May 8th Cuban Refugee's

on saturday cruising home between florida and cuba we come apon a small wooden boat with 9 refugees from cuba. Allure resuces them and the coast gaurd come to pick them up from the boat an hour or so later.

Only snapped 1 picture of their boat

Maybe others can post better pictures?

IMG_0570.jpg.55ae0e356f5e769037f71f479f080e0a.jpg

on saturday cruising home between florida and cuba we come apon a small wooden boat with 9 refugees from cuba. Allure resuces them and the coast gaurd come to pick them up from the boat an hour or so later.

Only snapped 1 picture of their boat

Maybe others can post better pictures?

*** hey looks like me and my family in 1962!!! they will be sent back I sure per yjr wetfoot /ryfoot policy

I have pictures of the rescue boat heading out to get them. How do I put them up? Also - the captain announced they were handed over to the coast guard but then later Ken Rush said they were still on board. Did you hear that?

I have pictures of the rescue boat heading out to get them. How do I put them up? Also - the captain announced they were handed over to the coast guard but then later Ken Rush said they were still on board. Did you hear that?

I didnt hear what Rush said but I saw them take them to the coast gaurd boat. I had bnoculars and it looked like one was a woman. I also watched them from my balcony.

We were also on this cruise and watched this unfold. Evidently their boat was leaking and yes, there was a woman onboard. They kept yelling "Cuba, Cuba" as they were being rescued. Unfortunately they didn't get to experience Allure before the Coast Guard collected them. When they said "Oscar, Oscar, Oscar" over the loudspeakers we at first thought it was man overboard. You never want to hear "Alpha, Alpha, Alpha" that is the code for fire. Great video of the remaining four in the boat.

Good story and information from passengers as well. My perception was that this boat was better prepared than some we have seen, at least all of the occupants had hats and I saw at least a few life vests.

anyone know what happens to them after they were handed over to the coast guard?

They get a ride back home to Cuba.

Unless they can city a reason for asylum and the economic poverty of Cuba does not qualify, the USCG either drops them in a Cuban port or transfers them to the Cuban authorities for a ride to the dock in Cuba.

MiamiLady...glad your boat made it safely the entire journey.

Many friends I had in Tampa while in Grad School also had come over on a boat, literally! Some were pretty young...some were just babies when their parents brought them over. All wonderful people!

Archived