Jewel Vs Gem!

sailingnut

Hi, I am going in November on a cruise to the Bahamas. Which ship should I take~~the Gem which leaves NYC on 11-13-11 or the Jewel which leaves 11-12-11. Any suggestions would be welcome! I have been on the Spirit and the Dawn before.:o

Just off Gem last weekend for a CTN and sailed Jewel on your itinerary 9/2010. Same class ship but some improvements between the two years the ships were built.

I felt the layout of the Buffet on the Gem was better then the Jewel. Nicer seating as well.

No bowling alleys on the Jewel ($5 to use on Gem) actually where the bowling alley is on the Gem, Bliss lounge is where the Shops are on the Jewel. I thought it was an entire waste of space on the Jewel for the shops to have all this room compared to the Gem but the shops on the Gem were VERY crowded. Not that we shop on board. DW needed some visine.

Only other thing I noticed was up forward on the top Deck the Gem had these nice loungers, were Jewel just had normal deck chairs.

The "atrium" on Jewel is smaller, one stair case compared to two but this class of ship you do not have towering atrium. Bridge viewing room had much more interesting things on the walls on the Jewel, bare walls on the Gem.

As far as service, can't compare a CTN 1 day to a 7 day cruise on the CTN the CD didn't even introduce herself.

That it off the top of my head, feel free to ask questions. As far as sailing on Sat vs Sunday, I don't think it is a big difference. Might want to check how many ships call on Nassau on the day your there, we had Two NCL, Two RCCL and a Carnival ship mighty busy for Wednesday.

Hi, I am going in November on a cruise to the Bahamas. Which ship should I take~~the Gem which leaves NYC on 11-13-11 or the Jewel which leaves 11-12-11. Any suggestions would be welcome! I have been on the Spirit and the Dawn before.:o

I adore the Gem and have been on her twice. I have not been on the Jewel but 2 people I know that have been on both ships both like the Gem much

better.

Just wondering if the new restaurant is now opened, moderno? I see in the brochure it says coming 2011. We are sailing in august and would love to give it a try. Wonder if it is replacing the mexican restaurant. Hope not, we loved it on the dawn.

Just wondering if the new restaurant is now opened, moderno? I see in the brochure it says coming 2011. We are sailing in august and would love to give it a try. Wonder if it is replacing the mexican restaurant. Hope not, we loved it on the dawn.

I think we lose the Latin/Salsa Rest.....:(

Can anyone tell how it was to cruise out of NY in November? Was it smooth sailing or choppy? Thinking of taking the family Thanksgiving week. They have never cruised so we don't want to start them off with a bad experience.

Thanks in advance

It was not opened as of May 7th.

Tequila had wonderful food! Service is hit and miss though. I went one night and had THE best experience with both service and food. Hubby and son went back another night and while the food was good, the service was deplorable. My father and cousins (seperately) both had extremely slow service as well.

We actually like the Jewel a bit better. The colors especially the purples & lime greens get to us after a while on the Gem.

The ships are very similar but Bliss Lounge & the bowling are fun if you are looking for a party.

Sailing out of NY in November is a function of the unpredictable NY weather. One January we sailed out on glass; we even ate outside on embarkation day because it was 60F. Coming home we sailed through a n'oreaster & it was rough . . . I got bounced out of bed, sideways rain, they lashed everything down, waves were lapping up on the promenade deck & those doors were locked. :eek:

There is something to be said for a Saturday to Saturday cruise so you have Sunday to re-enter real life.

Archived