Uxmal and shopping?

Auto Progreso lists the length of the Uxmal tour at 5 hours. Carnival says their tour is 6.5 hours. Our ship will be in Carnival from 7-3 so the Carnival excursion would take the entire day. I suppose if you got off the ship as soon as it was cleared, bought your Auto Progreso ticket and took the shuttle to the plaza in town you would have some time to shop before the Uxmal tour departs. Auto Progreso tours leave from the plaza. You can e-mail auto progreso and they will tell you specifically what time the tour will depart on your specific date and let you know if you would have time to shop.

I have heard that the prices in Progreso were better than those in Cozumel. However, since the ruins are a priority shopping may need to wait! You are so right in that shopping is everywhere, but Uxmal is the thing I am most looking forward to!!

I have heard that the prices in Progreso were better than those in Cozumel. However, since the ruins are a priority shopping may need to wait! You are so right in that shopping is everywhere, but Uxmal is the thing I am most looking forward to!!

Prices are good in Progreso, but the stuff is mostly trinkets and non-sterling jewelry. I certainly wouldn't make shopping in Progreso a priority. It is so much better in Cozumel. Also, most of the downtown stores are also on the pier in Cozumel, so you can do what you want (beach, tour, lunch) and then hit the shops on the way back to the ship. They tend to be more willing to bargain late in the day because they know the ship is leaving and they won't sell anything else that day.

That being said, if you have time in Progreso hit the market that is across the street from the plaza. It has really interesting produce, and authentic food. We were there once on a cold windy day and ended up spending a long time in the market trying all sorts of stuff (and no we didn't get sick). We also walked the Malecon, visited a hotel and looked at the rooms (really great prices) and went deeper into town and visited the local supermarket. I decided I could live there as I found everything I needed. We felt very safe and the locals were very friendly.

That makes me feel so much better!! Shopping would fit in so much better for us in Cozumel. I am not looking for anything major, just a few souvenirs. I would like to find some hand-crafted items.

I guess if I have time to shop in Progreso I will see what they have to offer. If not, then on to Cozumel!

Archived