Steakhouse question

LynnAnne

I understand what you're saying, but to call it a $3 bottle of wine is not accurate. You can't buy that bottle for $3. If you want to buy that bottle while cruising with Carnival its gonna cost you... $20 to $30.

Yes, but I DON'T want that bottle, that's the whole point. At the end of the day, no matter what the line says it's worth, it's a cheap bottle of pretty low quality wine, that's the reality. It is not much of a value, IMO, and would not sway me from what night I book in the Steakhouse. If it really is a $30 bottle, you think I could just skip it and get that $30 in cash from the Steakhouse staff?:) Now if they did THAT, I would go the first night.

um, hello, if you were to buy wine on board, would you purchase crap?

and you wouldn't feel ripped off getting charged $30 for a $3 bottle of wine the other nights? it is my impression they do not even sell this wine, it's so bad (could be wrong.....or heresay)

First of all, your statement calling it a $3 bottle of wine is meant to imply it is crap. Your intent is to denigrate Carnival for this. This is very unfair.

Let's assume you are correct that this wine is $3 wholesale.You say you are in the business so I will take your word for it - although I have my doubts. My search of the internet says that it sells for between $9.50 and $11.00 retail. That would make it on par with a Kendall Jackson Vintners Cab - $10.50 retail in most stores in this area. And it is very common to find KJ cab on restaurant wine lists for $30 a bottle. A three times mark up over retail is a pretty common markup in the industry. Therefore, calling this free bottle a $30 perk is absolutely appropriate. And assuming your wholesale number is correct, it is then very common to pay $30 in a restaurant for a bottle which you say wholesales for $3.

You say that it is your "impression" that the wine is so bad. So you have never tasted it? Your opinion then is worthless. I have tasted it. It is not bad. It is not what I would normally order in a high end steak house or even have with a good steak dinner at home. But it was enjoyable - and it was free. We actually finished the bottle with our first two courses and then had glasses of a nice Bordeaux with our steaks.

And don't repeat heresay. For your information, they do sell this wine in the regular dining room. This site is valuable when people talk from their own experience.

I usually don't react so strongly when someone posts this kind of nonsense. But this is the way rumors get started that hurt the reputation of a restaurant or a business. It is really irresponsible of the poster to say this when he admits he has no first hand experience on the subject.

First of all, your statement calling it a $3 bottle of wine is meant to imply it is crap. Your intent is to denigrate Carnival for this. This is very unfair.

Let's assume you are correct that this wine is $3 wholesale.You say you are in the business so I will take your word for it - although I have my doubts. My search of the internet says that it sells for between $9.50 and $11.00 retail. That would make it on par with a Kendall Jackson Vintners Cab - $10.50 retail in most stores in this area. And it is very common to find KJ cab on restaurant wine lists for $30 a bottle. A three times mark up over retail is a pretty common markup in the industry. Therefore, calling this free bottle a $30 perk is absolutely appropriate. And assuming your wholesale number is correct, it is then very common to pay $30 in a restaurant for a bottle which you say wholesales for $3.

You say that it is your "impression" that the wine is so bad. So you have never tasted it? Your opinion then is worthless. I have tasted it. It is not bad. It is not what I would normally order in a high end steak house or even have with a good steak dinner at home. But it was enjoyable - and it was free. We actually finished the bottle with our first two courses and then had glasses of a nice Bordeaux with our steaks.

And don't repeat heresay. For your information, they do sell this wine in the regular dining room. This site is valuable when people talk from their own experience.

I usually don't react so strongly when someone posts this kind of nonsense. But this is the way rumors get started that hurt the reputation of a restaurant or a business. It is really irresponsible of the poster to say this when he admits he has no first hand experience on the subject.

you should put your prognosticator talents to some good use. however you know not my intent.

my intent is to advise those that think this "freebie" is a good incentive to visit the steakhouse is not.

and yes, we taste taste everything that we intend on selling. a quick check of my db showed we passed on this product due to its inferiority. your tastebuds results do not match ours.

I think free wine is free wine...if you were going to visit the steakhouse anyway and want to drink the wine then why not book on Day 1. I'm not a wine snob though so I don't realy care and in fact, I would pass on the free wine - not because it was inferior or cheap but because I'm not a big wine drinker.

There is something to be said for getting something for nothing. $3 or $30 it's free people - if it's not a value to you - then don't accept it, go to the stekahouse another night or just don't go at all...but if it is a value to you then go.....enjoy.

you should put your prognosticator talents to some good use. however you know not my intent.

my intent is to advise those that think this "freebie" is a good incentive to visit the steakhouse is not.

and yes, we taste taste everything that we intend on selling. a quick check of my db showed we passed on this product due to its inferiority. your tastebuds results do not match ours.

I will agree with you on one thing....if the only reason you go to the steakhouse is to get a free bottle of wine and you are expecting it to be a high end wine, you will be disappointed.

But your statement calling this a $3 bottle of wine was misleading. Noone reading that statement would assume you meant it was the wholesale price -assuming that $3 is the wholesale cost. Why not quote the price it costs to make the wine at the winery? Surely if they are selling it wholesale at $3 it must have cost the winery less than that. Why not call it a $1.75 bottle of wine?

Or maybe the wine should be valued at nothing. Afterall: Galileo said: "Wine is sunlight, held together by water" and water and sunlight are free on a cruise.

Here are some facts, let's see if we can agree....

• Good, bad or indifferent, retailers are selling this wine at about $10 a bottle - agreed? (check the internet if you do not believe me)
  • And gouging or not, most restaurants will mark up a bottle 2 to 3 times. agreed? (this is a common industry practice).
  • The price of a bottle of Santa Carolina Cab on board the ship is $22 and it is available in the main dining room.It is also available for $5.75 a glass in many bars on board. Agreed? (I can provide a copy of the wine list if you would like.)

Finally will you agree that if you are going to the steakhouse one night anyway, and you are one of the millions of people who enjoy what most restaurants call their "house wine", the free bottle is a nice inducement to go on the first night?

I will agree with you on one thing....if the only reason you go to the steakhouse is to get a free bottle of wine and you are expecting it to be a high end wine, you will be disappointed.

But your statement calling this a $3 bottle of wine was misleading. Noone reading that statement would assume you meant it was the wholesale price -assuming that $3 is the wholesale cost. Why not quote the price it costs to make the wine at the winery? Surely if they are selling it wholesale at $3 it must have cost the winery less than that. Why not call it a $1.75 bottle of wine?

Or maybe the wine should be valued at nothing. Afterall: Galileo said: "Wine is sunlight, held together by water" and water and sunlight are free on a cruise.

• Good, bad or indifferent, retailers are selling this wine at about $10 a bottle - agreed? (check the internet if you do not believe me)
  • And gouging or not, most restaurants will mark up a bottle 2 to 3 times. agreed? (this is a common industry practice).
  • The price of a bottle of Santa Carolina Cab on board the ship is $22 and it is available in the main dining room.It is also available for $5.75 a glass in many bars on board. Agreed? (I can provide a copy of the wine list if you would like.)

Finally will you agree that if you are going to the steakhouse one night anyway, and you are one of the millions of people who enjoy what most restaurants call their "house wine", the free bottle is a nice inducement to go on the first night?

For myself, that type of bottle would NOT incline me to dine the first night.

all this math. it's free. you like it. enjoy.

Hi, I asked my ppv about this promotion and she had not hear of it. Just wondering if it is something offered on some ships, or all?

Oh and yes I expect a cheap bottle of house type wine, nothing to write home about. Curious because the first night of our cruise is our anniversary and was waivering if I wanted to go to the steak house that night.

Hi, I asked my ppv about this promotion and she had not hear of it. Just wondering if it is something offered on some ships, or all?

Oh and yes I expect a cheap bottle of house type wine, nothing to write home about. Curious because the first night of our cruise is our anniversary and was waivering if I wanted to go to the steak house that night.

We enjoy the steakhouse on the first night for several reasons: The main dining room is often disorganized and hectic and I often feel rushed. At the same time, the steakhouse is usually far less than capacity and the service is much nicer. Plus, after a long day of traveling and unpacking, it is nice to have the flexibility of a dinner time when we want it, instead of our usual late seating.

The wine is an added bonus (or not).

I highly recommmend it on the first night

It's run on every ship that has a steakhouse, as far as I know. Best off to make a rez in advance. Fantastic food and service.

Wine question.....I am not a big wine drinker...but I do love a nice zinfindel...and Love Red Cat (ever have it?)....I guess I just like sweet wines...

Anyway...which do you think I would enjoy more? The Chardonnay or the Cab??

I'd go with the Chard. It'll be full and sweeter for you.

Archived