Splendor & Mex. Riviera questions

nmyorkiemom

First, an apology if I've missed the answers to my questions somewhere.

We leave in 8 days for CA & I have a few questions maybe someone can help with.

1. Is it worth exchanging $$ for pesos here before we leave for shopping?

2. I'm confused about check in at Long Beach. We are staying at Hilton. We like to get there early, but how early? Where?

3. Is there a punching bag in the gym?

4. In Cabo for 2 days, not wanting an organized excursion. Best thing to do?

5. Shopping? What is the best 'deals'?

6. I've heard the sushi bar has 'tapas' some nights. Are these also seafood, or more traditional spanish style?

Thanks!

From my experience:

1. Didn't exchange for pesos and never had a problem. We did get change back in pesos at Stone Island is Mazatlan, but we spent those.

2. We stayed at the Hyatt and took a taxi to the port. Got there and were checked in and on the ship in less than 45 minutes, arrived around 11am.

3. I don't remember a punching bag in the gym, but I wasn't looking either.

4. Cabo we took a private ATV tour of the beaches, amazing tour by the way, but can't help you out non-excursion wise.

5. Didn't do any shopping, sorry.

6. The tapas did have more of a Spanish feel when we were on board and it wasn't sushi night.

We LOVED that trip and would def do it again. Though it is a little chilly the first and last sea day as you're cruising the Pacific, be warned. :) I was very shocked how chilly it was in June. Ports were great but sea days were chilly and windy.

1. Is it worth exchanging $$ for pesos here before we leave for shopping? Totally not necessary

2. I'm confused about check in at Long Beach. We are staying at Hilton. We like to get there early, but how early? Where? Sorry, don't know the answer to this one

3. Is there a punching bag in the gym? Don't know

4. In Cabo for 2 days, not wanting an organized excursion. Best thing to do? We went to a very nice resort called Finisterra...easy walk from tender area and free to use...you can Google it :)

5. Shopping? What is the best 'deals'? In Cabo, as soon as you exit tender area, go to the left and you will see a big market on the corner...lots of good pottery, jewlery, clothes...handmade Mexican stuff and you can bargain. There is another big store to the right of the tender area but the prices are set and it's more cheesy touristy stuff.

6. I've heard the sushi bar has 'tapas' some nights. Are these also seafood, or more traditional spanish style? Don't know

Thanks!

We stayed at the Hilton when we sailed in October. I am not a fan of sailing from Long Beach as embarkation tends to be hit or miss. I know I have bad luck but when John Heald was CD last year, he always seemed to have posts about customs taking a while for guests getting off as well.

We've gotten there as early as 10 but I have yet to get on board before 12:30. Seating isn't the best in the area either. If you get there really early, after check in, you could always walk over and see the Queen Mary.

That's great to know! My DD19 has always wanted to. We are taking her, her fiancee, DS21 & his girlfriend. Will be busy, I'm sure!

If you go to Medano beach they were offering para sailing for $35pp or $60 if two people went up together. I've never done it so I'm not sure if that's a good price or not. Also you can haggle prices with all the vendors on the beach so you may be able to get a better deal on the para sailing :)

2. I'm confused about check in at Long Beach. We are staying at Hilton. We like to get there early, but how early? Where?

6. I've heard the sushi bar has 'tapas' some nights. Are these also seafood, or more traditional spanish style?

Thanks!

1) I've been to the Mexican Riviera four times and I have never exchanged dollars for pesos.

2) Check in is at the white dome in Long Beach next door to the Queen Mary ...

LongBeachportarea.jpg

The above picture was take before the Splendor took over for the Pride.

A-Port-110.jpg

If you go to Medano beach they were offering para sailing for $35pp or $60 if two people went up together. I've never done it so I'm not sure if that's a good price or not. Also you can haggle prices with all the vendors on the beach so you may be able to get a better deal on the para sailing :)

Make sure and ask how long they take you up for. Some are cheaper, but not as long.

Cabo has Medano Beach which is beautiful if you are into relaxing. It is lined with various bars and restaurants. My two favorites, if you are not into the wild party scene, are Medano Beach Club and Tabascos. If you want to be a party animal, Billigans, the Office and Mango Deck. You might also want to consider a catamaran tour which you can book on the pier. If you want to book ahead of time, Cabo Sails and La Princessa are two that are well known. If you like something 1st class on a yacht, The Rissalena is the way to go. You can google all of those for info.

1. Is it worth exchanging $$ for pesos here before we leave for shopping? Just as everyone else has said ... no, absolutely not necessary. They love our dollars. Though I would suggest bringing smaller bills ($1s & $5s, maybe some $10s), Bargaining is a big thing there. Don't be surprised if you get change back in Pesos.

2. I'm confused about check in at Long Beach. We are staying at Hilton. We like to get there early, but how early? Where? We stayed at the Long Beach Hilton and it was very nice. We saw the ship dock from our room window. It was quite exciting. The hotel shuttled us to the pier at about 10:30 (you can set the time with them). Be prepared. As soon as they stopped at the pier there were Porters taking our bags ... have all of your paperwork (including your passports/ID) with your carry on.

3. Is there a punching bag in the gym? Never been to a gym on a ship yet ... maybe we'll check it out next time! LOL!

4. In Cabo for 2 days, not wanting an organized excursion. Best thing to do? Once you get off the tender, you will be bombarded with offers for shore excursions. You are let off in a 'shopping' area ... there will be a lot of vendors. You could shop for a bit or find your way to the beach front.

5. Shopping? What is the best 'deals'? It seems everything is cheap in Mexico and it will all be about the same in each port. I guess leather goods would be your best 'deal' ... though I'm sure someone else here may have other ideas. We didn't buy a lot.

6. I've heard the sushi bar has 'tapas' some nights. Are these also seafood, or more traditional spanish style? Don't really know about this one ... though, I have seen others answer your question.

Thanks!

You will have a great time on the Carnival Splendor, she really is beautiful. You can check out my photos (in my signature) from our Mexican Riviera trip aboard her last August. Happy cruisin'! :)

We only exchanged because otherwise it would have been CAD to USD to PESOS

We got there at 9:15 - big oops. Got on just before 1pm. I won't guess how early as this was the latest in about a dozen cruises.

Don't know.

As you need to tender - you choose the timing.

You might go into port and shop, drink by the glass or bucket, or pick excursions as you wish. Our kids did ATV, horseback riding and then we all went on a glass bottom boat, lovers beach tour.

Both Cabo and PV were great for anything

The tapas looked great, although I didn't try it.

Thanks!

Enjoy!!!

Archived