San Juan Hotels?

ckrobyn

Just booked the Adventure out of San Juan for Jan/06 !

Can anyone recommend a nice hotel that is not outrageously priced? I know San Juan is typically expensive....

All advice is greatly appreciated :)

Which pier is it going to be docked at? The Sheraton OSJ is just across the street from the main pier. You may be too far out but I was able to get this hotel for $84 for April ( had to wait until 8 weeks before cruise). Last year I got the Intercontinental for $135 for Easter weekend thru Priceline. Check out betterbidding for more info. The Sheraton had good reviews plus it's right in OSJ (no beach). The Intercontinental is in Isle Verde- great pools, spa, and a nice beach

http://betterbidding.com/

We stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan in February. Read a lot of bad reviews but it was actually quite decent and comfortable! Had a great room with a view of the water and stayed up "late" (lol 10:30 ish hey we left Toronto at like 7 am) and saw Serenade sail by all lit up and pretty.

The bed was very nice. It was very clean too and nicely decorated. I'd stay there again. I'm not sure of the price since my mom booked it but I don't think it was really expensive. The top floor where the pool is was nice too and we went up in the morning and saw AOS, Golden and Destiny. Cool view.

It was nice to walk around Old San Juan. Went to Senor Frog's for dinner. The next morning we woke up early and walked to El Morro and got back to check out at 10:30 and took the taxi to the pier.

I was told by my TA that Old San Juan is not the safest of areas to stay in....anyone have opinions on that?

Old San Juan is probably the safest place to be within San Juan! It is patrolled by three seperate police forces as they want the visitor's to feel safe. I have walked OSJ from the pier to El Morro and everywhere in between from morning into the wee hours of the next morning and never felt like I shouldn't have been there.

There are several posts for this so maybe do a search on here too but I just booked at the Coral Princess Inn - seems more caribbean than some of these large chain hotels. It is in Condado area within walking distance to the restaurants, beach, etc. Booked it thru Expedia.com but can book direct thru the hotel at http://www.coralpr.com - they get rave reviews on tripadvisor.com and are the #2 hotel for San Juan based on the reviews so that's saying ALOT! We are staying there one night pre-cruise mid-Apirl and are paying $145 for a King bed, the rates start at $99 and go up to around $165 if I remember right it just depends on the beds, bed sizes, time of year, etc.

We stayed there a year ago now -- I bid on Priceline after doing a lot of homework and got the Caribe Hilton-- We could not have been happier-- it is beautiful, safe, easy to get to. We walked around from there.

I am so jealous!!!

Anyway, if you know priceline, do a little homework at biddingfortravel.com -- it's a 4* pick resort in San Juan, we got it for $60 for several nights in March (2004) --

I know you get on hotwire for about $150/night. You have so much time -- it's worth the trouble to mess with priceline.

Peacocks roam the grounds, pool, beach, and you can sign up online for the hilton honors card (free) and have free wine and hors deovures every evening, and breakfast free each morning.

sigh,,,,,,,, so jealous.......

If you need help email me at nancyray7@yahoo.com

Thanks for all of the excellent advice :)

Priceline freaks me out. I don't think my personality ( detail and control oriented) will allow me to "go out on a limb"! I need to know exactly what I am paying for....but that's just me.

I have booked the intercontinental and I'm happy with it. Who knows..maybe the rate will go down? LOL

Our reservations at the Wyndham Condado in San Juan were not honored when we arrived Feb 26. They sent us to a horrible place in a horrible neighborhood (Excelsior Hotel). Terrible neighborhood, filthy, elevator was out of service, only a "freight elevator", rude staff. We went back to the Condado and raised the devil, whereupon they sent us to the Intercontinental. What a beautiful place! Live entertainment, several bars, a great restaurant. The beach was fabulous, the rooms had excellent views, the staff was friendly and efficient. Stay there if you can!

JP

Archived