Best hotel/area to stay in Hollywood??

rene194215

We are flying in on Sat and the cruise leaves on Monday. We want to get a hotel for 2 nights that is close to the walk of fame, Chinese theater and other attractions. We really do not want to rent a car, figure we can take other modes of transportation and such. What area is the best to stay? I was looking at the Days Inn Hollywood. Suggestions?? Comments?? My friend was looking at a hotel named STAY but it seems pretty far out....

Thanks!

Renee

We are flying in on Sat and the cruise leaves on Monday. We want to get a hotel for 2 nights that is close to the walk of fame, Chinese theater and other attractions. We really do not want to rent a car, figure we can take other modes of transportation and such. What area is the best to stay? I was looking at the Days Inn Hollywood. Suggestions?? Comments?? My friend was looking at a hotel named STAY but it seems pretty far out....

Thanks!

Renee

Hi Renee!

The Hollywood Renaissance is right there next to Hollywood & Highland, the Kodak Theater, Walk of Fame, Grauman's Chinese Theater, El Capitan Theater and the Metro! You can catch the Red Line Metro to go to Universal ... only one stop.

The famed Roosevelt Hotel is right in that same area/block.

There is also a Holiday Inn Express on Highland Ave which is just a couple of blocks north of Hollywood Blvd and walkable.

If you want to stay in the Universal area, there is the Beverly Garland, and the Universal Hilton and Universal Sheraton (the last two are on property of Universal Studios). From those hotels you could take the Red Line Metro 1 stop to Hollywood and Highland.

Hope this helps!

Denice

Thanks!

Renee

To add a bit here:

First know that "Hollywood" (as opposed to West Hollywood, Universal City and other nearby areas) can be a bit seedy...It is an older section with a lot of "street people" of various sorts...Locals may feel at ease in many areas of Hollywood, but it can be a bit off-putting to visitors.

IMHO, the "best" hotel in Hollywood is the Renaissance at Hollywood and Highland. Location-wise, it is right in the same complex as Grauman's Chinese, the Kodak Theater and numerous upscale shops and restaurants...The Walk of Fame goes right past the front of the complex along Hollywood Boulevard...There is a Metro Station directly underneath...Plus the hotel is one of the newer, most modern, most upscale in the area...

There are two very nice, very old traditional hotels in Hollywood--the Roosevelt--about a block away ion the other side of Hollywood Blvd.--and the Chateau Marmont--at about Sunset and Crescent Heights, really between Hollywood and West Hollywood...the Marmont would not be as convenient for you without a car...

There are a couple of smaller, far less upscale hotels in the area BEHIND the Chinese Theater:

http://www.orchidsuites.com/

http://www.hotelcelebrity.com/

I have not stayed in these, but the area is decent and they do put you within short, fairly safe walk of Grauman's/Kodak/Walk of Fame, etc. for a far more reasonable price than the Renaissance or Roosevelt...

There is a Holiday Inn and a couple of smaller hotels a few blocks north of the complex on Highland...but, beware, Highland is one of the most trafficked streets in LA--24 hours a day...and an unusual assortment of street people seem to walk that section of Highland...at least whenever I pass by...

(The only Hollywood hotel I can vouch for from personal experience is the Renaissance)

There are some reasonable choices in West Hollywood (Sunset Plaza for one), but not perfect if you are without a car...

Universal City is a nice area to stay in...puts you near the studios, etc. ...and there is a Metro line that will take you from there directly to Hollywood and Highland...

There is a Hilton and a Sheraton right on the Universal property--both of which are very nice...

And, as has been mentioned, the Beverly Garland is "in the area"...Many here on Cruise Critic will stay at the Sportsmen's Lodge in Studio City (a favorite of my compadre, Curt Jerome Wild)...but, from there, you will need a taxi or shuttle to get to Hollywood or to the Universal Metro Station...

REALY BEWARE of looking for "bargains" in the Hollywood area--You just may find yourself in a very unseemly hotel in a very unseemly neeighborhood...

Good luck...

Thank you both for your replies! This has given me a great deal to think about! I did not realize that the area can be unsafe. I originally was looking at the Holiday Inn mentioned. I will have to keep in mind the location,,, As far as nighttime, is it fairly safe to use the red line? We really are trying to not have to take a rental due to not knowing the area and all. We figured that we could use taxis and public transport where ever we wanted to go. Plus we figured that we may be able to take a tour somewhere also... The homes of the stars and stuff... Now I am not sure this is possible from where we are thinking of staying but I come from a small town in CT and as I have been to NY before I am not fmailiar with big cities and how the best way to get around, let alone a city on the other side of the country! Any advise would be appreciated! I know I can look things up online but getting the information from those that have been and know is better to me!

Thanks again!

Thank you both for your replies! This has given me a great deal to think about! I did not realize that the area can be unsafe. I originally was looking at the Holiday Inn mentioned. I will have to keep in mind the location,,, As far as nighttime, is it fairly safe to use the red line? We really are trying to not have to take a rental due to not knowing the area and all. We figured that we could use taxis and public transport where ever we wanted to go. Plus we figured that we may be able to take a tour somewhere also... The homes of the stars and stuff... Now I am not sure this is possible from where we are thinking of staying but I come from a small town in CT and as I have been to NY before I am not fmailiar with big cities and how the best way to get around, let alone a city on the other side of the country! Any advise would be appreciated! I know I can look things up online but getting the information from those that have been and know is better to me!

Thanks again!

I don't know that it is necessarily "unsafe"...this is not the slums...the area "behind" where the Holiday Inn is is the Hollywood Hills--with multi-million dollar homes and the Hollywood Bowl and all...And Highland Avenue won't have any major crimes--it's got 24 hour security of lots of witnesses and passing cars! But, being a major thoroughfare (it's where the 101 Freeway sort of dumps out two lanes into Hollywood)...and due to the commercial businesses and traffic and all, it is where one might find some homeless folks, some drunks or drug addicts, some women of questionable character or some just plain strange looking people walking by at almost any hour...Same with a good stretch of Hollywood Blvd....and Sunset...Hollywood, or a good part of it, is just an OLD commercial area that shows its signs of wear...and, because of the name and the history and the glamor, has always attracted a lot of interesting cases--the teenage runaways, the wannabe actors and musicians, the poor artists, the panhandlers, the con men, etc...It does not bother a lot of people--it actually makes for a very interesting visit...Most of these people will not bother you...You just have to be careful (as with anywhere you visit) and you have to somehow appreciate all of the weirdness...

But, it does put off a lot of visitors...Many travellers feel more comfortable in shiny, clean, upscale surroundings...

Now, some areas of Hollywood have undergone redevelopment and renovation...the Hollywood and Highland complex being the prime example--one reason I recommend the Renaissance...It is sort of an upscale island amid the urban weirdness...

The Holiday Inn is not terrible...you just have to deal with the walk down to Hollywood Blvd.--and, for me, the traffic is scarier than the people...Cars come speeding down that offramp...

One of the reasons, if I was looking to avoid the higher rates at the Renaissance, I would be more tempted to go with one of those two smaller side street hotels I cited...

I believe the tour companies will pick you up at many hotels in Hollywood, Universal, or the West Side (Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Westwood, Century City) or LAX...From these hotels, they probably just have you meet at some location like Hollywood and Highland--since you don't need a "pick-up" to go two blocks...

There is also a Hop-on-Hop-off Bus tour that you can pick up right at Grauman's Chinese--at $35 per person it will take you all over town--including clear out to Santa Monica or to Downtown LA if you wanted to see that...It's goosd for 24 hours--som, this might be a good bet for you...

I really don't recommend our local public transportation for visitors--the system is really designed for getting people from the inner city to their jobs in the outlying areas or vice-versa...The Red Line is safe, though, even at night...Taxis in LA are a difficult proposition--there aren't as many of them compared to, say, NYC or San Francisco, and they don't just roam the streets looking for fares--you usually have to arrange for them--except at LAX or some major hotels where there are always some waiting...The bus system is massive and complicated and bus trips need to be well planned out--and most involve too many transfers and are time consuming...There are several "local" bus systems that serve limited parts of the metropolitan area--some (like Santa Monica's Big Blue Bus) are better than others--but, I really don't advise most tourists to depend on these...

Another tour to look into is Red Line Tours (redlinetours.com). They do a great walking tour of Hollywood, and of Downtown L.A. Their Hollywood location is just in front of the Egyptian Theater (about 2 blocks from the Hollywood & Highland complex) in the courtyard. Starline Tours is also good :)

Warner Bros has a great VIP studio tour, this is the one I'll take my out-of-town company on. There are no rides like Universal, you are actually taken through a working studio. And their small museum is very interesting. Warner Bros is in the San Fernando Valley, a couple of miles from Universal.

Enjoy!

Denice

Hi everyone! I appreciate everyones feedback but my friend and I were talking about the trip and he had some concerns about leaving our luggage at a hotel near Hollywood, would they take it etc. Also, we did not want to get stuck Monday morning making it from the Hollywood area to Long Beach... Soooo here is what we thought we might do..

We fly in on Sat am at around 930 am. I found a hotel in Long Beach that has a hotel shuttle for a nominal fee. And they will hold luggage. From there I figure we can explore that area and then here is the dilema. We still want to go to Hollywood on Sunday and was wondering the best way to get there. I did not relaize that Hollywood to Long beach is about 40 min out (plus traffic I am under the assumption) So I figure whatever time we get there we get there. We were going to do the tour from redline tours,(I think this is the one that has the 24 hour hop on hop off trolly or bus) and spend the day in Hollywood this way. Otherwise it seems to be too many logistics if we were to stay in Hollywood,.. After finding out that its 40 min I do not wan tot take the chance on Monday AM. I rather be closer to port then actually stay in Hollywood.

Thanks for everyones input!

Hi everyone! I appreciate everyones feedback but my friend and I were talking about the trip and he had some concerns about leaving our luggage at a hotel near Hollywood, would they take it etc. Also, we did not want to get stuck Monday morning making it from the Hollywood area to Long Beach... Soooo here is what we thought we might do..

We fly in on Sat am at around 930 am. I found a hotel in Long Beach that has a hotel shuttle for a nominal fee. And they will hold luggage. From there I figure we can explore that area and then here is the dilema. We still want to go to Hollywood on Sunday and was wondering the best way to get there. I did not relaize that Hollywood to Long beach is about 40 min out (plus traffic I am under the assumption) So I figure whatever time we get there we get there. We were going to do the tour from redline tours,(I think this is the one that has the 24 hour hop on hop off trolly or bus) and spend the day in Hollywood this way. Otherwise it seems to be too many logistics if we were to stay in Hollywood,.. After finding out that its 40 min I do not wan tot take the chance on Monday AM. I rather be closer to port then actually stay in Hollywood.

Thanks for everyones input!

First, what hotel did you "find" in Long Beach?

Long Beach is a BIG city in and of itself...a population of over half a million...and spread out over a wide area...there are good parts and bad parts...very convenient locations and very inconvenient locations...

For a cruising tourist, there is a very limited area and very limited choice of hotels I would stay at--especially if you are without a car...

Hyatt, Westin, Renaissance, Avia...This group is in the best part of Long Beach...close walking distance to everything...

Hilton, Maya Doubletree, Residence Inn downtown, Courtyard Downtown...This group is slightly less convenient but still in an excellent area, just a little longer walk or shuttle ride to a lot of the same places...

The area these hotels are in are serviced by a FREE local shuttle - the "Passport" which will take you all over the Downtown Convention Center area of Long Beach...

Other Long Beach hotels are either in a bad or seedy area or inconvenient to restaurants, tourist attractions ...and, especially, to the cruise terminal...

Don't "think" you found a bargain in Long Beach going out of this area...

As to tours, the Red Line will not pick you up in Long Beach...

The only tour company that does pickups at Long Beach hotels is Sunseeker Tours:

http://www.sunseekertours.us/

If you want to go with the Red Line, you need to somehow get to Hollywood on your own...This can be done taking the Metro Blue Line, switching to the Red Line in Downtown...That ride will take you straight through some of the worst neighborhoods of LA...It is relatively safe...just don't get off at the wrong stop...It will also be time consuming...I, personally don't recommend it...a taxi to Hollywood, round trip, will be quite expensive...

With your new plan, I would look to get one of my recommended hotels...and to hang around Long Beach Saturday after you've settled in (this is where you will really appreciate staying in the Convention Center area)...Visit the Aquarium or the Queen Mary...walk around Shoreline Village or the Pike...have dinner at Parker's Lighthouse or at one of the many restaurants at the Pike or up on Pine...Them on Sunday, have Sunseeker pick you up from your hotel and take you on a full day tour of the sights of Hollywood and LA...

Then get up Monday morning at your leisure and take a shuttle or cab to the pier...

If the prices at these hotels scare you (The Maya Doubletree has a cruise special rate...if you call and ask), then try Priceline--Downtown Long Beach area ONLY, 3 or more stars...

This will be, by far, your most convenient option...

Good luck...

Thanks Steve for the information! We are looking for a bit more economical choice but still want ot be safe! I am not sure if I looked at the hotels you mentioned so I will check them out. The hotel I found was the Best Western. I think there are 2 of them near the port. I have read guest reviews and they seem good. But not knowing the area its hard. If its anything like some areas of NYC then I would be fine... I have been in some interesting places there. Even in some of the local cities near where I live. But I will check out both the hotels and the tour company you have mentioned!

You are a wealth of information! Thank you!!!

Thanks Steve for the information! We are looking for a bit more economical choice but still want ot be safe! I am not sure if I looked at the hotels you mentioned so I will check them out. The hotel I found was the Best Western. I think there are 2 of them near the port. I have read guest reviews and they seem good. But not knowing the area its hard. If its anything like some areas of NYC then I would be fine... I have been in some interesting places there. Even in some of the local cities near where I live. But I will check out both the hotels and the tour company you have mentioned!

You are a wealth of information! Thank you!!!

The two Best Westerns in Long Beach are:

1) Best Western Convention Center, 517 East 1st Street...first and Linden...this is at the edge of the Convention Center area I spoke of...It's not a bad location, just a couple of blocks further of a walk to get to anything...there are just so many nicer hotels in the immediate area--and you can probably get one on Priceline for less than you'll pay here...But, all in all, it's not bad...

2) Best Western Long Beach, 1725 Long Beach Boulevard...Long Beach Blvd. and PCH...It's not that nice a motel and the area is pretty shoddy...You are miles away from anything you would want to see in Long Beach and the immediately surrounding area is sort of ugly...You've got a muffler repair shop immediately next door and a McDonalds and a KFC...car repair shops, tacky commercial, lots of traffic and noise...I would NOT stay here...

You will be stuck somewhere without a car...You are on VACATION...You should want to be in a nice, safe, clean area...where you will feel comfortable walking at night...where you can go to very enjoyable restaurants nearby...where you have the convenience of free local transportation, etc.

The City of Long Beach Redevelopment Department spent a great deal of money to upscale a very limited area of the city. The City also spends more money in this particular area on Police protections, sanitation, maintenance, etc. They brought in first class hotel and restaurant operators. They spend money on the Passport Shuttle. It is well worth staying in the RIGHT LOCATION. You will enjoy your visit far more. Your local transportation costs will be far less. Please trust me.

The Best Western Convention Center is "okay"...but, it is not necessarily the best deal or the best place to stay. Again, call the Maya and ask about special cruise rates...Or try the Priceline thing...People on here have been known to get the Hyatt or the Westin for $65 to $100 on Priceline...You may spend more than that at the Best Western...and you'll find yourself walking to the area around those hotels each day and thinking, Gee, why didn't we stay there!

Wow priceline is amazing! I took your advise and started to look at the hotels you mentioned, Hyatt, Westin. Both were pretty high, between 150-200 a night. Well I looked at priceline and looked at what "stars" each hotel was and price wise. Low and behold both of those are 3 and 1/2 and for name your own price it was the best value. So I put in a price that I thought was WAY low and guess what! We got the Westin for 2 nights for what you would pay for 1 through the Westin website!!! Thank you thank you for that suggestion.

So it looks pretty close to a lot of things so now it will come down to figuring out what to do. My friend and I like to walk and it looks like we will be able to do quite a few things from this hotel. :D:D

Wow priceline is amazing! I took your advise and started to look at the hotels you mentioned, Hyatt, Westin. Both were pretty high, between 150-200 a night. Well I looked at priceline and looked at what "stars" each hotel was and price wise. Low and behold both of those are 3 and 1/2 and for name your own price it was the best value. So I put in a price that I thought was WAY low and guess what! We got the Westin for 2 nights for what you would pay for 1 through the Westin website!!! Thank you thank you for that suggestion.

So it looks pretty close to a lot of things so now it will come down to figuring out what to do. My friend and I like to walk and it looks like we will be able to do quite a few things from this hotel. :D:D

GREAT!! I am so happy that worked out for you like that...

The Westin really is a VERY NICE hotel...several major steps above the Best Western motels...The location is outstanding...You are within a couple of short blocks to all sorts of restaurant choices...and nice areas for a stroll, to look at shops, etc.

You will feel like your vacation has already begun and that you are living high...and you are getting this at a rate less than you would have paid for an average motel here in the LA area...

Have fun...

Bruin Steve gave you great advice and the Westin is one of the best hotels in downtown Long Beach. Check into Sunseekers tours for a day tour of Hollywood and LA. Time is money, so you really don't want to take the blue line to the red line to Hollywood. As Bruin steve said, the blue line goes through some of the worst parts of LA. I think it is fairly safe IF you stay on the the metro. But--this probably isn't the part of Los Angeles you want to see. PLus--it is probably an hour PLUS as much of the blue line is a glorified bus--on the street with the traffic.

Lots of good restaurants right there in downtown. We especially like Cafe Sevilla, King's Fish, and George's Greek. You can also go down to a PF Changs, Gladstones, and some others near the shoreline. My kids like Auld Dubliner and the Sargeant Peppers for the dueling pianos.

Archived