tours for $100 or less

ukinusa

I am taking the Holland America Oosterdam to Alaska this weekend. My ports include Jueanu, Sitka, Ketchikan and Victoria. At Juneau I booked the Above & Beyond glacier trek.

I am tempted to do Misty Fjords float plane in Ketchikan but have to think about the budget. What tours would you recommend at these ports (other than Juneau) that can be done in the $100 per person range? Thanks.

A rental car in Skagway costs $99 from Avis and Murray's guide online ($5) can take you to Emerald Lake. Lots of amazing scenery and wildlife to be seen along the way! Have to have your passport to go though and having car insurance would be a must, in my opinion (unless your credit card already provides it for rental cars).

Murray's guide to the south klondike highway is the one I bought.

IF you wish to see varied wildlife, then a boat tour out of Sitka, is one of the best excursions, although more than your $100 budget.

Walking tours can be had in every port for free. And all have visitor centers, which have maps. But a prior look at Fodor's Alaska, Frommer's Alaska from your library would preferable, so to not waste time in port, finding out about the sights.

If you do the Misty Fjords floatplane in Ketchikan, you'll more than double your $100/excursion budget. Having said that, it is a spectacular experience and I certainly wouldn't steer you away from doing it.

No doubt about it, Alaska excursions are some of the most pricey out there.

I think in Juneau that you can take the public bus to Mendenhall Glacier, but someone else might be better able to advise you as I have never been.

The public bus will drop you off about a mile from the Mendenhall Visitor's Center, but you can take the Glacier for $16 Round trip http://mightygreattrips.com/se_alaska_shore_excursions.htm that takes you to the Visitor's Center Parking Lot.

Just realized when I went out onto the website, that the price has gone up this year! $2 more, but then gas is over $4.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Thanks all. BudgetQueen, is there a specific wild life tour in Sitka you would recommend? I see a quite a few out there.

Several get rave reviews. You can get first hand reports by doing a search on this board, that would be helpful.

IF you want to see puffins, this is the most accessable area for cruise passengers, and the only "tour". BUT, you do need to have your tour go to St. Lazaria Island. The independents usually do, but the ship tours, it's hit or miss, and no "requests". :)

In Ketchikan:

- The Ketchikan Duck Tour - $38/Adults & $24/Children

- The Great Alaska Lumberjack Show - $35/Adults & $18/Children

- Free Walking Tour Map (you can also download here) Ketchikan is a great walking city.

- Totem Pole Parks - Totem Bight (free)/Potlach Park (free)/Saxman Native Village ($3). You can take the City Bus ($1) to any of them. Or also you can ride the Funicular up to Cape Fox Lodge and see some gorgeous totem poles right in town by Creek Street.

Lots of fun things! :-)

Archived