Cinque Terra tour with RCI

swcruise

Hi fellow cruisers,

I am hoping you can help me out here. I have read a lot about this area and this sounds a fabulous day excursion. I do have some concerns as I am travelling with my folks who are in their mid 70's.They are in good health (TG) and have no mobility problems (probably don't walk as quick as younger people......). Here is the blurb from the RCI site at the foot of the email.

I would be interested in feedback from other people of this age group who have taken this day out.

How strenous is the walk on Street of Love, path on seaside going to Rio Maggiore and how long is it ?

I guess they could chill in Vernazza and people watch if they wanted to take a rest ??

The visit to Monterosso al mare, what is the walking like here and again could they chill and rejoin the coach if they wanted to ??

I don't think they will want to take breaks but just trying to cover the bases if needs be, don't want to ruin it for them or fellow tour members.

All feedback and comments welcome.

Leaving Livorno, drive north for 1.5 hrs passing Pisa & resorts of Viareggio & Forte dei Marmi until Manarola, 1st of 5 land villages from where you'll begin tour. Cinque Terre is National Park & territory protected by UNESCO. In Manarola enjoy walking on Street of Love, path on seaside going to Rio Maggiore. Board motorboat for short ride to Vernazza, where you'll enjoy free time. Visit Monterosso al mare. After introduction, have free time to explore. Return to ship via coach. Note: must walk approx 2 hrs over various surfaces, extended periods of standing & numerous steps. Tour does not include lunch. See full description for complete notes.

Ready to reserve this excursion?

cor_findcruisesthatfeatthis.gif

s.gif

s.gif

Leaving the port of Livorno, you will drive north for approximately 1.5 hours passing Pisa and the famous beach resorts of Viareggio and Forte dei Marmi until Manarola, the first of the five land villages from where you will start your excursion.

Cinque Terre is a National Park and territory protected by UNESCO. This zone is characterized by the presence of typical steep slopes cultivated with vines thanks to terraces, unique witness of the transformation of the territory carried out by man's hard work. The suggestive kind of coast falling sheer to the sea, with cliffs which are often vertical, alternated with small creeks and enchanting beaches among rocks, with depths rich in fish, make this territory a real Natural "work of art." In Manarola you will enjoy walking along the "Street of Love," a spectacular path along the seaside that goes until Rio Maggiore. There you will board a motorboat for a short ride to Vernazza, a picturesque fishing village where you will enjoy time at leisure. No visit to Cinque Terre is complete without visiting Monterosso al mare, probably the most famous of the 5 lands for the characteristic historical center. After a guide introduction, you will have free time to explore the tiny shops and nice restaurants. To return to the ship in Livorno, your coach will be ready for the return drive.

Note: Guests must be able to walk for approximately 2 hours over various surfaces, with extended periods of standing and numerous steps. Comfortable walking shoes are recommended. This tour does not include lunch. In case of bad sea conditions this tour will be operated by bus and train. Passengers will go to Manarola by coach, walk along the "Street of Love" until Riomaggiore and than proceed by train to Vernazza and Monterosso. Due to the nature of this tour, it is not recommended for guests with walkers of wheelchairs.

I toured Cinque Terre in October with a group that included two 80+ year olds, several folks in their 70's in varying degrees of heath and conditioning, one extremely obese man and one person in a wheelchair. Even this group managed a lot of the area, so I'm sure your folks will be fine.

The walk down into Manarola from the parking lot where the buses drop you off is quite steep. If either of your parents have knee problems, a walking stick might make them feel more secure. Hikiing/camping store sells collapsing ones that take up little room and weigh next to nothing.

The Via dell'Amore is a relatively easy walk but can be extremely crowded at times. It's a safe bet that on a cruise ship full of Americans that your parents won't be the slowest people on the excursion, so don't let that concern hold you back.

My Dad was 70 and it was a hot day and he did great! He still raves about that as being his favorite excursion on our trip. Do it- I LOVED it! You have plenty of downtime on the ferries and bus on the way and back. Its not strenuous. The Path of Love (which is awesome!) is a flat mile walk that anyone can do. It was great. I am so glad you are doing it!

Thank you for your words of encouragement, I will show this excursion to my folks when I meet them this weekend. Hopefully the will be excited by it and your words will encourage them along. It will be the 31st August when we are there, so I hope that won't be too hot.

There are no bathrooms on the buses but there is on the ferry. There are restrooms in the cafes and restaurants and my Dad an I had a glass of vino at one place and a full lunch at the end in a nice little air conditioned restaurant. It should be fine. We were there in late July and there is a bit of a breeze off the water so its comfortable. My dad had bipass surgery before our cruise and he is only in moderately good shape and he loved it. For me it was a breeze. There is no "hiking" its not that kind of tour. You will all like it because there aren't the mobs of people and the tour is about scenery more than doing museums. It relaxing and stunningly beautiful. You cover alot of territory and all it was just wonderful- you go past Pisa and are in olive growing region, then the clifflike villages and the terraced vineyards of the Cinque Terre. Returning you go a slightly different route and the scenery was again beautiful. I really enjoyed it and want to do it again.

We did the excursion offered by NCL last July. It sounds the same as RCI's. My parents who were in their mid-70's did just fine. They have no mobility issues though. The walk along Lover's Path is not very strenuous at all and the boat ride offers a little bit of rest and a break from the heat if you are going during the summer months. Take a spray bottle of water with you and also a travel roll of toilet paper. This was very helpful to all of us. Also, don't forget to take a padlock with you to place on the rails of Lover's Path. It is supposed to ensure everlasting love. We saw thousands of cleverly decorated ones. I guess that helps to find it again if you ever return. Have a great time.

Archived