WARNING for anyone traveling to Puerto Rico-

bodog402

I live in San Juan - have lived here for 15 years. The OP is right about one thing - there are parts of Puerto Rico that are very dangerous. They're called drug "puntos" - areas that are well-known as places where people buy and sell drugs. They tend to be located within public housing projects. The overall murder rate in PR is high - but 99% of those murders involve participants in the drug trade.That being said, the drug dealers are well-armed, and so therefore the police must also be well-armed, which explains the appearance of a few (and it's only a few) officers with assault rifles.

The average cruise ship visitor or tourist will never come anywhere near a punto, and so unless they have an itch to take over another drug dealer's territory during their brief stay in San Juan, their risk of being a victim of crime is negligible - certainly no greater than in any other large metropolitan area in the U.S. or, indeed, the world. Use your common sense and enjoy your stay in San Juan without fear.

i have to disagree, this may have been true 25 years ago, right now if you look at the news many innocent people have been victims, people unrelated to crime at all and in public places far away from the ''puntos''. Sadly, this is what is happening today

We absolutely love Puerto Rico. We've been there a few times. On our last trip to San Juan in February 2009 we did a nighttime walking tour. We found Old San Juan to be lovely during the evening. Children playing in the square, people dining at bistro tables on blocked off streets and even some dancing.

It was a magical nighttime tour and it made me fall in love all over again with Puerto Rico.

Hello Everyone!

Cruise "only" 6 times (well...6 is not that much compared to others.:D) Live in PR for the last 34 years. Like one said...danger is everywhere. If you are afraid...stay in your home for the rest of your life. Cruise...travel...enjoy life...be smart...and you will be fine.:) And WELCOME to SAN JUAN,PR!

If you all just read the OP's history of posts you would not respond to anymore of this nonsense. Bad this bad that, crime here crime there, there is a pattern here. Let this thread end and be careful and safe wherever you cruise!

My sister lives in San Juan so I go there regularly. I've never had a problem there during the day (I've even walked from Old San Juan to the Condado several times) but I'm more careful at nighttime. Then there are areas I avoid, and I never travel alone. It has the problems of a big city, but don't let that stop you from visiting some of the beautiful areas of the island.

Well it seems you are pretty well informed as it is why are you bugging carnival for information you already have.

I'm pretty sure he is saying this so others are aware it doesn't sound like he is trying to bug carnival seeing this is not a carnival site:eek:

We've been to Puerto Rico many times. Never had a problem, never witnessed ANY crime. Not saying it doesn't happen but I've always felt safe walking the streets of Old San Juan. Certainly safer than walking the streets of my local big city.

When I went in 04 I did not feel safe and neither did my group of 4. We were not off the shop long before we felt we needed to get back to the ship.

Do you honestly think that Carnival or any other cruise ship would dock there if they thought their travelers were in danger? I live in NY and NYC statistic is 85,000 violent crimes per year along with 900 murders. That does not stop the city from being the “capitol of the world” millions of people travel there a day. If you use common sense and good judgment you will be fine. Don’t allow yourself to play victim. IF you feel it’s not safe than stay on the boat. I have traveled to Puerto Rico (Old San Juan) and found it safe.

Ummm. When Carnival docked in St. Croix we were the last ship to stop there because of violence. Want to know how we heard about it? Not from Carnival but from the Island people.

DDon't know where he's from, but I would guess that the crime rate is higher in places like Detroit, E. St. Louis,etc!

Puerto Ricans are Americans also!

I work in East Saint Louis and I love Puerto Rico> I feel much safer in old San Juan but E STL isn't as bas as some make it out to be...it's just poor.

When booking a cruise through Carnival and inquiring about the safety and current murder rate in Puerto Rico, the Carnival agents are directed to inform potential cruise customers that Puerto Rico’s murder rate is due largely to drugs violence only. I believe that this is a false statement that Carnival is telling potential customers as murder is happening to everyone including honest business owners, families and now apparently tourists. Violence towards tourist are rarely mentioned in the lovely brochures that Carnival provides to its customers, and since most Carnival ships arrive into San Juan late in the afternoon and most cruisers will hit the island during night hours, I honestly believe that Carnival should provide more accurate information regarding violence in Puerto Rico directed towards tourist.

With a population of under 4 million people and a murder rate of almost 475 victims this year alone, Puerto Rico is geared up for another blockbuster year and possibly hitting 1000 murders this year.

For anyone possibly thinking about a cruise that stops in Puerto Rico, I strongly suggest that they thoroughly investigate and only choose those areas that will provide security to your families !

We were in San Juan last summer. We flew there, stayed at a resort for 10 days, not on a cruise. We ventured out to restaurants, the rainforest, local areas, beaches, etc. We NEVER felt unsafe. My husband has MS and could hardly walk at the time and I am young and tiny frame. We never felt threatened or unsafe. Teens with loud music was about the onlything we say. Everyone was helpful and friendly. We don't speak any spanish and the people would try to help us or find a child to traslate for us. We loved Puerto Rico. Don't let people fool you, THis place is great!

• 1 month later...
Sadly, some of the things you say are true. Puerto Rico is going thru the worst of times and statistics do not look good if you compare them to other latin & caribbean zone countries, including Jamaica. I have never seen things this bad for so long and i think everyone that lives here agrees with me, i have seen the poll numbers. This does not mean you have to stay inside the ship, not at all. Just be aware of your surroundings like someone wrote here. One of my co-workers went to Mexico recently and had a great time in Acapulco, and things over there are not easy also. Do not let those statistics ruin your vacation, use common sense, that's all.

"JULY 21, 2011 ~ Royal Caribbean had decided to move its Serenade and Adventure of the Seas ships out from San Juan, Puerto Rico in favor of Europe as part of a business decision to chase higher revenue and that move has some in Puerto Rico worried about the relevance of the cruise industry to the island."

http://www.*****.com/2011/07/21/puerto-rico-remains-confident-royal-caribbeans-fleet-distribution-not-problem-island

My husband and I have been on this same Carnival Cruise 4 out of the last 5 years and the reason we choose it is that it leaves out of Old San Juan. We love it and we have never felt any more unsafe there than we have when we go out in Atlanta, Ga. which is 30 milesw from where we live so we go there often, but seriously we felt as safe there as anywhere else!

There is only one real area near old town to be concerned about and I wouldnt worry about it much. I work in law enforcement and know very well about the drug cartels and the gang activity in SJ. I have been to SJ many times and have never once feared for my safety. Just be aware of your surroundings and stay in the tourist areas and you wont have any issues while in SJ.

La Perla! I grew in the outskirts of San Juan from 55-66, and it used to be a much different place than it is now. In those days, I wouldn't have gone into LaPerla with a team of Seals! Now, Old San Juan is beautiful, safe to walk through, and fascinating. La Perla is on the hill overlooking the ocean between the two forts. Perfectly safe to pass by during the day.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I guess it depends where you are from and how street saavy you are. i was there with my 11 and 13 yo old and other of 70yo and we walked old san juan and felt safe. there were many police around. granted...i am sure there is bad crap going down but i'm gonna show my kids some culture and keep them safe by walking down lit streets and not dark alleys. turn around if it doesn't feel right and make sure there are others around you.

"JULY 21, 2011 ~ Royal Caribbean had decided to move its Serenade and Adventure of the Seas ships out from San Juan, Puerto Rico in favor of Europe as part of a business decision to chase higher revenue and that move has some in Puerto Rico worried about the relevance of the cruise industry to the island."

http://www.*****.com/2011/07/21/puerto-rico-remains-confident-royal-caribbeans-fleet-distribution-not-problem-island

You did notice that the ships are returning to the Caribbean during the Winter months didn't you? They are moving many of their ships to Europe during the summer months, so this is really not a huge surprise.

• 4 weeks later...
La Perla! I grew in the outskirts of San Juan from 55-66, and it used to be a much different place than it is now. In those days, I wouldn't have gone into LaPerla with a team of Seals! Now, Old San Juan is beautiful, safe to walk through, and fascinating. La Perla is on the hill overlooking the ocean between the two forts. Perfectly safe to pass by during the day.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

My only possible disagreement is that I still would want the Seals to walk down to La Perla with me - any tourist who visits there without a preexisting personal connection is a more than a bit odd.

As of June 20, 2011, there were 525 murders in PR (last year's total was 983). In contrast, New York city, which has a population over double PR's reported 199 murders during this same time period and 536 total for 2010.

Between 1980 - 2005, the murder rate in PR was 19 per 100,000 versus 8 per 100,000 on the mainland. (Source NY Times, June 20, 2011)

So, while all big cities have crime, Puerto Rico has more than its share of homicides. Does that mean you shouldn't visit PR? No, just learn the facts and then make up your own mind.

Archived