing. I chair hogged. You had to if wanted two chairs together. Went out at eight (most pool side chairs were already hogged by then) to hog chairs on the level above the pool for ten. I'm sorry but doing the right thing is too much of a pain. Last Zenith Cruise we took two chairs that had been hogged for three hrs. (I timed it) and got called a rude American. Now fights are breaking out. Seems easier to chair hog. If someone takes it....so be it. When in Rome......

Last Zenith Cruise we took two chairs that had been hogged for three hrs. (I timed it) and got called a rude American. Now fights are breaking out. Seems easier to chair hog. If someone takes it....so be it. When in Rome......

And therein lies the problem. Sigh.

ANyway, I hate true chair hogs too, but to me a chair hog is someone who comes up at 6 am, saved 8 chairs - comes back up again around 10 with 1 other person, and sits trying to save the 8 chair for hours, and maybe someone else joins them for 10 minutes. Some of you however seem to feel that people do not have the right to get up from their chair for any amount of time. I may have to go to the ladies room, maybe I have a massage scheduled, or I may want to go down to the dining room for lunch. Does this mean that you should remove my things from a chair because you slept until noon and want a chair?.

Okay, it's becoming clearer now. There are TWO types of chairhogs.... the ones who get up at 6 a.m. and save eight chairs, and the ones who just hog two chairs while they leave for hours to have their massages and eat their meals and change clothes for these activities.

Oh yeah, and the one type of chair hog despises the other, and vice versa.

Yet, neither of the two types of chair hogs considers themselves a TRUE chair hog. It's the other one. Maybe we should have "true" chair hogs and "faux" chair hogs.

And, yes, Robin, when you've been gone for a lengthy period of time (more than 30 minutes) for your massages and your dining room meals, then people indeed should have the right to move your stuff.

Even if they committed the sin of sleeping until noon.

Allen

I say you rat out the poster on here that does that. How incredibly rude. If you are reading, yes you know who you are, and posted that you do not condone chair hogging then did it you should be deeply ashamed.

Of course I am the kind of horrible person who would actually waste valuable internet time by going and finding a post where she said she hated chair hogs, printing it out and putting one on every single chair.. If there is one thing I hate worse than a selfish chair hog (come on people, grow up.. use what you need when you need it, then let others have it) then it is a hypocrite. Yes we are all hypocrites at one time or another but this is beyond the pall.

Or maybe I would have walked right up to her, introduced myself and said "It is so good to see someone from the boards here. I espeically love your posts about chair hogging. Mind if I sit down?"...

A few years ago my wife and I were at the Westin Regina in P.V. Mexico and this crazy Women had tried to stake out claim to a beach Cabana by putting a hotel beach towel on a couple of chairs very early in the morning.There were signs every where saying that you could not do this.(Hotel Policy).About 11:00 AM she showed up and started ranting and raving how someone had stolen her cabana.She made a complete ass of her self screeming to anyone and everyone about this injustice.What a fool.

:pOK so I have this Idea for a hog-free trip.

Does anyone know the approx. chair count around the pool? Please let me know.

Heres the idea:

There is a "99" cent store near where I live, they carry small stuffed animals (piggies) for .99 each. So I'll reduce the X policy on chair hogging (that another poster listed here) and put 1 around the neck of each little piggy and leave one on each chair! All told it may cost me 50 bucks but the images I will capture with my camera each day should be worth it!

I think all chair hogs should be put in chains and fed bread and water for the rest of the cruise but I doubt that Celebrity would agree to do it.

Have a great next cruise except for chair hogs.

Tie them to the chairs that they covet so much! :D

I always tell the ever popular chair hogs " this can't be the chair that you saved, I brought this one from home"

Phil

I am serious:eek: - would Celebrity allow you to bring own your chair.:confused: I drive to the port and this would not be difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

Hogging chair is not the only problem around the pool. Blocking isles is the big issue for me.

Everyday the pool attendents arrange the deck chairs neatly and leave isles to walk down in safty and comfort. Shortly thereafter the chairs a all askue and the isles blocked by people who think they own the world.

Well I have to travel with a scooter and it seems that on the pool deck you must go though the pool area to get anywhere. Now comes my problem of driving past all the feet sticking out and the big butts blocking passage. It may be ok for nimble footed people but not for scooters and wheelchairs.

So I as , "are any of you anti hogger guilty of this?"

I have solved the problem for myself in the fact that I have several kids bike horns on my scooter and nothing I like more that honking it to announce to the world that another rude person exists.

To avoid chair hogs I go to the pool area before breakfast and then don't have to bother with the lazy souls that worship the sun.

To avoid chair hogs I go to the pool area before breakfast and then don't have to bother with the lazy souls that worship the sun.

Hmmmm. Rude people seem to be at all ends of this equation. Mobility and access for all are extremely important issues, but calling names to people who simply enjoy things that you don't seems unnecessary.

Hmmmm. Rude people seem to be at all ends of this equation. Mobility and access for all are extremely important issues, but calling names to people who simply enjoy things that you don't seems unnecessary.

Maybe you should read more carefully before you overreact. I called no names but I discribed a syndrome of lazy sun worshipers.

Maybe you should have to sit in some type of chair before you become so quick to call me rude for wanting to be able to transit the ship without fools blocking the way.

Maybe I hit a nerve and your one of the blockers.

I've been on ships where there were a lot of people in wheelchairs and using scooters, and I agree that many times it is difficult to maneuver through tight spaces. However, I have also been the intended subject of some of those honking horns when a simple "excuse me" would have sufficed. We all need to remember to be polite. I have had my toes run over by scooters going too fast for the conditions.

Karenlynne

For the record, I am very sun-sensitive, so, no, I am not one of the "blockers" that you refer to. I don't move chairs, and I am very aware access issues both on land and at sea. I also have a degenerative knee problem that sometimes impairs my mobility. If you read MY post carefully, you will see that I think that access for all is important, but I also think that calling someone lazy just because they sit and relax in the sun is RUDE. I don't even need to address you calling others "fools." I agree with the previous poster that simply by being differently-abled is no excuse to be rude.

While on the topic of rude people, I was on the 11-night Summit cruise (3/21) and had a wonderful time but witnessed some very rude people. I was outside enjoying the warm weather on one day in particular when this woman sitting nearby called over one of the female staff members of the ship. She proceeded to tell this girl (who turned out to be Canadian) that how she spoke english was improper and really just embarrassed this poor girl in front of many passengers. It was truly horrible to see someone so outwardly rude. People that do these things must have been taught nothing about manners as a child.

For the record, I am very sun-sensitive, so, no, I am not one of the "blockers" that you refer to. I don't move chairs, and I am very aware access issues both on land and at sea. I also have a degenerative knee problem that sometimes impairs my mobility. If you read MY post carefully, you will see that I think that access for all is important, but I also think that calling someone lazy just because they sit and relax in the sun is RUDE. I don't even need to address you calling others "fools." I agree with the previous poster that simply by being differently-abled is no excuse to be rude.

Right on Andrew!:)

So you think it is rude for me or others who have no choice but to be in chairs to expect the same rights of passage as others. Well it is my wish that you have to share our problem someday so you will change your mind.

We are also allowed opinions that people like you will never have the compassion to understand the plight of others. I do like the expression differently-abled I will use that in the future myself.

Strange that you would condem the mere act of saving a chair and condon the act of putting the chair out to block the passage of others. If the use of the words "lazy" and "fools" offend you too darn bad. Be glad this media does not permit you to hear the words I have used to discribe you. You missed out on some doosies.

I know that narrow minds that lack the experience will never change so have a good life.

So you think it is rude for me or others who have no choice but to be in chairs to expect the same rights of passage as others. Well it is my wish that you have to share our problem someday so you will change your mind.

We are also allowed opinions that people like you will never have the compassion to understand the plight of others. I do like the expression
differently-abled
I will use that in the future myself.

Strange that you would condem the mere act of saving a chair and condon the act of putting the chair out to block the passage of others. If the use of the words "lazy" and "fools" offend you too darn bad. Be glad this media does not permit you to hear the words I have used to discribe you. You missed out on some doosies.

I know that narrow minds that lack the experience will never change so have a good life.

I usually never get into a thread like this, but this quote really is something.

How can anyone wish someone else ill. I know all about getting around a ship in a wheelchair. My Mother used a transport chair on our cruise last year, and i was the one that wheeled her around. Yes, sometimes around the pool area it was difficult. But to carry on like a child about it, and to call people names. Wow! These "lazy fools" are enjoying their vacation that they worked hard to pay for. What gives you the right to call people you know nothing about names. I'm glad you name the cruises you're on, I'll make sure to avoid them with or without my Mother.

Hope you have a good life as well.

Mari.

Mari, thank you for your post. I, too thought the same thing about the list of cruises, and the fact that I now know to avoid them. :rolleyes:

It's sad when someone is so invested in being right that they can't see that we're actuallly all on the same page as far as disability issues and access, but that we take exception to name calling. I don't condone blocking access, but I do expect civil behavior, even in the face of the likes of this poster! Enjoy your cruises, and know that the only words I have for him are "Karma- it'll get you every time!":D

Hi BlazerBoy,

Since that was jukeboxy's last response, we hopefully won't have to hear the likes of him for awhile.

How's my City By The Bay Doing? Lived in the Marina District for many years before moving to Nashville 5 years ago. Hope to be back in SF for the Bay to Breakers next month.

Loved your Karma response. It would be interesting if we saw ourselves as others do.

Mari

Archived